British Speedway Forum

Somerset v Poole Prem A. 20/6/18

7 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

For me I don't think they are a team at the moment.

Matt is constantly looking for replacements whilst Middlo constantly defends poor performances and makes excuses for them.

I don't think it's that..Riders don't want to ride for Poole. Money is tight and loyalty is thin.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

Well just got back. Result was never in doubt even though it went down to heat 15. The problem is we don’t have a Chris Holder figure to win heats when it matters. We were never going to get anything out of 13 and 15. In heat 14 Sundstrom rode an absolute blinding defending ride to bring home the bonus. The team as a whole rode well, except Kurtz and Grazonek who were worse than abysmal. Off the pace all night, or riding team mates wide to allow a Somerset reserve though.

We were lucky to get a point as Somerset through away 2 5-1s as riders had a puncture or fell last bend.

Grazonek needs to go. Sorry but he just hasn’t improved and tonight on a track he knows well, he was woeful.

• Like 1

I transcribed an audio recording of Garry May being interviewed at the start of tonight's meeting over the Charles Wright incident. Many fans around seemed really rattled that Charles had gone. 

"Garry May : “Heat 4 ...we were 6 points down, gate 1 was good, Charles had had a bad race and  so I decided to put Jason Doyle in and it all kicked off, it was really bad, you know, swearing and that…and I can't take that. Anyway I let it go, I thought it was heat of the moment stuff and anyway and he went out and won the race so I was hoping he’d come and apologise… I need to keep to team manage, I made that decision and it all kicked off and afterwards it kicked off again and obviously I was just waiting for him to apologise to me. I gave him Thursday, Friday, Saturday before I started talking to other riders … if he wasn’t going to come back in the team, i would have had to use a National League rider. All I wanted was an apology...even if he didn’t mean it, he would be here tonight. That’s all I wanted. I’m his boss at the end of the day and as team manager I need to make decisions and that’s what I decided."

(announcer recaps) 

GM : “the aim is to win all the home matches and the aim is make the play offs when you’re six points down ….Charles is a good rider but when you’ve got the world champion sitting there and Jason would have done the race..  It’s hard because I helped Charles out financially this year and all the time he has been here and for him to turn round and treat me like that, I can’t take it because I’m the manager and I have to make decisions and if he kicks off and the others kick off, there’s no point in me being here, I might as well walk.

All I wanted was him to text me and say “Yeah, I’m very sorry about the other night” …I know it’s  adrenaline and that, and I even put him in Heat 15, so there’s nothing against him, I thought that pairing of Wright and Doyley would give me the 3-3 plus so Wolves would get no points

Announcer question:  As we are now Garry, if Charles was to apologise to you now would you take him back?

GM : "I don’t know if the rules would let me do it, but if the rules would do…. but its unfair on the other riders tonight… I just can’t say that at all"

2 hours ago, Countershaftcounter said:

Good old Kacper, taking lots of money from Matt. 

Seriously. Are you telling me that there’s NO English guys out there who could do with the track time ( and no doubt a bit of money) and score better than the embarrassment that has been the 2018 pirates. 

Matts  win at all costs has certainly come an bitten him on the ãrse this season. 

Josh Auty apparently is in good form although his top flight record is atrocious.

2 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Point is not good enough tonight.

Vissing and Covatti not even dialled in yet. Allen having his worst meeting for ages and we still only nicked a point by a whisker.

An away point is always good enough. It’s the minimum you want from every away match.

3 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Josh Auty apparently is in good form although his top flight record is atrocious.

An away point is always good enough. It’s the minimum you want from every away match.

I think every team would take a point for every away meeting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Middlo is not the problem, Matt Ford and Middlo are a team, just unfortunately made a couple of bad decisions that are hurting us at the moment

Worst decision was not keeping Hans Andersen......Hows he doing this season??

Clue: Currently 4th in the Premiership averages.......Great decision to let him go to Leicester.......NOT!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

Vissing is going to be the worst signing in the top flight since toby jo donned the skull n crossbones many moons ago.

It defies belief how the rebs have slung wright out tbh

Unfortunately was sacked for other reasons nothing to do with his scoring.

Midsummer brought a determined Poole side eager to make up for their KO cup thrashing by the Rebels earlier in the season. With former riders a plenty, a close match was in the offing. 

A big crowd listened intently to Garry May’s explanation to the incident involving Charles Wright before the meeting got underway. It was fair to say he received a reasonable ovation afterwards. 

The Meeting burst into life in heat 6 when BWD held off both Szczepaniak and the sluggish looking Brady Kurtz to regain a slender lead for the Rebels. Jake Allen looking fast and furious on what used to be the “Charles Wright racing line” suddenly came to an abrupt halt with a rear tyre puncture whilst second, before some gutsy riding from the impressive Kacper Woryna brought the Pirates back into the match. Woryna’s 5 points in the previous match here paled into insignificance as he simply attacked the track like he knew it inside out. His victory over Jason Doyle was won fair and square much to the delight of the Pirates large following  

Jack Holder was once again in magnificent form and looks the real deal at the moment. To think in the last few seasons he has looked ordinary at best around the OTA, but he appears to have sewn the circuit up completely now. Doyle joined his Aussie colleague up front with an exquisite inside pass on both Kurtz and an equally sluggish Josh Grajczonek in heat 13; and this particular partnership is giving Somerset some heavy artillery in the latter races now. 

Allen continued with his wretched luck hitting a huge rut which suddenly appeared on the third bend, before he crashed heavily to the ground  he was narrowly and skilfully avoided by the following Linus Sundstrom and Kurtz, saving Allen from certain injury  

Sundstrom, along with his two Polish team mates kept the Pirates in contention, but in essence, Poole huffed and puffed and were fortunate to steal a point  

A word also for debutant Nico Covatti who was in the mix throughout. His spectacular all action style will soon make him a fans favourite I am sure. Covatti himself did provide a moment of amusement in the bar during the rider of the night presentation. Whilst Jason Doyle was taking Q and A from a packed clubhouse, meeting announcer Rod Cork not recognising the new signing, mistakenly approached the Argentinian born racer and asked him if he had a question for the Somerset skipper. Covatti, looking quite surprised, looked up and asked the world champion, “How did I do?”  bringing much hilarity from the Somerset faithful. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Well tha proved a fantastic move signing Vissing :rofl: A bit of karma there for Charles :D

Hardly 'karma' when he's lost his job through being a berk and then not being a big enough man to apologise. Pretty sure that Vissing & Covatti will prove their worth going forward, and while it's a shame to see a British rider lose his spot it seems he brought it on himself.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ghosty said:

ALWAYS good racing @ the Oak Tree, I would expect the score to be 50ish to 40ish in Somersets favour with Jason Doyle putting on a Stirling performance in front of  Mark Webber!

Nice to be smug with my perdition of the result, 48 to 42 not that far away!

Biggest factor in last nights result for me was Richard Lawson getting stuck-in & passing the pirates, I've not seen the son of god ride like that before @ the Oaktree... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Nice to be smug with my perdition of the result, 48 to 42 not that far away!

Biggest factor in last nights result for me was Richard Lawson getting stuck-in & passing the pirates, I've not seen the son of god ride like that before @ the Oaktree... 

A few of us commented on Lawson last night too. Much more aggressive and like you say really getting stuck in. Much more like the rider of the year last year that was - Great to see.

A word for Nico Covatti too... Looked poor in his first ride but came to life afterwards and was all set for his second win in heat 14 when the red lights came on.