British Speedway Forum

Somerset v Poole Prem A. 20/6/18

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Not sure how the Rebels will be with Vissing and Covatti in for Wright and Jeppesen.

The moral here is clearly 'Don't mess with Garry May'!! :rolleyes:

Personally think something else has happened. How long has Wright been at Somerset and never been any problems...? Never seemed to cause any problems at Poole unlike another Somerset rider! 

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Personally think something else has happened. How long has Wright been at Somerset and never been any problems...? Never seemed to cause any problems at Poole unlike another Somerset rider! 

Well so far we have heard:

1) presentation night last season

2) rowing with the trackman last week

3) disagreement with Gary May over his choice of tactics

so.... take your pick really!

23 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Well so far we have heard:

1) presentation night last season

2) rowing with the trackman last week

3) disagreement with Gary May over his choice of tactics

so.... take your pick really!

Not worth the bother then is he 

Covatti goes well at the OTA. I’m assuming he will be at reserve. If that is the case then he would form a pretty strong partnership there with Jake Allen. 

The other change appears to weaken the engine room in my opinion. 

Charles Wright has always been a 100% rider for the Rebels and his never say die attitude will definitely be missed. He was a hugely popular figure at the OTA and has some decent sponsorship tied up in the area. 

With the thrill a minute speedway that he always dished up came some tantrums though. It appears this time he has pushed it a touch too far. 

• Like 1

Having two strong reserves is of no real benefit at the cost of a heat leader. Charles Wright has been riding in a heat leader position since the start of the season and has been relied upon to be a heat leader too. The way our team is set out it will be a constant swap between Allen and Wilson-Dean for our first choice reserve position. It's no use having two decent reserves if you haven't got anybody giving back up to Doyle at the top end.

One has to wonder, why Ricky Wells hasn't been signed up? Maybe he was an option and for whatever reason it didn't happen, but he would of been much more like for like as oppose to Vissing.

First and foremost, I support Somerset and not individual riders - So I really hope this works out for the club as at the moment it looks lose-lose for club, riders and fans involved with nobody gaining.

Edited by Najjer

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Not worth the bother then is he 

Where are you coming from with a comment like that !!! He has been a bloody good servant to the club and if he has gripes about the track or tactics he should at least be listened to providing it is without dissent ! He is of good character and a bloody good team man also he is loyal to a fault !!! I think and hope that May will live to regret this move !

37 minutes ago, Aroundtheboards said:

Where are you coming from with a comment like that !!! He has been a bloody good servant to the club and if he has gripes about the track or tactics he should at least be listened to providing it is without dissent ! He is of good character and a bloody good team man also he is loyal to a fault !!! I think and hope that May will live to regret this move !

You hope that May will regret this move and you call yourself a Somerset supporter. I don't think any fan would wish their club would take a downward turn for one rider. 

While I agree Wright has been a good servant and a popular rider if he made his position untenable then no rider is bigger than the club. I'm as big a fan of Wright as anyone but if he is arguing in the pits and demanding money to attend the end of season presentation night then the club is right. I don't think Vissing is the answer though. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, rebelwonderkid said:

You hope that May will regret this move and you call yourself a Somerset supporter. I don't think any fan would wish their club would take a downward turn for one rider. 

While I agree Wright has been a good servant and a popular rider if he made his position untenable then no rider is bigger than the club. I'm as big a fan of Wright as anyone but if he is arguing in the pits and demanding money to attend the end of season presentation night then the club is right. I don't think Vissing is the answer though. 

I am a Speedway supporter and I like to see things done with common sense. May is no big shakes as team manager he was not a lot better as a rider. A stern talking to would have sufficed. Instead he has shot him self in the foot.

Unless anybody knows exactly what Wright did or said then how can they say that the club have done the wrong thing? As good as he has been on track there is always a line which an employee / contractor cannot cross and IF he has done that people can't complain.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Unless anybody knows exactly what Wright did or said then how can they say that the club have done the wrong thing? As good as he has been on track there is always a line which an employee / contractor cannot cross and IF he has done that people can't complain.

Not for the first time, the voice of reason. Good post.

I think the biggest issue is not that Wright has gone, it's more what he's been replaced with.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Aroundtheboards said:

I am a Speedway supporter and I like to see things done with common sense. May is no big shakes as team manager he was not a lot better as a rider. A stern talking to would have sufficed. Instead he has shot him self in the foot.

If Gary gets shot there is clearly a reason for it.

2 hours ago, Aroundtheboards said:

We don't know what went on in the pits so cannot say it was just a "talking to" situation. For me the main problem is who we got in rather than why Wright went. Someone like Wells/ Riss would have been better options.

Covatti for Jeppesen tbh strengthens us at reserve imo. Jeppesen is going to be a good rider but his gating needs improving. 

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Changes seem to make team weaker. Will make a visit when track sorted out, mostly gate 1 against Wolves and comment that outside line not working, hope they get it sorted.

There was plenty of passing, including around the outside.