British Speedway Forum

Team USA at the SoN

Interesting comment from Gino Manzares in the latest Speedway Star, about his riding for the USA Team in the Speedway of Nations Race-Off in Germany. He does not seem to be a happy chappy with Team USA anymore!  For him it was ...

..."a long journey for absolutely nothing!"

And it was not just his unfortunate crash in the race against the Slovenians that left Manzares unhappy.

Quote: "It didn't help every time coming in from races when I heard the USA Team talking about how they wished Luke Becker was in, not me. This was right in front of me, so I'm like, 'oh, great, thanks guys.'

"All I was told all night was that I wasn't using the right lines. But I was still able to gate with These guys and lead them up for a lap or two, but I just didn't have the horsepower. We asked if I could use Greg's or Luke's bikes but was told no."

"Looking back, I should not have said yes to doing the Meeting. I should have done what Ricky (Wells) did and said no. For a start, I'm out of pocket on it, 100 per Cent. We had to cover everyting (expenses) at our end so we'll see if we get anything out of it. I'm sure I won't see anything, just like all the rest of the World Cups that I've never been paid for. [...]"

Gino sounds pretty frustrated. I wonder who paid the expences for USA team manager Lance King's trip to Germany?

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

As I said elsewhere some of these teams could only just afford two riders,so not sure how they will cope if it compulsory 3 next year...I thought this would be the last time we see the US anyway

Not sure,but thought there was some campaign to pay expenses in the US with donations and sponsors asked for....might be mistaken though

Edited by iris123

True, I believe the Americans thought they had found a cheap solution with Greg Hancock and Luke Becker being based in Poland, and willing to ride.

Problem arose when Becker was injured and a substitute was needed.

Donators and sponsors from America never really warmed for the Speedway of Nations, no in the same way as for the Speedway World Cup. 

10 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Donators and sponsors from America never really warmed for the Speedway of Nations, no in the same way as for the Speedway World Cup. 

It wasn't the format, it was the timing. They couldn't sell sponsorship effectively when the format was announced so late. With a full cycle they will have a much better shot at getting sponsorship as they can actually sell a known product.