British Speedway Forum

Workington cornets V Glasgow tigers SATURDAY. 2/6/2018 7 pm start .. NOT league meeting ,

Workington were lucky/Glasgow unlucky tonight; if not for the Vissing slide-off in heat 10 (perhaps a result of the earlier third bend overwatering fiasco?) and his EF in heat 12, the points should have been Glasgows for the taking.

Fair play to the Workington management for having faith in a local rider, but it's beginning to look like a case of too much too soon for young Kyle, I fear the team will be carrying him for the rest of the season.

33 minutes ago, Blue Groove said:

Workington were lucky/Glasgow unlucky tonight; if not for the Vissing slide-off in heat 10 (perhaps a result of the earlier third bend overwatering fiasco?) and his EF in heat 12, the points should have been Glasgows for the taking.

Fair play to the Workington management for having faith in a local rider, but it's beginning to look like a case of too much too soon for young Kyle, I fear the team will be carrying him for the rest of the season.

I know he is young,but find Kyle disappointing though he would have been more on the pace .

Feel sorry for Kyle cause the rules for this season have worked against him always been up against strong experienced hardened reserves and no so called weak links in the opposition but he's trying his best and that's all you can ask and in time he will start to pick up some pts to build his confidence with a bit of luck.lets be honest this season is a learning curve for the lad.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Blue Groove said:

workington were unlucky as well , having 2 proven heat leaders just out for a jolly . falls and e/f.s are all part of speedway and always will be . just got to get a big win @ Edinburgh lol 

10 minutes ago, comet49 said:

It would have been easier for Kyle last season when there were other riders under 3. The reserves of other teams are a lot stronger now, as long as he keeps scoring for his Belle Vue team he’ll be ok. 

It is very tough especially being at number 6 if you fail in heat 2 usually it is going to be a tough evening keep faith he will be ok.

• Like 1

I have no problems with Kyle. This year will stand him, and hopefully us in good stead for next year. As others have said the problems, if indeed there are problems lie elsewhere.

I still believe we have a decent and well balanced team, however a couple need to find a little more consistency which is not being helped by a lack of track time at DP.

Tonight the track was very tricky, not helped by the over zealous watering but there was some decent racing from those who dared. Richie and Bomber were particularly impressive and were always going to provide tough opposition in 13 and 15, therefore the Comets did well to salvage a draw in the end - though unless we can come up with another away performance like we had at Peterborough and Glasgow it looks like the draw will be enough for Glasgow.

As for Mr klint looking left and right to wave an opposition rider through in more than one heat is taking the p*** , but all sorts of rumours going round, understand riders need the money!!! but fans are spending well earned money to be entertained, wonder if any quotes are coming through from the promotion ? Another 3 weeks to next home meeting

• Like 2

Yet another match lost by our underperforming 1 and 5. 

As for the fiasco with the third bend overwatering, it's no wonder we are losing fans. Which other sporting event would leave the public sitting for 20 minutes in silence without the slightest indication of what the problem was. I know they can only announce so much but anything would be better then nothing. The sport gets more unprofessional every week. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, scaniaman said:

if the rumour is true about riders not being paid,then why don,t the protest and not ride.or are they not interested in racing for the comets .some thing needs sorted before they start slipping down the league  

If they refuse to ride they'd get banned, better to ride under protest , of course that is IF these unconfirmed rumours are true 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cometbaz said:

Yet another match lost by our underperforming 1 and 5. 

As for the fiasco with the third bend overwatering, it's no wonder we are losing fans. Which other sporting event would leave the public sitting for 20 minutes in silence without the slightest indication of what the problem was. I know they can only announce so much but anything would be better then nothing. The sport gets more unprofessional every week. 

I agree that the fiasco of overwatering the 3rd bend and no information given was unacceptable.  We were watching the riders standing about at first bend and then a couple of them went over to 3rd bend to inspect the track and no announcement was made for 20 minutes. And why so much water was put down when in fact it was raining at the time is just plain madness. Other than that it was a good meeting with some good racing. Shame that there were not more people to see it, no wonder there are rumours of riders not getting paid, I can't see how Laura can pay them if that is the normal crowd level and that was with about 100 Glasgow fans. I fear for the future of Workington speedway, Laura has put everything into saving it but she needs more to people to come through the door or some big support from sponsorship.  We know how that feels at Glasgow, yes we are getting slagged as the millionaires but before the Faccennas took over we were concerned every season if we would be running the next. I sincerely hope the Comets can survive.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dorothy58 said:

I agree that the fiasco of overwatering the 3rd bend and no information given was unacceptable.  We were watching the riders standing about at first bend and then a couple of them went over to 3rd bend to inspect the track and no announcement was made for 20 minutes. And why so much water was put down when in fact it was raining at the time is just plain madness. Other than that it was a good meeting with some good racing. Shame that there were not more people to see it, no wonder there are rumours of riders not getting paid, I can't see how Laura can pay them if that is the normal crowd level and that was with about 100 Glasgow fans. I fear for the future of Workington speedway, Laura has put everything into saving it but she needs more to people to come through the door or some big support from sponsorship.  We know how that feels at Glasgow, yes we are getting slagged as the millionaires but before the Faccennas took over we were concerned every season if we would be running the next. I sincerely hope the Comets can survive.

Agreed,...

It truly must be a nightmare trying to run a Speedway track with the Operating Model that the Sport (over here) uses..

An Operating Model, that fundamentally by its very content, surely cannot hope to help ANY track be successful...

Yet year on year seems to be blindly followed (and agreed to) by the very people who invariably struggle by its usage... :(

I really do find it quite staggering that 'successful business people' slavishly follow an 'obviously unfit for purpose' Operating Model without making any radical changes to it to help improve their position..

Couldn't make it up sometimes could you?:blink:

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, scaniaman said:

if the rumour is true about riders not being paid,then why don,t the protest and not ride.or are they not interested in racing for the comets .some thing needs sorted before they start slipping down the league  

this is normal in speedway though aint it 

rumours regarding getting paid on time 

also with so many away meetings and none at home then where does the money come from to pay them 

out of the owners own pocket again 

we couldn't go too long without getting paid from our day jobs could we 

I was told years ago the team captin signed a document at meetings stating all was well don't know if this is true or not but suerly that's the place to state if there not getting paid 

also theres a few riders who know how to play the game 

"were not getting paid " then a sponsor/fan slips them a little to help them out

ive seen it all before 

Edited by scaramanga
  • Like 1