British Speedway Forum

Somerset vs Leicester 18/04/18

2 minutes ago, drew2 said:

Not the only one tonight he made either! Only he saw that Kyle Newman finished third in heat 6........ when Jake actually beat him easily with a hard but fair pass on bends 3/4. Kyle seemed happy to dish it out in heat one with a hefty shoulder charge to knock Jake off but didn't take it when the boot was on the other foot in heat 6. 

That's true. Half of them are happy to dish out but can't take it back.

Looks like Jason is playing safe with his average this year and keeping it on the sensible side of 8.

8 hours ago, Najjer said:

That was the way I saw it, but Willowman stood next to me thought BWD binned it. People on the backstraight were up in arms when BWD was excluded so I assumed there was plenty of contact also! If there was contact, another error to go on the ref's list for the evening!

i was on the back straight Najjer and Bradley was brought down i'm sure the ref didn't realise he was down as it took him until turn 1 & 2 before he stopped the race

20 minutes ago, idh said:

i was on the back straight Najjer and Bradley was brought down i'm sure the ref didn't realise he was down as it took him until turn 1 & 2 before he stopped the race

Ref had abit of a howler last night!

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

Looks like Jason is playing safe with his average this year and keeping it on the sensible side of 8.

Christ we've only had 2 meetings! That's the sort of post I would come to expect from someone like Shovlar and not yourself! I'm certainly giving him the benefit of the doubt after a big crash in Poland only recently.

7 hours ago, rebelwonderkid said:

Couldn't be there tonight but what was the crowd and track like? Was it any different with the work and a new curator? 

A very healthy crowd, I arrived just after 7 and they were already in the second car park. Track was good with passing on the inside and outside. Plenty of dirt on it!

5 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

newman trying to put it over the young guns ,only fires them up as allen showed ,he has to remember that an elephant never forgets and rarely forgives ! good comeback from rebels , will be hard to beat when they all get some track time

Think that sums it up pretty well. Newman had Allen off in the first heat before a good race between the two of them in heat 6. Newman seemed to take exception to getting beat and tried to have Allen off again after the race before Allen avoided that and dumped Newman on his ass instead. Karma you could say.

13 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Christ we've only had 2 meetings! That's the sort of post I would come to expect from someone like Shovlar and not yourself! I'm certainly giving him the benefit of the doubt after a big crash in Poland only recently.

It was a genuine comment, even if it does prove incorrect.

Jason tweeted last year that it looked like he might have ridden himself out of a job, and I said at the time that I wondered if he would keep himself below 8 this year, so I'm just interested to see if he does.

It's not a criticism. For example, why bust a gut in heat 15 if the match is already won and there's no longer anything to gain by winning by more than 6.

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

Think that sums it up pretty well. Newman had Allen off in how the first heat before a good race between the two of them in heat 6. Newman seemed to take exception to getting beat and tried to have Allen off again after the race before Allen avoided that and dumped Newman on his ass instead. Karma you could say.

yeh Newman tried it on Jake only for Jake to shown him how to do it properly 

59 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It was a genuine comment, even if it does prove incorrect.

Jason tweeted last year that it looked like he might have ridden himself out of a job, and I said at the time that I wondered if he would keep himself below 8 this year, so I'm just interested to see if he does.

It's not a criticism. For example, why bust a gut in heat 15 if the match is already won and there's no longer anything to gain by winning by more than 6.

You couldn't criticise him for his effort in heat 15 last night. He made another stinker of a start (the only decent start he made all night was heat 1) and came from a sizeable back to be all over Andersen and the Pole come the end. With them side by side there was no way through. 

It was nice to hear Mylo's "Motherf**ker's gonna drop the pressure" being played over the PA... I've always said that Speedway should market itself as an extreme sport and it's good to see Somerset reaching out to the kids :o

First meeting of the season and it pretty much had everything I reckon. Some close tight racing (albeit a slow start, the first 4 heats being from the tapes). After the first track grade, the meeting exploded into life!

After their collision in heat one, Allen and Newman continued with their shindigs with a brilliant race  in heat6 with Allen charging hard under Newman on the third bend. The race ended with Newman snapping at Jake”s heels as they crossed the finish line. For some reason Ref Dave Robinson awarded third place to Newman, which baffled the crowd and caused much programme altering, before the score was adjusted several heats later.  What happened after the race was truly inexcusable, as Newman, clearly irked by the young Aussies hard riding, rode him out to the fence, causing Allen to take avoiding action  Not to be outdone, Allen took his revenge by intentionally swerving his back wheel towards Newman’s front tyre, dumping the former Rebel and his machine onto the track  No action ensued from the Ref, but certainly tempers were raised in the pits, with several people being restrained by officials 

As the track became more to the Rebels liking, they slowly got back into the match with some determined riding from the aforementioned Allen, Charles Wright and BWD, who was most unlucky to be excluded in heat 8  surely this trio are going to be an exciting spectacle this season at the OTA   Wright was a revelation, riding defensively in heat 9 to keep Andersen in third, allowing Holder his first win in Rebels colours at his new track, then team riding with BWD in heat 12 for a vital 5-1  Not often seen by Wrighty , certainly from this poster!

For the Lions, Pieszcek was most impressive, looking perfectly at home on a track he has probably never seen before  Hans Andersen was good value too for his paid 8 points, once again using his track guile and experience to either assist his colleagues, or to keep opponents at bay   Newman had his best meeting at the OTA for many a year, and looks like he won’t be in the reserve berth for too long  

This Leicester side has an impressive look about it even without their number one, and I expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season  

A new era for Somerset with the Wednesday night meetings, and certainly the crowd looked pretty decent to me  

Edited by EnglishRoundabout
Additional words at end of report not required
  • Like 3

Only 8 points up & meeting won but a 3-3 would have stopped Leicester getting a consolation point.