British Speedway Forum

NEW LOOK FOR STAR

1 minute ago, stevehone said:

so they paid out more than they had come in?

...the speedway was apparently subsiding their other businesses. However most, if not all, clubs have traditionally paid out more than any revenue they manage to accumulate so there's nothing new there.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...the speedway was apparently subsiding their other businesses. However most, if not all, clubs have traditionally paid out more than any revenue they manage to accumulate so there's nothing new there.

true, which is why it needs sorting out

1 minute ago, stevehone said:

true, which is why it needs sorting out

...trouble is many tracks nowadays are run by wealthy "supporters" and not promoters in the truest sense and often end up getting their fingers burnt. Love him or hate him but Reg Fearman was of the old school (well worth reading his autobiography) and was a well respected promoter although Neil Middleditch may not agree!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

If Captain Hook had two hooks instead of one and two wooden legs I reckon he could count on his fingers and toes how many promoters use profits from their Speedway to subsidise their other businesses 

• Like 2

Speedway (albeit on a much lesser scale) is no different to football. The  clubs withe richest owners, biggest sponsors and profitable businesses to subsidise them are the clubs who do all the winning and own a large rider asset base.  Gate receipts at those clubs will never cover the costs of riders  "pay packages" and all the other associated operating costs. When these owners lose interest or they wish to concentrate on running their businesses , the club folds  often with large debts. 

Belle Vue bought the Premier League  p.off title  by affording a large fee for  a guest.  Poole have always been able to offer their overseas riders an accommodation package and other benefits courtesy of their promoters hotel. 

There cannot be a single PL or CL club running today that is honestly a viable business, without being propped up by sponsorship and subsidy every season. 

Unless there is a sudden resurgence in crowd levels to that of 20 years ago - nothing will change.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, bruno said:

Since they stopped using Royal Mail in my area I've had the star every Thursday except once when it was Friday . Pretty impressive as its got to have been a good 2 to 3 years I'd have thought 

Same for me. When it came by Royal Mail it was almost 50/50 whether it was on time or late/delivered to wrong address/not at all. 

Much better since it changed and it's delivered 6-7am every Thursday, no issues at all.