British Speedway Forum

NEW LOOK FOR STAR

Many years ago I used to get the Star at one of the local tracks most weeks, then during the winter months it was obtainable from my nearest newsagent.  I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection that the Speedway Star and Soccer Star magazines were readily available 'off the shelf'.  However, due to the increased popularity of the sport in my area at the time, I placed an order with the newsagent from October 1965 to ensure I received a weekly copy during the winter.  A couple of years later I decided to take out a postal subscription, but then reverted to ordering from a newsagent from 1978 onwards after moving house.  I changed back to postal delivery some 10 years or so later.  I would guess that the number of times I have received my copy late from whatever source could be counted on the fingers of two hands.  It has never failed to arrive and I don't think it has ever been more than 2 days late.  I am very fortunate that the postal service here is fully functioning even now, with Saturday deliveries of post and parcels still taking place.  The only thing that frustrates me is that I somehow mislaid three copies from 1952, two copies from 1953 and one from 1955.  I only discovered this when I finally got round to putting the earlier years in binders.  I echo the sentiments of others when saying well done to everyone involved for continuing to produce an excellent magazine during the present situation.  I am sure that Eric (Linden) would approve.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Many years ago I used to get the Star at one of the local tracks most weeks, then during the winter months it was obtainable from my nearest newsagent.  I could be wrong, but I have a vague recollection that the Speedway Star and Soccer Star magazines were readily available 'off the shelf'.  However, due to the increased popularity of the sport in my area at the time, I placed an order with the newsagent from October 1965 to ensure I received a weekly copy during the winter.  A couple of years later I decided to take out a postal subscription, but then reverted to ordering from a newsagent from 1978 onwards after moving house.  I changed back to postal delivery some 10 years or so later.  I would guess that the number of times I have received my copy late from whatever source could be counted on the fingers of two hands.  It has never failed to arrive and I don't think it has ever been more than 2 days late.  I am very fortunate that the postal service here is fully functioning even now, with Saturday deliveries of post and parcels still taking place.  The only thing that frustrates me is that I somehow mislaid three copies from 1952, two copies from 1953 and one from 1955.  I only discovered this when I finally got round to putting the earlier years in binders.  I echo the sentiments of others when saying well done to everyone involved for continuing to produce an excellent magazine during the present situation.  I am sure that Eric (Linden) would approve.

IF we had gold watches to hand out for loyalty you would get one. Sadly, we don't but we do appreciate your continued purchasing of Speedway Star.

• Like 1

Why does speedway star, keep on insisting that the Olympic stadium is on the old hackney stadium site, its NOT,

In this weeks speedway star, the piece about Vic Harding, it says, " The old waterden road became the Olympic stadium",

The olympic stadium is NOT in waterden road, part of the old hackney stadium site is now the BT media centre/studios,

Get your facts right, have a look on goggle map, 

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Why does speedway star, keep on insisting that the Olympic stadium is on the old hackney stadium site, its NOT,

In this weeks speedway star, the piece about Vic Harding, it says, " The old waterden road became the Olympic stadium",

The olympic stadium is NOT in waterden road, part of the old hackney stadium site is now the BT media centre/studios,

Thanks

Sadly once repeated errors can quickly grow into myths. The stadium is well to the south of the old track and as BomberHammer says the BT Sport studios are on the site of the track. The studios were formerly the Olympic Media Centre.

We have a similar if lesser problem with Rayleigh. The Sainsbury's often quoted as being over the site of the track lies well to the west, by the stadium approach road and car park. The actual stadium site is covered by the industrial estate to the east. I occasionally use a shop there and I'd say it sits between the entrance and main stand, on the fourth bend.....but then it's been 47 years....

3 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Thanks

Yes. True to say that the Olympic Park is on the old Hackney site though. Could be wrong, but hasn't the road itself also been slightly rerouted to add to the confusion of exactly where the speedway stadium was?

ps. agree with a lot of the above. Star doing a great job - as ever - in particularly trying times.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Because it's lazy journalism harking back to the era when it was more difficult to check such claims.

Even a cursory understanding of the geography of the area would reveal that the Olympic Stadium can't be on the site of the Hackney or London Stadium. 

12 hours ago, BomberHammer said:

Thanks

I had a look on goggle map and all it did was show me where I could find some safety glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another excellent publication this week...

So sad to see the photo of Stoke's demolished stadium...

Another one bites the dust (literally)...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Another excellent publication this week...

So sad to see the photo of Stoke's demolished stadium...

Another one bites the dust (literally)...

Strewth! Didn't realise that Stoke was no longer? Remember when it was built (1973) and their first season when they rode under the name of Chesterton.

2 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

I'll have to take your word for it as my copy is again late thanks to RM.......

Mine is late to this week, normally Thursdays and maybe the odd Friday. Nevermind it will fill in my Monday.

8 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

I'll have to take your word for it as my copy is again late thanks to RM.......

5 hours ago, screm said:

Mine is late to this week, normally Thursdays and maybe the odd Friday. Nevermind it will fill in my Monday.

Mine hasn't arrived either - the first time for over two years that it hasn't arrived on either Thurday or Friday.

Back then I 'phoned the Pinegen office on the Monday afternoon and they kindly posted out another copy. On the Tuesday morning, of course, both the original and replacement copies arrived!!