British Speedway Forum

World Championship Pairs

Here's the scenario.

I have all the ability in the world but because I'm a fat bloke I'm never going to make it.

I'm the fittest bloke in the world but because I have no ability I'm never going to make it.

I am fairly fit and have ability but still never going to make it.

I am the fittest bloke and have as much ability as anyone else, I'm still not going to be top dog.

I am the fittest bloke, I have the same ability as anybody else and a selfish mindset but I'm still not going to be top dog.

I am now the fittest bloke, have good ability, selfish but above all else I have my more than fair share of luck to reach the top.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TO try something different. Might work in a speedway mad region of Poland but dubious elsewhere, not least for economic reasons.

Thank you, that seems reasonable if they can make it work financially in Poland. I will enjoy it on BT. I just wanted to know the reason and that is as good as any and is hopefully part of the transparency in speedway. Especially IF we see some real team riding. 

THE Jury is still out of a number of issues with the SON. Firstly, the title of the competition is a nonsense. It tells the greater public nothing, especially from a media point-of-view. It is a World Championship and should include the word world. 

The choice of venue for the opening round was extremely poor, although do not know what if any alternatives there were. Poor track, no facilities, came across poorly on TV, a largely German crew that had never covered speedway before, many comms issues on the day.

Two run-off heats are un-necessary. One would suffice (3rd v 4th) especially as it is possible, as happened in Teterow, that one nation (Slovenia) had three races on the trot.

Walking around the pits at BV on Tuesday afternoon it was nice to see so many nations represented. However, there were too many non-competitive races. The idea that each country should have an Under-21 reserve is fine in theory but not in practice. Why not simply have three-man squads, to be used at the discretion of the team manager. It would still be a pair in each race and just as likely if not more to produce team riding.

With the final still to come, many things (such as a two-day final, the scoring system particularly for the Final) have yet to come under scrutiny. What if the championship is decided by a rider getting an exclusion or an engine failure. Plusses and minuses, as in all new ventures.

What we already know is that much depends on the actual track on which these riders are expected to perform to the best of their ability. The NSS fits the bill perfectly. As Antonio Lindback remarked it is fun to race on and if the riders are enjoying whet they are doing the paying public will too.

• Like 2

For all those bemoaning the fact of a lack of team riding so far in the competition, may i suggest there is a fine line between some aspects of team riding and foul riding. The referee for the 2 day final(un named in the FIM supp regs) may well  tell the riders at the pre-meeting briefings that he(or she) will be looking out for riders deliberately baulking others and if so will result in an exclusion.

As yet i have not had to serve on Jury. And would not want to if they would still be deliberating in a 'banged to rights' case such as this.

The case against the FIM/BSI  in the matter of SON presented by learned counsel above had  been well made on all those grounds months ago by others, but the court wasn't listening..

The crime against the SWC actually never should have taken place if simple common sense had been applied by the negligent blazered folk in Geneva. 

Mind you the court reporters have been utterly appalling in their role for months as well.

As the current prevalent phraseology has it ... to avoid public disasters.

You could SEE the errors being made. 

There were plenty here SAYIng that it was a massively flawed move.

But no bugger SORTED it.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

For all those bemoaning the fact of a lack of team riding so far in the competition, may i suggest there is a fine line between some aspects of team riding and foul riding. The referee for the 2 day final(un named in the FIM supp regs) may well  tell the riders at the pre-meeting briefings that he(or she) will be looking out for riders deliberately baulking others and if so will result in an exclusion.

ZAGAR in Teterow for example, Tim?

2 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

As yet i have not had to serve on Jury. And would not want to if they would still be deliberating in a 'banged to rights' case such as this.

The case against the FIM/BSI  in the matter of SON presented by learned counsel above had  been well made on all those grounds months ago by others, but the court wasn't listening..

The crime against the SWC actually never should have taken place if simple common sense had been applied by the negligent blazered folk in Geneva. 

Mind you the court reporters have been utterly appalling in their rolls for months.

As the current prevalent phraseology has it, to avoid public disasters.

You could SEE the errors being made. 

There were plenty here SAYIng that it was a massively flawed move.

But no bugger SORTED it.

YOU made your mind up from day one. Fair enough, that is your prerogative. But what some people on here forget or do not realise is that others, and especially in countries like Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Germany, etc, have a totally different view. And it is a 'world' championship event not a solely British one and the views of others should and will be taken into account.

8 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU made your mind up from day one. Fair enough, that is your prerogative. But what some people on here forget or do not realise is that others, and especially in countries like Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Germany, etc, have a totally different view. And it is a 'world' championship event not a solely British one and the views of others should and will be taken into account.

I made my mind up as the details were presented to me. 

As each snippet of information was made available the flaws were instantly obvious.

if the ideas had been good i would not have been able to 'make my mind up' in that way.

But time And again the FIM/BSi have made it for me.

And IS this a world championship? As far as I have seen only a couple of Speedway Star reporters this week have inferred that. No one else seems to have the courage of that conviction.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

I made my mind up as the details were presented to me. 

As each snippet of information was made available the flaws were instantly obvious.

if the ideas had been good i would not have been able to 'make my mind up' in that way.I

But time again the FIM/BSi have made it for me.

And IS this a world chmpionship? As far as I have seen only a couple of Speedway Star reporters this week have inferred that. No one else seems to have the courage of that conviction.

HAVE already stated that the FIM got the name wrong and think that is recognised within the ranks of BSI.

17 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YES of course

Thanks for that.

I do love the 'of course' bit ... when (apart from this thread title)it has seemed to have been avoided by everyone in print and commentary in any terminology used.

Edit .. I do see the FIM regs state it Is.

Edited by Grand Central

In the event of a rider being injured on day 1 of the final, can they be replaced by another available (over 21) rider on day 2 or is it only the U21 reserve rider available as their replacement ? 

Rico :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

In the event of a rider being injured on day 1 of the final, can they be replaced by another available (over 21) rider on day 2 or is it only the U21 reserve rider available as their replacement ? 

Rico :rolleyes:

Regulation 3.4 states that if a medical certificate is available for injury or illness and the Jury approves them a replacement is allowed. There is no distinction made for the rounds or the two days of the final.

• Thanks 1

Tbh I think we have all got a bit obsessed with 'team riding'.

We never usually go on about this so much with league racing as we have been doing here.

I would want a British win above everything else. A 4-2 in every race, right though to the final,  with Tai winning by a mile and Lambert scrabbling a third place ... That would would do fine. 

If a bit of team work brought that about, fair enough, but it is the result that matters  not marvelling at 'synchronised speedway'.

Edited by Grand Central

23 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

why is Jason Doyle not leading the world championship ? Or to.be honest not at the top of his game ? His equipment is the best and his training is at the top so what’s changed ? It’s his mindset, he is NO1 and with it comes a change in mindset, not diet or fitness and that’s why it is so hard to to do back to back titles, notice woffinden has the well known fitness coach  Pete Adams back in his corner at GPs, speedway is a head game, personally I just think we will get the same results we would of anyway , in Wroclaw we should be able to get on rostrum as it’s woffinden track and lambert can cut it in poland, I don’t think Cook can but I just think he is too nervous and too wound up to be able to make an impact and you don’t change that with fitness , one place I do think they will make an impact is raising the profile on team GB cause the world is full of that type of people who believe all the add ons is the way everything should be 

I don't think anybody is saying that fitness is the magic bullet, but surely you can't deny that it is a factor and once you add all of the factors together that's what makes a world championship contender. Without wishing to single anybody out there was a rather good rider riding for a Manchester club a few years back who had all the natural ability in the world, made it to the GP series and was mediocre at best (at that level). I also remember seeing Nicki Pedersen in the Coventry pits a few years back, I think when he was riding for Eastbourne, he was unrecognisable from the person from the year before and I thought at that moment he's going to be World Champ this year... He won it. Of course at that time he was one of very few riders that were taking their fitness that seriously, most of them do these days and if you don't take that approach you're very unlikely to achieve a championship.

22 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Doyle is completely the wrong example to use as it was only when he did get serious that he suddenly elevated himself into the top echelon. 

Surely Doyle is completely the right example to use, he was nothing more than a second string until he got serious about things

22 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

woffinden’s gating goes from brilliant to shocking in one meeting and he is clever at cutting back on first corner 

he's not off the same gate throughout the meeting though is he? there are so many variables at play, but if you put Woffinden vs Fatty bum bum burger boy (whoever he is?) off the same gate in the same conditions, 9 times out of 10 Woffy is going to beat him... it's all about giving yourself the best chance. If somebody is riding a PJR lay down GM why would you challenge them on a out of the box upright Weslake?