British Speedway Forum

YOUR memories of AUSTRALIANS in Britain (1970-90)

TonyMac

The first Australian speedway rider I saw was Ron Johnson at New Cross in April 1946. Sadly, great rider that he was for so many years, nowadays as are so many of the sport's early times stars Johnson is now a forgotten man in the speedway sense.

And I suspect there are few speedway followers who now recall and saw in action Australian riders like Vic Duggan, Frank Dolan, Aub Lawson, Jack Young, Jack Biggs to name just a few more. 

BTW I apologise for expanding outside the thread title which stipulated remembering Australian riders between 1970-90.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Of course, West Ham had 3 of the best but sadly all before my time :cry:.

...and the trio were 'Bluey' Wilkinson, Aub Lawson and Jack Young? Have I equated correctly customhouseregular?

18 hours ago, gustix said:

...and the trio were 'Bluey' Wilkinson, Aub Lawson and Jack Young? Have I equated correctly customhouseregular?

spot on.

7 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jim Airey often a forgotten man but how good was he.?

I remember him...he was pretty good without being outstanding.

21 hours ago, gustix said:

I am surprised that so far Neil Cameron has not been mentioned. He was a pretty competent rider in the 1970s, firstly at Wimbledon then I think he had a spell with Newport?

Remember Neil well. Looked useful at Wimbledon and then allocated to Poole in 1975 and was never the same rider. Rode at Newport briefly in 1976 before signing foe White City and lasted one match and promptly retired.

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

I remember him...he was pretty good without being outstanding.

However he did post a couple of strong averages (10+) during his last years spent riding in England.

20 hours ago, steve roberts said:

However he did post a couple of strong averages (10+) during his last years spent riding in England.

Fair point Steve.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 9:13 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Jim Airey often a forgotten man but how good was he.?

I remember him as a gater and a one line rider.  dont think he did much passing but he mainly didn`t need to as gating was his forte.   He was a good number one at Sheffield.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:43 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Going back before that Salty   Gordon Guasco,Geoff Curtis, both sadly killed were very good riders  Les Sharpe, Dennis Gavros,Bob Jameson,Greg Kentwell ,Paul Oneill all   very popular at Halifax.Favourites of mine later on were Ron Henderson, Rod Hunter,Stan Bear,Steve Baker,Rob Ashton  the Aussies have really unearthed some real talent at all levels over the years who i  have really enjoyed watching.

Wasn`t there a Les Bentzen at Halifax as well in the Halifax later years.

• 2 weeks later...

Crumpie was a terrific rider for Swindon. A long line of good Aussies at The Abbey, the brilliant duo Adams, Ward, both sadly now in wheelchairs, current number 1 Doyley, and Morris, Batchelor, Johnston, young Crumple, Street and the rest...