British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue Colts 2018

Gunner85

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I would be very surprised if many riders hadn't been in touch with Belle Vue regarding a team place. Shame for Connor as he has progressed very quickly but would have benefited with one more NL season

Yes, I would imagine the BV phone has been ringing non-stop.

I agree that Connor Mountain would benefit from another NL season, but when Mildenhall chose Bailey and Ayres above Mountain. I presumed it was his own choice to not do NL.  Apparently not and he's still looking for a place.

The other one that surprises me is that Eastbourne went for Baseby ahead of Jake Knight, who also doesn't have a NL team (Unless he's been on to BV too).

1 hour ago, WalterPlinge said:

That's got to be the daftest argument I've ever read on any forum.

"The Belle Vue riders were bound to score more points because they were riding for the winning team"???  :lol:  :lol:

Isn't it more the case that Belle Vue were the winning team because their riders scored more points?  Isn't that how sport usually works?

Are you real ??

It was about comparing  two individuals, one of the observations was that one had to compete against a team with better riders than his own team whilst the other competed against the weaker of the two sets of riders which must give him an advantage when it comes to individual points tally.  Could you not understand this, or are you suggesting that  Knight, Bailey, Wood and Powell are as good as Bewley, Smith, Shuttleworth and Mellish who were all eligible for a r/r for Payne, because that is not what everyone else thinks or the individual records show.  

Now I know why I don't usually  involve myself in these arguments. Too many blinkers around.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

IF Woodhull, Dicken & Bowen was the route the Colts go down i suspect it would be Bowen at 2 (although im sure ive read somewhere that the SCB/BSPA decide in these situations?) However the more i think about it the more it seems unlikely. There are strong riders out there without teams and Payne would be a big risk.

Bowtell not signed anywhere seems a little alarming and he would fit perfectly along with Lee Dicken?

I was thinking of Bowtell & Lee Dicken too!

The success of this side depends upon the number of fixture clashes Smith & Bickley have? Payne has proven ability and im sure will fire when he has worked the rust out. Its then how the tail perform. The Pie Man appears to be rejuvenated from his largely lackluster time at Buxton and the other Woodhull has shown potential. Dicken has promised much but delivered little from what i have seen but should receive good assistance behind the scenes. However i can see a couple of home defeats coming this year that may prove costly?

Last year we started with two 3 point men and one  with 3.21.

If Ben Woodhull realises the potential he showed in some of his Colts performances as no ‘8 , I think we have a chance of reaching the play offs.

Dicken and Bowen may pleasantly surprise us.

I am optimistic

On Friday, February 09, 2018 at 3:03 PM, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I may have this wrong but I can't see this Colts team been anywhere near the top 4 . Those who disagree please remind me of this at the end of the season but I feel i may be correct 

I see it the same as you. Mid table side my prediction.

• Like 1

I think the Colts will win their home meetings and the heatleaders will see us sneak bonus points away. Add in an away win and that should put us in the play offs and over two legs I think we will stand up well against most teams. 

36 points got you into the play offs last season. We’ve lost a team so maybe a bit less will do this time. I think it’s doable but I’m not that bothered if we miss out as long as the lads progress and get something out of the experience. 

NL racing is excellent and should be better supported. You don’t get the wobblers like in years gone by and most lads seem very professional in their set up. 

Your heat leaders are ok not as good as many others .but you have the worst tail in the league Bowen and dicken won't score anywhere im afraid there the 2 poorest riders in the league this team could easily come bottom tbh as for going away and nicking a point with your strong heat leaders i can only see some huge beatings tbh 

Kean would be better off been number 8 and doing second halves this year . 

Sorry if it sounds harsh but like i say you can ram it it down my throat come the end of the season . 

Like you say Jack Smith hopefully can push on and make this he's final nl campaign possible same with Kyle ...

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

13 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

... I will add he looped off his bike doing a practice start during the parade so this may of affected his performance.

Didn't he do something similar at the Brummies P&P day last year, effectively ending his season before it even started? He was never able to catch up for lost time after he came back from injury, and was never the best of alternatives at the #7 slot for the Brummies. Unless he's been pulling up trees in off-season training, It'll be a long hard grind for him in 2018.

I have seen very little of Bowen and nothing of Dicken, so it's difficult to make an assessment. However, the Colts are in a different position to stand alone NL teams. The club doesn't stand or fall by their success. Many Colts supporters will watch them so long as they can see riders who are progressing and hope that at least some of them have the ability to eventually become Aces. Yes, crowds will fall if they are losing too many meetings at home but they are an investment for the future of the Aces and I suspect the promotion will see it that way so long as they are not losing money.