British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue Colts 2018

Gunner85

1 hour ago, Hunters said:

Much as I hate to get into an argument that is a real politicians manipulation of statistics. 

As Bickley was riding against the weaker losing team he should get more than Brennan against the much stronger winners.  To be more precise the main difference was Bickley got 14 at B Vue aided by retirements from Bewlay and Bailey  whilst Brennan got 6 having to take six rides including heat 15 against Bewlay and Smith.

Not a level playing field but as I said, this year the averages  should give a real comparison.

Extremely poor argument indeed. He was directly behind Bewley and on course for a 5-1 and a paid win anyway, before Dan fell.No difference there. Bailey was already behind him when his bike stopped.No difference there. Bickley was in his best form of the season at that meeting.He scored his first ever maximum (paid) that night and didnt rely on efs or falls to get it either!

I agree with ArnieG, all 3 are talented lads. Time will tell of course, but money is on Bickley. Looking forward to watching him with his 2018 teams.

Edited by BobC

This sounds like a Harry Hill argument when he used to do TV Burp. 

"So which is best a Brennen or a Bickley, there's only one way to find out  ------ Fight !  :D

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Under 19 final at Plymouth 6/7/2017 Bickley came 3rd after scoring 13pts in heats. Brennan came 9th scoring  7pts. Brennan had ridden at Plymouth in April scoring 10 (4)  so had previous experience on the track, in my book Bickley the better rider. 15 love.

This argument has been rolling since way back in the youth days and hopefully will continue for many more years with many national titles contested between them. Both have strong speedway families, practically personal practice tracks and sponsorship that could rival many elite riders. If both of these do not make it big in the sport there are serious questions to be asked.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
Spelling
  • Like 2

Kean Dicken & Joe Lawlor the latest Colts to be announced, certainly a very young team being assembled thus far. Thought Lawlor really kicked on last year in Heathens colours, hopefully further progression from him this season. 

IF Woodhull, Dicken & Bowen was the route the Colts go down i suspect it would be Bowen at 2 (although im sure ive read somewhere that the SCB/BSPA decide in these situations?) However the more i think about it the more it seems unlikely. There are strong riders out there without teams and Payne would be a big risk.

Bowtell not signed anywhere seems a little alarming and he would fit perfectly along with Lee Dicken?

Edited by Sings4Speedway

Everyone needs to appreciate that it is virtually impossible for any club to follow a season like Belle Vue had in 2017. The points limit means that the team will have to seriously weaken in order to comply - which will seem very unfair to the home supporters, but a reasonable expectation for everyone else.

We were lucky at Birmingham that we were able to win the league in 2015 and again in 2016 but that was only due to the fact that we managed to pick up the two best 3 pointers available in Jack Smith and Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, and keep these two lads at reserve all season. Everyone knew that there was no chance at all of winning the league again in 2018 - but then - would it really be good for the sport if the same team were to win it year after year?

• Like 5

I got a lot of pleasure watching the Colts last year. Yes, winning the league was great but I got by far the most pleasure from watching the progress made by Bewley, Smith and Bickley. That to me is what the NL is about.

I don't expect or, think, that the team will achieve as much this year but that doesn't matter if two or three of the team are gaining from the experience and making significant steps forward in their racing careers.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 6

On 25/01/2018 at 8:17 AM, Hunters said:

As Bickley was riding against the weaker losing team he should get more than Brennan against the much stronger winners. 

That's got to be the daftest argument I've ever read on any forum.

"The Belle Vue riders were bound to score more points because they were riding for the winning team"???  :lol:  :lol:

Isn't it more the case that Belle Vue were the winning team because their riders scored more points?  Isn't that how sport usually works?