British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2018

iand

3 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Cradley take riders from the Southern section. It’s nothing new. 

And if Plymouth and Cradley meet in the later stages? I understand being able to sign riders who are at Mildenhall because they are not riding in the NT, but the North/South thing doesn't work!

19 minutes ago, SCB said:

And if Plymouth and Cradley meet in the later stages? I understand being able to sign riders who are at Mildenhall because they are not riding in the NT, but the North/South thing doesn't work!

That’s what I thought too! They’re hoping it doesn’t happen like with Swindon last year. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, Richard Weston said:

Could well ban SpeedwayGB for similar offences - showing crap races on video

As far as Cockle is concerned - I haven't seen it - but it could have infringed:

Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights

I have  -  and he deserved both the ban and the sack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is something fundamentally wrong with whatever material Plymouth have on their surface.  I was in Cornwall working last Thursday and rushed back to Plymouth to watch the woeful meeting between Plymouth and IOW.  It is obviously to fine, hence the dust and also the reason riders could not ride it properly.  It is outrageous that riders have been blamed for what is a poorly prepared track.  I wont be rushing back again.

27 minutes ago, roguetrader said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with whatever material Plymouth have on their surface.  I was in Cornwall working last Thursday and rushed back to Plymouth to watch the woeful meeting between Plymouth and IOW.  It is obviously to fine, hence the dust and also the reason riders could not ride it properly.  It is outrageous that riders have been blamed for what is a poorly prepared track.  I wont be rushing back again.

Why wait a week to make this post , right on the eve of probably Plymouths most important match this year.

11 hours ago, roguetrader said:

While visiting Plymouth on business a couple of weeks ago (a Friday raceday) I called by to have a look & must say how impressed I was with the track & the preparation for that evenings meeting. We are having the hottest & driest summer since 1976 (a year I was involved with track prep myself)  credit where credit is due well done Plymouth.

Mark Phillips response on this subject on the Plymouth Forum...

Mike , more water was put down today to try to stem the dust in the hot conditions(whatever next), when water penetrates the surface we obviously get more dirt, then the away team blames the track , then like Chinese whispers, they all hear it and decide it must be true....... ok blame the track , ironically the teams answer was ‘spike it please” what a load of bollox...I was watering at the time,   the referee at that time wanted more water... when tracks are tricky the riders must attack the track and ride through the dirt, all the lads remarked that the track was good after their nerves got used to it . morley crashed on his own first on bend 3/4 he decided he did not need any power on at that time ..oops... the second time he came off was heat 15 and that was only due to pressure from Ellis...oops.. Macauley wiped out in heat 2 entering turn one hard then shutting the throttle off.. oops , I did ask Macauley if he was fed up with crashing, he replied yes, hopefully he will now listen to some advise , alter his riding style a little . He will be awesome then in my opinion... There was no atmosphere tonight , winging in the opening heats did not help, getting me to play silly buggers in the tractors did not help for continuation either .

1 hour ago, dazzafl said:

Mark Phillips response on this subject on the Plymouth Forum...

Mike , more water was put down today to try to stem the dust in the hot conditions(whatever next), when water penetrates the surface we obviously get more dirt, then the away team blames the track , then like Chinese whispers, they all hear it and decide it must be true....... ok blame the track , ironically the teams answer was ‘spike it please” what a load of bollox...I was watering at the time,   the referee at that time wanted more water... when tracks are tricky the riders must attack the track and ride through the dirt, all the lads remarked that the track was good after their nerves got used to it . morley crashed on his own first on bend 3/4 he decided he did not need any power on at that time ..oops... the second time he came off was heat 15 and that was only due to pressure from Ellis...oops.. Macauley wiped out in heat 2 entering turn one hard then shutting the throttle off.. oops , I did ask Macauley if he was fed up with crashing, he replied yes, hopefully he will now listen to some advise , alter his riding style a little . He will be awesome then in my opinion... There was no atmosphere tonight , winging in the opening heats did not help, getting me to play silly buggers in the tractors did not help for continuation either .

I was at the meeting as I was spannering for Ben Morley & I think you'll  find it was Alfie Bowtell who fell in Heat 15 as Ben was not even in the line up and as for Heat 1 Ben was riding as you say through the dirt and was leading comfortably until he picked up some grip upon hitting a hole going into bend 3 on lap 4 & by the time he gained some control he spun his back end around. He sustained a badly twisted knee resulting in him pushing ( limping ) over the finish line. Ben spoke to the clerk of the course & the referee to see if some track work could be done before racing commenced only to find that the hole would be filled, which was pointless as it appeared again the very next race. This was a quick fix so that racing could continue. There was further falls from other riders during the meeting & even Plymouth captain Henry Atkins spoke to Ben after Heat 5 when they met each other to say that he felt the track was rough after both himself & Ben had lifted coming out of bend 2 after avoiding the fallen Callum Walker. After chatting with Ben during the meeting we were only to happy to get through the meeting unscathed. I can appreciate that the sun & heat we are experiencing  at the moment negates getting moisture into the track but the track that night was not great and a rider of Ben's experience does not come off his bike that often. 

Dave Longman ( Ben Morleys mechanic )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dave1075 said:

I was at the meeting as I was spannering for Ben Morley & I think you'll  find it was Alfie Bowtell who fell in Heat 15 as Ben was not even in the line up and as for Heat 1 Ben was riding as you say through the dirt and was leading comfortably until he picked up some grip upon hitting a hole going into bend 3 on lap 4 & by the time he gained some control he spun his back end around. He sustained a badly twisted knee resulting in him pushing ( limping ) over the finish line. Ben spoke to the clerk of the course & the referee to see if some track work could be done before racing commenced only to find that the hole would be filled, which was pointless as it appeared again the very next race. This was a quick fix so that racing could continue. There was further falls from other riders during the meeting & even Plymouth captain Henry Atkins spoke to Ben after Heat 5 when they met each other to say that he felt the track was rough after both himself & Ben had lifted coming out of bend 2 after avoiding the fallen Callum Walker. After chatting with Ben during the meeting we were only to happy to get through the meeting unscathed. I can appreciate that the sun & heat we are experiencing  at the moment negates getting moisture into the track but the track that night was not great and a rider of Ben's experience does not come off his bike that often. 

Dave Longman ( Ben Morleys mechanic )

mate i only quoted Mark Phillips from the Plymouth Devils Forum.. i wasn't at the meeting..