British Speedway Forum

WHAT A FARCE ... AGAIN!

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PETER Oakes in Speedway Star this week has tried to unravel the farcical situation that the BSPA have put themselves in by preventing Scott Nicholls and Edward Kennett riding for a Championship team in 2018 because they did not do so this year and therefore failed to acquire an average. Although, of course, Nicholls appearedĀ in various end of season Championship finales as a guest.

We also now have a situation where Nick Morris and Craig Cook, both of whom have averages over eight, and Sam Masters (almost eight) could ride for the same Championship side but not together for a Premiership team.

Do the BSPA ever look beyond their noses when making up rules, seemingly on the hoof.

What do you expect.... this is Speedway ?Ā :blink:

Common sense never raises its head.

51 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PETER Oakes in Speedway Star this week has tried to unravel the farcical situation that the BSPA have put themselves in by preventing Scott Nicholls and Edward Kennett riding for a Championship team in 2018 because they did not do so this year and therefore failed to acquire an average. Although, of course, Nicholls appearedĀ in various end of season Championship finales as a guest.

We also now have a situation where Nick Morris and Craig Cook, both of whom have averages over eight, and Sam Masters (almost eight) could ride for the same Championship side but not together for a Premiership team.

Do the BSPA ever look beyond their noses when making up rules, seemingly on the hoof.

Having read this post I now expect the matter to be covered with the same degree of condemnation in thisĀ week's Speedway Star, rather than be buried on this website.

Ā 

• Like 3

Ā 

Ā 

Many years ago back at the old shay stadium a man and a woman approached us and told us they were new to speedway and wanted to know the rules. We told them not to worry about the rules as they change them every other week, just enjoy the racing. The couple looked at us and walked off disgruntled. A few weeks later they approached us again to apologise has they had found out that we were correct. From what I have experienced in speedway since I started watching the sport again in 2005 nothing has changed. In fact it is so much the norm now that I believe the whole membership of this hallowed forum would have a mass cardiac arrest if the rules applied were ever well thought out,Ā  correct in almost every instance and were adhered to from start to finish.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Add into that the situation at Lakeside where 3 of the 7 (Morris admitedly through genuine scores and the 2 reserves through a potential loophole) will start on lower averages in the Championship than the Premiership.

the numbers doubling up and down is my biggest issue with British speedway, and if Scott & Ted were allowed to do both leagues it obviously adds to the problem, BUT, these are British riders being stopped, and consistency is nowhere to be seen with these rules - disheartening

The problem is too many higher quality riders have been allowed to double down for too long. It wouldn't be a big deal not having KennetĀ and Nichols in the top league if cook Harris Morris masters, Schlien, lambert, king, Lawson, grazionek, among others were also prevented from doing so.

Ā 

thats why it's a problem.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

The problem is too many higher quality riders have been allowed to double down for too long. It wouldn't be a big deal not having KennetĀ and Nichols in the top league if cook Harris Morris masters, Schlien, lambert, king, Lawson, grazionek, among others were also prevented from doing so.

Ā 

thats why it's a problem.Ā 

Ā 

I must say that I can't see the logic here.

If Chris Harris can ride Championship Speedway - why not Scott Nichols?

• Like 2

Scott would be a great asset to any club.

I can see though the other side where a significant proportion of Championship sides cannot really afford such riders.

It could be argued that the desirable position would actually be to deny more riders at that level rides in the 2nd tier in order to keep costs to a more sustainble level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Ā 

Ā 

Many years ago back at the old shay stadium a man and a woman approached us and told us they were new to speedway and wanted to know the rules. We told them not to worry about the rules as they change them every other week, just enjoy the racing. The couple looked at us and walked off disgruntled. A few weeks later they approached us again to apologise has they had found out that we were correct. From what I have experienced in speedway since I started watching the sport again in 2005 nothing has changed. In fact it is so much the norm now that I believe the whole membership of this hallowed forum would have a mass cardiac arrest if the rules applied were ever well thought out,Ā  correct in almost every instance and were adhered to from start to finish.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Speedway is so short term. In fact, the only thing you can be sure of... the fans stand in the same place every week... until they vanish.

• Like 7

On 13/12/2017 at 7:54 PM, The White Knight said:

I must say that I can't see the logic here.

If Chris Harris can ride Championship Speedway - why not Scott Nichols?

If Scott Nicholls can't ride Championship Speedway, why should Chris Harris? The amount of doubling up of riders of increasingly higher standard has becomeĀ ludicrous. It preventsĀ any chance of team speedway being taken seriously by anyone other than the ever-dwindling number of die-hards.

• Like 3

The death knell is sounding loud and clear for the sport of Speedway. The BSPA are fighting the diminishing financial returns through the turnstiles by weakening the product season after season, which in turn drives supporters away in their droves.

In 2017 we lost the well supported Coventry Bees in 2018 Cradley look to be as good as dead and buried with just a handful of meetings, those two teams alone mean around 3000 supporters either relocate or lost to the sport.

The Speedway Star is the only consistent over the years, with theirĀ excellent production values, one can only hope that they hang on in there, and continue theirĀ excellent work in reporting what is increasingly looking like, 3 Junior Leagues, masquerading as a professional sport.

• Like 2

I don't like the concept of doubling up/down BUT it appears it is necessary at least for the next year or so. IĀ seem to remember someone suggestingĀ that if you have doubling up/down it should be limited to those riders that are 100% committed to UK speedway, no matter there nationality,Ā and that to me would be fair. If Scott/Eddie can't double up they will either retire which isĀ no use to anyone or seek to ride abroad which doesn't help UK speedway.