British Speedway Forum

Hard Riders Of The Past Any Thoughts?

Sidney the robin

Good topic- I agree with the names listed from the sixties e.g. Ron Mountford, Clive Featherby -wot about Bill Andrew and maybe the Boocock brothers and Doug Templeton??

I was thinking of Doug too. His Brother Willie Templeton was a pretty tough operator also.

Tony Childs.

Frank Auffret (Grrrrrr :mad::nono: )

1980 Reading v Swindon all hell let loose Tony Briggs was brought off by Milan Spinka but Briggo senior thought Steve Gresham was responsible.A scuffle emerged Gresh was a real tough nut a quiet man and polite but he really had an edge.WK going back to Auffrett did he have a falling out with MAD Jack.? Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

1980 Reading v Swindon all hell let loose Tony Briggs was brought off by Milan Spinka but Briggo senior thought Steve Gresham was responsible.A scuffle emerged Gresh was a real tough nut a quiet man and polite but he really had an edge.WK going back to Auffrett did he have a falling out with MAD Jack.?

Apparently Frank and Jack had many 'coming togethers'.

Frank has gone on record to say that Jack wouldn't compete in some races with him...which has been strongly refuted. Jack wasn't scared of anyone and it's a real shame that he was taken from us far too soon to be able to put his side of the story forward.

'Mad' Malcolm Ballard could also be a handful and didn't get along with the Kennett Brothers apparently.

Vaclav Verner was a hard competitor and frightened many riders...but there was no malice as far as I am aware it was just his style of riding!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Apparently Frank and Jack had many 'coming togethers'.

Frank has gone on record to say that Jack wouldn't compete in some races with him...which has been strongly refuted. Jack wasn't scared of anyone and it's a real shame that he was taken from us far too soon to be able to put his side of the story forward.

'Mad' Malcolm Ballard could also be a handful and didn't get along with the Kennett Brothers apparently.

Vaclav Verner was a hard competitor and frightened many riders...but there was no malice as far as I am aware it was just his style of riding!

I have read that too. It is a load of absolute bollux - Jack was never afraid of anyone - certainly not bloody Frank Aufrett.

Frank attended one of our Sunderland Reunions - he didn't have a good thing to say about Jack then, even though Jack died in tragic circumstances - and obviously still carries a grudge.

Very sad really.

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned Ivor Brown-certainly agree with that- also Tony Clark-were they ever in a race together. As a team I always thought Sheffield Tigers were full of tough guys-particularly in PL 1964-always a good night when the Tigers visited. Great team in my view.

• 1 year later...

The obvious world beaters Fundin Mauger and Briggs. Ryan Fisher was bloody hard, and Carl Stonehewer and Rusty Harrison up at Worky. Clive Hitch, Pete Munday, Bob Kilby, Jason Doyle, Hans Andersen, at Swindon, and Nikki Pedersen at GP level, are just a few, plenty of Poles and Russians, with special mention to Chris Bomber Harris...well ard

Edited by auntie doris