British Speedway Forum

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.przegladsportowy.pl%2Fzuzel%2Fdruzynowy-puchar-swiata%2Czuzel-przyszlosc-dps-przesadzona-smutne-slowa-witkowskiego%2Cartykul%2C831836%2C1%2C983.html&edit-text=&act=url

Oh dear, no more SWC - they replace it with a "Speedway of Nations" pairs competition !

Perhaps it is time for the major speedway nations to take action and organise their own international team events, such as Test Matches and a proper World League where the national sides meet in team vs team matches !

Why can't we have a round-robin International tournament like the Six Nations in Rugby Union's, with the national speedway teams of Poland, Australia, Sweden, England/Great Britain, Denmark, and a combined Rest of the World team !

IT is still the Speedway World Cup only with a different name and a different format and one that, personally, I am all in favour of.

More countries taking part and potential hosts, more nations competitive, more variety with riders.

In answer to your questions Bavarian... the money isn't there.

Even the PZM are admitting that winning everything has its own pitfalls.

The current SWC format hasn't been scraped forever, just sidelined for the time being.

They can stick that right up their backside.

Speedway is an individual or team sport. Pairs are crap. I look forward to the SWC every season, a pair just won't work. There will be too many heats in the meeting that just don't matter as your country are not riding. Pairs event in speedway are always gimmicks.

They can stick that right up their backside.

Speedway is an individual or team sport. Pairs are crap. I look forward to the SWC every season, a pair just won't work. There will be too many heats in the meeting that just don't matter as your country are not riding. Pairs event in speedway are always gimmicks.

I totally agree with this.

I never found the World Pairs very interesting when it was held in the past.

The SWC has consistently been a highlight of the year.

Oh well, another bit of the sport ruined.

• Like 2

IT is still the Speedway World Cup only with a different name and a different format and one that, personally, I am all in favour of.

It's not - it's a glorified pairs competition.

It wasn't a proper World Cup last time they used that format, and I suspect if I dig out a Speedway Star from circa 2000 it'll be praising the return to a 'proper' team competition.

More countries taking part and potential hosts, more nations competitive, more variety with riders.

A euphemism for a cost cutting exercise.

• Like 1

It's not - it's a glorified pairs competition.

It wasn't a proper World Cup last time they used that format, and I suspect if I dig out a Speedway Star from circa 2000 it'll be praising the return to a 'proper' team competition.

A euphemism for a cost cutting exercise.

IT'S no longer 2000. Times have changed. Pairs is a team competition. It's actually not cost-cutting because the fees to the FIM and the expense incurred will probably be more not less.

The fact is that many countries have no interest in the SWC because they cannot track a competitive team. Now they can. Why not wait and see. Lots of people have been pushing for this for a long time.

Oh FFS. That is another nail in the coffin.

IN what coffin?

The Poles, Swedes and Danes for starters are keen.

One gripe with pairs is the heat winning team can be beaten by the team coming 2nd & 3rd. If you get an exclusion the heat is worthless as a spectacle. I'm unsure what the answer is but winning a heat is not always rewarded fully. Pairs will mainly take away the sight of a rider who is out of his depth being tailed off. Most heats should be competitive with the best two from each nation in every race.

That is worth watching. I'm not worried about having a Brit in every race. In Leszno the Brit was 50 yards behind after one bend in most races. I got no fun watching that on TV..

I've little interest watching the Poles win the SWC every year for the next 10 years. That is the reality of there strength, it's a potential turn off for fans, so it's worth giving a new format a try.

No jokers in pairs, is that right ?

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

Personally I preferred the suggestion of making the SWC biannual and then reintroducing the Pairs in the intervening years.

Then perhaps after a few years if one competition appears to be working better than another we could go to just SWC or just Pairs.

• Like 2

IT'S no longer 2000. Times have changed. Pairs is a team competition. It's actually not cost-cutting because the fees to the FIM and the expense incurred will probably be more not less.

The fact is that many countries have no interest in the SWC because they cannot track a competitive team. Now they can. Why not wait and see. Lots of people have been pushing for this for a long time.

IN what coffin?

The Poles, Swedes and Danes for starters are keen.

But not the fans!!!!

I would prefer the current format, however you are right Phil, this does give scope for someone other than Poland to win it. They have been adjusting the format gradually to make this happen anyway. From 5 man teams, to 4 man teams, to host getting seeded to the final. This is another throw of the dice I guess.

I think you will still end up with the usual countries at the top in the usual order!!

Alas, despite what I've just said, I think there's a fair chance you are right there...

Edited by RPNYC

Why!!???!!! You have a great event that is one of the absolute highlights of the speedway year and you ruin it?

If u want a pairs comp why not just have a pairs comp as well, you can run it in a weekend. a pairs comp should be a pairs comp not a three man team. And Id suggest the best way to run a pairs comp is top 4 of 7 to semis, where points are added to score from meeting. Then a final where points are again added (maybe final should be double points to avoid risk of it being meaningless).

But the Swc has been such a terrific event this is awful news.

• Like 2

I hope they at the very least alternate years. SWC proper every 2 years will make it a touch more prestigious if nothing else...

Also wont be a huge shock if OneSport do some sort of Team Version.

This might play into their hands actually.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

I hope they at the very least alternate years. SWC proper every 2 years will make it a touch more prestigious if nothing else...

Also wont be a huge shock if OneSport do some sort of Team Version.

This might play into their hands actually.

Yeah because everyone will want to see TransmMF v Eko-dir v City Team v eport2000

If u want a pairs comp why not just have a pairs comp as well, you can run it in a weekend.

Because that will cost more money, and they'll still need to pay for the SWC rounds that have presumably become uneconomic.

They can presumably run the pairs over just 2 or 3 events, and it's easier to ensure the host country is represented in each round. But it's another retrograde step for the sport.

Australia won the Rugby League 6 times in a row, and have won it 10 times out of 14 stagings. They don't reduce the competition to 3-a-side though.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1