British Speedway Forum

Bspa Forum

Argos

Time to go to "Year Zero" and start again?

99.9% of the population of the country has no idea who Jason Doyle is or what he achieved today...

This time tomorrow evening, 99.9% of the population will still have no idea who Jason Doyle is and what he achieved today..

That is a huge untapped market to pursue, with a massive % living within 45 mins of a Speedway track..

Maybe we should just start again and build the sport from the ground up?

Semi pro at absolute best?

Heroes will be lost but new heroes will be made...

Time for British Speedway to stand alone and make its own bed and lie in it?

Riders earning in ONE night considerably more than they earned in a FIVE day week at their 'proper other job'..?

Riders riding four or five times a week on the nights each track feel it's best for their business?...

FIVE nights of actual racing earning much more than five WEEKS of 'normal work'?

No hotel costs, no airline costs...

The Sport seemed to work when it did that. ..

Sounds almost like the Provincial League and that certainly worked.

I agree too - with the caveat that we can't recreate the seventies (or even sixties) the world has moved on.

It is time to break the sport's current financial model (where the main beneficiaries are engine tuners and Easyjet)

• Like 9

The sad reality is that the current fans are probably the last people the powers-that-be should listen to. The current demographic is ageing and declining, and it's actually those who dont go, and even completely new potential audiences, that needed to be tapped into to find out what might encourage them to attend and at what price point.

You only have to see some of the random ideas, endless discussion about minutiae, and disagreements on here to see how far fan consultation will take you, even though there does finally seem to be more acceptance of the desperate financial situation than in the past.

Now more than ever, the sport needs someone with a vision to rejuvenate the sport, which needs to include radical cost controls, and run with that regardless of the objections of traditionalists. The likes of Tesco doesnt consult me on marketing and products lines, but if I like what theyre selling and its the right price, then I choose to shop there.

From my perspective, the sport needs to work out what it can afford, which riders it can afford and on what basis (how many full-time, how many part-time etc..), who'd be prepared to ride for the lower pay rates on offer, and on what days, and then work out suitable league, team and match formats from that.

Have riders centrally allocated from a pool, with teams allowed to retain a certain number each season, and the rest going back into the pool at the end of the season to be reallocated to weaker teams. Standard agreed rates (albeit with higher rates for star riders etc..), which can hopefully be enforced because riders are allocated from the pool, and possibly pool maintained engines as well. Even better would be centrally contracted riders, but it would be a big liability for the BSPA and I could see issues in getting the money out of promoters to pay the wage bill.

The other thing needed, are incentives for teams to run development programmes. So allow teams to retain and benefit from riders that come through their club junior system for a given number of years.

And maybe the meetings themselves need gimmicks, like 8 rider handicap finales or similar. Something that offers something different from the current tired format. The purists wont like it, but they're a dying breed anyway.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 5

I couldn't care less if riders in my clubs 1-7 rides for another club, you get similar situations in most sports. What should be important is that a clubs 1-7 turns up week in week out.

What?? Name another sport where a competitor can represent two different teams in the same week.

What?? Name another sport where a competitor can represent two different teams in the same week.

Football, it’s full of players that play for the club that owns their contract, then get loaned out to another club for experience.

At semi pro level it’s even worse.

The sad reality is that the current fans are probably the last people the powers-that-be should listen to. The current demographic is ageing and declining, and it's actually those who dont go, and even completely new potential audiences, that needed to be tapped into to find out what might encourage them to attend and at what price point.

You only have to see some of the random ideas, endless discussion about minutiae, and disagreements on here to see how far fan consultation will take you, even though there does finally seem to be more acceptance of the desperate financial situation than in the past.

Now more than ever, the sport needs someone with a vision to rejuvenate the sport, which needs to include radical cost controls, and run with that regardless of the objections of traditionalists. The likes of Tesco doesnt consult me on marketing and products lines, but if I like what theyre selling and its the right price, then I choose to shop there.

From my perspective, the sport needs to work out what it can afford, which riders it can afford and on what basis (how many full-time, how many part-time etc..), who'd be prepared to ride for the lower pay rates on offer, and on what days, and then work out suitable league, team and match formats from that.

Have riders centrally allocated from a pool, with teams allowed to retain a certain number each season, and the rest going back into the pool at the end of the season to be reallocated to weaker teams. Standard agreed rates (albeit with higher rates for star riders etc..), which can hopefully be enforced because riders are allocated from the pool, and possibly pool maintained engines as well. Even better would be centrally contracted riders, but it would be a big liability for the BSPA and I could see issues in getting the money out of promoters to pay the wage bill.

The other thing needed, are incentives for teams to run development programmes. So allow teams to retain and benefit from riders that come through their club junior system for a given number of years.

And maybe the meetings themselves need gimmicks, like 8 rider handicap finales or similar. Something that offers something different from the current tired format. The purists wont like it, but they're a dying breed anyway.

I 'Liked' your Post because it's content is excellent. I did not like the final sentence though - however right you may be. :nono::nono:;):rofl::rofl:

the tired format works ok in Poland and their fans are young because they understand and stick to the team concept and dont accept things like riders going on holiday during his contract and missing meetings. Speedway doesnt need gimmicks it needs credibility Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6