British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2018

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, marko said:

Considering how popular the guy was, I find it hard to believe more riders did not make themselves openly available to ride in this meeting, I would like to think at least some of the money would go towards the Richardson family but that's not our business.

Its not helped by the fact that Poole and Glasgow are running meetings the same night, plus the fact that there are other warm up meetings the same week. I think its fair that the 7 home riders are all in, and Cookie has done the right thing in offering a place to Max Clegg but of course there will be those who don't want to see riders of basically NL standard. Personally I would have liked to have seen Jason Edwards being given a place but then even more people would moan. So once Max Clegg is added that only leave 4 places. I don't think anyone could moan about Ed Kennet or Steve Worrall being in the line up. Well see how it works out but given reasonable weather I don't think it will be too bad for a loosener. 

Would have been happy seeing the likes of Jason Edwards in this meeting, having a variety of riders at different levels helps those boys, only one rider can win the meeting after all.

Just think having these 12 rider individuals is such a cop out, if your going to do something, do it properly, especially when your honouring the memory of a rider.

12 hours ago, marko said:

Would have been happy seeing the likes of Jason Edwards in this meeting, having a variety of riders at different levels helps those boys, only one rider can win the meeting after all.

Just think having these 12 rider individuals is such a cop out, if your going to do something, do it properly, especially when your honouring the memory of a rider.

The reality of modern speedway is that 15 heats is all crowd numbers will usually support, especially in these early season meetings . Very few 20 or 23 heat individual meetings pay their way these days except at the highest level.

12 rider individuals have never pulled in the  fans,who basicaly detest them..so why do they not learn from past mistakes  are all promoters thick??

On ‎20‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, marko said:

But its not even 15 heats as normally you have 12 qualifying races, a semi final for riders 3-6 and a final, 14 heats in all.

Format is actually 15 Heats + Final.

Riders have 5 Rides each. Top 4 to the Final.

Not a bad night really with all the Lakeside riders looking good except Alfie who did struggle. Morris was quality and Ellis really impressed me he looks a totally different rider to the one we had a few years ago. Fingers crossed we can go to Peterborough and give a good performance.

Adam Ellis absolutely flew tonight, if he keeps that sort of form up Hammers will be contenders, he along with Kyle, Richard and Nick really do provide us with a very strong top four, I also think Ben and Zach will do exceptionally well at home, it will take a very good team to turn us over at Arena this year.

It was a very well run meeting tonight, the action was kept moving swiftly, the ref Chris Gay only pulled heats back where a rider got a advantage from any slight movement, which wasn't very often and we had 16 heats all done in just under 90 mins.

16 minutes ago, liam said:

Not a bad night really with all the Lakeside riders looking good except Alfie who did struggle. Morris was quality and Ellis really impressed me he looks a totally different rider to the one we had a few years ago. Fingers crossed we can go to Peterborough and give a good performance.

I thought Alfie put in a good performance all things considered - he was well placed on the two occasions he fell and was, generally, not far off the pace. I think he will do Ok for a two point reserve.

• Like 1

An impressive display from most of the Lakeside riders tonight, with Adam looking particularly good. More than anything it was good to see some speedway after a long winter!

Any idea if anything is being done with the race jackets? I could be wrong but it looked like they had been signed by the riders.

1 minute ago, TonyE said:

I thought Alfie put in a good performance all things considered - he was well placed on the two occasions he fell and was, generally, not far off the pace. I think he will do Ok for a two point reserve.

Agreed - he gated well in a couple of races and perhaps was just over riding slightly in races that you’d reasonably expect to be difficult for him. Give him a couple of meetings and I think he’ll be picking up a few points here and there.

7 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

An impressive display from most of the Lakeside riders tonight, with Adam looking particularly good. More than anything it was good to see some speedway after a long winter!

Any idea if anything is being done with the race jackets? I could be wrong but it looked like they had been signed by the riders.

There will be an auction I was told in the pits after the meeting 

• Thanks 1

A decent crowd and a well run meeting. Our heat leaders are a match for anyone in the division, and our tail end will be very strong at home. Looking forward to a good season for the Hammers.So good to be back at live speedway after the winter.

• Like 1