British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2018

Fans won’t support individuals if they keep watering them down into little more than unofficial practice sessions.

it doesn’t have to be 16 amazing riders, just a mix of 16 riders with ideally a few from other clubs, it’s not as much fun just watching your riders race each other, we want to see our riders race other teams riders, full competitive racing.

• Like 1

Daytripper reckons there are 13 announced, but I have a feeling our No 1 is not included - is Nick Morris riding?

How much more expensive would it be to properly honour Rico with a decent 16 rider field including our 7?

I would have seen it as early season opportunity to attract new fans to Championship level speedway with a competitive field, which could have included 2 or 3 youngsters such as Jack Thomas, Jordan Jenkins, even Jake Knight, to not only give our reserves a fair test, but also have a look at them with an eye to the future. 

I'll still go I reckon, but it's not exactly an attractive opener.

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Daytripper reckons there are 13 announced, but I have a feeling our No 1 is not included - is Nick Morris riding?

How much more expensive would it be to properly honour Rico with a decent 16 rider field including our 7?

I would have seen it as early season opportunity to attract new fans to Championship level speedway with a competitive field, which could have included 2 or 3 youngsters such as Jack Thomas, Jordan Jenkins, even Jake Knight, to not only give our reserves a fair test, but also have a look at them with an eye to the future. 

I'll still go I reckon, but it's not exactly an attractive opener.

Nick is on the list to ride:

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/all-star-line-up-for-hammers-opener/

3 hours ago, marko said:

Fans won’t support individuals if they keep watering them down into little more than unofficial practice sessions.

it doesn’t have to be 16 amazing riders, just a mix of 16 riders with ideally a few from other clubs, it’s not as much fun just watching your riders race each other, we want to see our riders race other teams riders, full competitive racing.

I feel differently. Plenty of time to see our own riders racing other teams once the season starts on Good Friday. I quite like the idea of our own riders racing each other just this once. I would prefer a challenge match of scratch teams , something like Nick Morris select -v- Richard Lawsons select or something like Wimbledon used to have, Dons past -v- Dons present, but I suppose it comes down to money at the end of the day . Its alright to say the club should do this or that but early in the season there is a big potential to lose a lot of money. You only need it to be very cold like its been lately and a lot will stay at home.

At the moment I am just glad we still have a club after last years disastrous decision to go NL but we should be getting better speedway this season. I will be supporting it.

19 hours ago, TonyE said:

13 riders - I wonder what the race format will be.

You should be able to field an individual event over 16 heats without any rider meeting more than once.

No one can say wether a meetings good or bad till its over..Personally i can not wait for it to arrive after this long horrible winter

Considering how popular the guy was, I find it hard to believe more riders did not make themselves openly available to ride in this meeting, I would like to think at least some of the money would go towards the Richardson family but that's not our business.

Will it be a good meeting? no one can say until after the event, its a 12 or 13 rider individual, its a competitive meeting but no one will be doing anything silly, the track will be very slick as most are early on whilst riders regain there fitness and blow away the cobwebs, four riders doing four laps, cue polite applause.

However, the real action will commence the following week against the Witches, that's when business picks up, that's when it's count, that's where honour is at stake and you will have a proper atmosphere.

2 hours ago, marko said:

Considering how popular the guy was, I find it hard to believe more riders did not make themselves openly available to ride in this meeting, I would like to think at least some of the money would go towards the Richardson family but that's not our business.

Will it be a good meeting? no one can say until after the event, its a 12 or 13 rider individual, its a competitive meeting but no one will be doing anything silly, the track will be very slick as most are early on whilst riders regain there fitness and blow away the cobwebs, four riders doing four laps, cue polite applause.

However, the real action will commence the following week against the Witches, that's when business picks up, that's when it's count, that's where honour is at stake and you will have a proper atmosphere.

But would the riders be able to take on the business the following week, without these sort of meetings to get match ready and with proven engines when the business picks up.

Edited by Tsunami

6 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Yeah Paul Hurry very unhappy at being dropped from his mates tribute meeting. Also been posted on Facebook that much like the 5k owed to Nielson that Hurry is also still owed money.

Wonder how many others have been affected by this?

How much is Hurry owed?