British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2018

3 minutes ago, Gazc said:

He is without doubt but for whatever reason he has been very rarely on his game.

Was surprised by how well Claus was riding at start of season , tailed off a bit now. Never seemed to hold form over season.

7 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Was surprised by how well Claus was riding at start of season , tailed off a bit now. Never seemed to hold form over season.

Agree, think his racing schedule seems to catch up with him once his foreign commitments kick in.Just piling up the cash though.

20 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

That's the trouble with some riders they try hard to entertain the fans get injured through no fault of their own and then get criticised. Then when they play it safe to ease themselves back to form they get criticised. Aren't speedway fans wonderful 

Cant blame the fans for that . In the two or three seasons post the 2011 title win , winning meetings wasnt a frequent occurence , even at home . 

But enter the Facennas and the stadium was transformed into what we have now . And the promise of a team to support fitting of the stadium was what was promised .

Truth be told though , apart from the 2016 KO Cup win , the expectation levels havent been achieved . And the sad fact is , we're further away from any silverware than at any other time during the Facenna's tenure . We arent stupid , we know money cant buy success , but we seem capable of putting togethet a strong looking side on paper , but for some reason those sides dont seem to gel . 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paulco said:

Cant blame the fans for that . In the two or three seasons post the 2011 title win , winning meetings wasnt a frequent occurence , even at home . 

But enter the Facennas and the stadium was transformed into what we have now . And the promise of a team to support fitting of the stadium was what was promised .

Truth be told though , apart from the 2016 KO Cup win , the expectation levels havent been achieved . And the sad fact is , we're further away from any silverware than at any other time during the Facenna's tenure . We arent stupid , we know money cant buy success , but we seem capable of putting togethet a strong looking side on paper , but for some reason those sides dont seem to gel . 

Management Pal , knowledge is paramount,, sport needs to go Semi Professional in the UK, too many Prima Donnas on inflated wages,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Management Pal , knowledge is paramount,, sport needs to go Semi Professional in the UK, too many Prima Donnas on inflated wages,

Be interesting to see what happens next year assuming there are enough teams left to form a league. Since the Facennas took over they employed Stuart dickson as they thought he had the necessary knowledge and skills to pick and manage a team. Will they do better now he is gone. If nothing else he did them a favour walking out and saving them money 

5 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Be interesting to see what happens next year assuming there are enough teams left to form a league. Since the Facennas took over they employed Stuart dickson as they thought he had the necessary knowledge and skills to pick and manage a team. Will they do better now he is gone. If nothing else he did them a favour walking out and saving them money 

Getting the team building right is mostly luck, but you do need to have a knowledge of the market and we really do need to have one high average reserve next season.

Dependant on how it is structured next season and as you say who is left.

30 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Riders also need to be managed during the season and be clear on no piss taking. Going back a few months we had riders refusing to take ht15. Dickson wouldnt have stood for that, just as he didnt with Barker's self inflicted mechanical issues in 2016.

Stuarts downfall was the top heavy team preference he favoured for many years, despite evidence that it never worked for Glasgow. You can understand the Facenna's being unhappy with him spending their money and getting it sorely wrong on team make up.

However looki g at where we are now are we actually worse off without him?

4 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

I’m sure Glasgow will be invited into the top league to make it up to 8 teams as I can’t think who else would step up

More like the remaining Premier clubs will be invited into the Championship as it has clearly failed after changing rstablished race days just to suit 4 or 5 riders.

32 minutes ago, MD said:

More like the remaining Premier clubs will be invited into the Championship as it has clearly failed after changing rstablished race days just to suit 4 or 5 riders.

One league of up to 20 teams, less daft cup matches and Play Offs.  A 2nd tier for under 21s British only as a development league, at least 2 British riders under 21 at No ^ & No 7 in The New League

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 10:11 PM, emilali said:

If i were Glasgow I would keep Cook at no1, young Thomas at reserve alonside a very strong reserve and just bin the rest and start again (for 2019). For all Harris has had a career full of effort hes been on the decline for years and probably just sees the ££££ signs at Glasgow and has been very inconsistent. Vissing always just been mediocre and apparently can be desruptive. Obviously was really unlucky what happened to Kerr I suppose average permitting he could still do a job next year. Whats happened to Starke I thought he would have a really good season? 

If he's top of their averages, he has to be number 1.  They don't have a choice.

9 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Disappointed in you, you appear to have taken emilali at face value and responded albeit pointing out his/her lack of awareness of the rules 

I think it all depends how you read it.  I thought he was on about next season when he said 2019.

Shows that different people read the same thing differently.:drink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks123 said:

I think it all depends how you read it.  I thought he was on about next season when he said 2019.

Shows that different people read the same thing differently.:drink:

What I meant was emilali's post wasn't worth responding to in the first place as it was trolling at its worst; hence my disappointment that Steve had taken the time and trouble to respond. But I also felt, to be fair to Steve, that I should acknowledge that he was pointing out that the rules will dictate who is at no.1 next year, not the views of a Berwick troll. 

Well he’s definately not trolling? Saying keep Cook, Thomas and possibly Kerr from this years team is not trolling at all?! Vissing and Starke havn’t improved and don’t look like they will and Sarj is Sarj... Harris going downhill although on a bit of good form at this moment in time, I think his post is spot on regarding Glasgow 2019.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Well he’s definately not trolling? Saying keep Cook, Thomas and possibly Kerr from this years team is not trolling at all?! Vissing and Starke havn’t improved and don’t look like they will and Sarj is Sarj... Harris going downhill although on a bit of good form at this moment in time, I think his post is spot on regarding Glasgow 2019.

Your first sentence says it all. But to give you the courtesy of a response, he said that Vissing has always been mediocre and apparently disruptive. That is not someone the fans recognise at Glasgow. Claus has increased his average and is a pleasure to deal with, the kids love him - photos, autographs no problem - as does everyone at Glasgow. He would be number one in your team both using green sheet averages and the speedway star averages! Throw in the fact that the original poster,a Berwick fan is saying who the'd keep if they were Glasgow, frankly who cares and that why its trolling trying to upset and get a reaction based on anything but fact.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:18 PM, SharpenRake said:

Your first sentence says it all. But to give you the courtesy of a response, he said that Vissing has always been mediocre and apparently disruptive. That is not someone the fans recognise at Glasgow. Claus has increased his average and is a pleasure to deal with, the kids love him - photos, autographs no problem - as does everyone at Glasgow. He would be number one in your team both using green sheet averages and the speedway star averages! Throw in the fact that the original poster,a Berwick fan is saying who the'd keep if they were Glasgow, frankly who cares and that why its trolling trying to upset and get a reaction based on anything but fact.

Vissing never turned up to your last meeting when he could of and got sacked from Berwick for the same thing you need to open your eyes pal, the man was knocking on an 8 point average in a weaker premier league 4/5 years ago and is not going to improve on his current one, considering he doesn’t have the pressure of riding at 1 or 5 and being in heat 13 and often 15 due to having 2 world class riders in his team. I will say it again that he was not trolling and was just giving an honest outsiders opinion that I completely agree with, I’m not trolling either, just because it’s a different opinion to what you have doesn’t mean it’s trolling.

• Like 1