British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Full marks once again to the facennas. The Tigers official facebook page https://www.facebook.com/glasgowtigersspeedway/ over the past few days is full of photos and stories about the team all decked out in team jackets/polos/and t shirts. All the team have been up for a few days at boot camp/go ape training days, a fun go kart day including fans;  and finishing with a big meet the riders night last night organised by the supporters group at Ibrox. The place was packed. A lot of money has been raised - the supporters Group donated £5,000 towards additional medics/ambulance.

I suppose every club is doing this and we just don't here about it?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jenga said:

tracks nowadays can be a mile wide , but there is still only one fastest/quickest way round . 

but a least they are able to give it a go . fair play to the faccuess 

Have to agree there. How many times, other than the start, is the track needed to be wider than say 8m which is the minimum width as laid down by the SCB Regulations. There is usually only need for about 2m used when two bikes are alongside each before taking a line into the bend. Extra width on the bends is far more beneficial  but, like Glasgow is, the width will only get used with decent banking for the outside and under lines being a challenge to each other A flat track being widened on the bends does nothing for the outside racing lines.   

15 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

would have thought that at Ashfield at least, a wider track means it will become more difficult for riders to block faster riders

Narrow tracks don't stop it now do they.

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Narrow tracks don't stop it now do they.

It can to a certain extent . Few years back i saw a race at Ashfield where James Grieves out gated Lee Complin and blocked his every move for four laps . Complin was exciting to watch , but one dimensional . James knew he would use the outside line . Complin was all over James' back wheel and looked to have much more speed , but couldn't get past James as he covered the outside run every lap 

• Like 2

Think the racing at Ashfield will improve quite a bit with wider track,IMO the entrance to the 3rd bend was narrow and stopped a lot of overtaking because the following rider although faster could only follow in to  bend before trying a move to take opponent coming out of 4th bend which most times did not come off.Should be some good racing.

• Like 1

i really hope the track work pays off. Far too many races were spread out after the 1st 2 bends last season and i felt entertainment was sadly lacking in far too many meetings. Everyone just headed for the wide line round the fence and stayed there with Steve Worrall i think being an exception and had a race where he passed on the inside on bend 4? Hopefully this work is the final piece in the jigsaw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulco said:

It can to a certain extent . Few years back i saw a race at Ashfield where James Grieves out gated Lee Complin and blocked his every move for four laps . Complin was exciting to watch , but one dimensional . James knew he would use the outside line . Complin was all over James' back wheel and looked to have much more speed , but couldn't get past James as he covered the outside run every lap 

So really it didn't matter how wide the straight was. Actually at Newcastle other riders used to do exactly the same to James.