British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2018

2 hours ago, noaksey said:

Anyone looked at the Swindon planning portal lately? Anything happening been quite a while since Barretts objected 

Surely we are due another article in the adver with Tomlinson and Osbourne wearing hard hats and stood next to a digger saying big progress has been made. These mofos aint fooling anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hearing a statement is due any day. 

Bad news. The cackers have had the prefab stands away to the scrappers. Osborne, with sad look on face, says there’s no more to be said and is offering a couple of tins of b&q paint for the back straight bogs.

’I received a call this morning, informing me that the stands have vanished, said a distraught Osborne. ‘I immediately headed over to the storage in South Wales, and discovered all our stands, which were about to be shipped down the M4 to Blunsdon, had mysteriously disappeared. We are disappointed. We will now have to start from scratch and unfortunately this will lead to a lengthy delay before any work gets underway’.

• Like 1

As usual a couple of those who claim to be  "in the know" stated the stand on the back straight would be started in June.  It is all obviously bull crap as on the planning details Stadia have not even got Planning Permission to knock down the existing stand yet. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

The longer the 'new stadium' fiasco goes on the less chance I think it will ever happen.

The stadium is now surrounded by housing developments - I give it another 5 years or so and Speedway will cease at the Abbey Stadium on noise and environmental grounds.

• Like 1

I walked into the new estate prior to the Charity Shield meeting after having a pre match meal in the Jovial Monk. I followed the sound of the bikes but came to a dead end. Whilst on the estate near the stadium two new homeowners were stood at their front door trying to make out what the noise was. 

As people have said these very people will soon gang up on the robins and have them shut down and with the state of the sport currently, a few hundred fans won’t stop them. 

8 minutes ago, ouch said:

I walked into the new estate prior to the Charity Shield meeting after having a pre match meal in the Jovial Monk. I followed the sound of the bikes but came to a dead end. Whilst on the estate near the stadium two new homeowners were stood at their front door trying to make out what the noise was. 

As people have said these very people will soon gang up on the robins and have them shut down and with the state of the sport currently, a few hundred fans won’t stop them. 

If they were concerned they should have had a better solicitor who would have told them about things like the stadium in the area.

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

A lot of those people have purchased houses with understanding that the new stadium will be built several hundred metres away. I can see several legal challenges being brought if the stadium remains on its present site.

Of course that was  end Clark's plan all along .The staduim was never going to build where they said . And of course  the new plans will never get off the ground because of the noise and where the houses are  now built .You can see Osbourne  Clark with a Hannibal smith cigar saying I love it when a plan comes together.

Edited by orion
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

A lot of those people have purchased houses with understanding that the new stadium will be built several hundred metres away. I can see several legal challenges being brought if the stadium remains on its present site.

And playing right into osbournes hands

20 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

If they were concerned they should have had a better solicitor who would have told them about things like the stadium in the area.

You mean the stadium which was planned to be demolished. I wonder how many homeowners were told that by eager estate agents when they queried it?

1 hour ago, MattK said:

You mean the stadium which was planned to be demolished. I wonder how many homeowners were told that by eager estate agents when they queried it?

The same as an enquiry to the sales office of the new development by a speedway fan who was told  "the stadium will not be there much longer".  That is why you use a decent solicitor and never believe what a house developer agent says.  If the solicitor was asked and did not mention exactly what was happening or in this case the fact that there is a speedway stadium in the area which could be noisy then he can be sued.  Any sensible person buying a house would check on the internet what is in the local area before buying.

Edited by A ORLOV

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

The same as an enquiry to the sales office of the new development by a speedway fan who was told  "the stadium will not be there much longer".  That is why you use a decent solicitor and never believe what a house developer agent says.  If the solicitor was asked and did not mention exactly what was happening or in this case the fact that there is a speedway stadium in the area which could be noisy then he can be sued.  Any sensible person buying a house would check on the internet what is in the local area before buying.

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

35 minutes ago, MattK said:

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

The original post was about puzzled home buyers wondering what the noise of speedway was about, nothing to do with a new stadium, so I am not sure what you are on about.

Anyway I await to see if anything happens or another story comes from Stadia as to why nothing is progressing.

Edited by A ORLOV

Swindon’s last meeting 21 June and next one 11 July. No continuity. That’s why I stopped going every week several years ago.

After all the early rain offs (and later ones to come) it’s about time the season was run from May to September. That would keep the interest.

• Like 1