British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2018

29 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Swindon’s last meeting 21 June and next one 11 July. No continuity. That’s why I stopped going every week several years ago.

After all the early rain offs (and later ones to come) it’s about time the season was run from May to September. That would keep the interest.

Even the meeting on the 11th might be postponed.  Am more concerned with going to BV on 9th with some of the team not having had a meeting for a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Swindon’s last meeting 21 June and next one 11 July. No continuity. That’s why I stopped going every week several years ago.

After all the early rain offs (and later ones to come) it’s about time the season was run from May to September. That would keep the interest.

Isn't that enough time to put in the Lego Stadium? We might be in for a pleasant surprise. Let's ask one of the new house owners to check and see if anything has just popped up.

17 hours ago, MattK said:

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

Fine if that is the case but cannot see any changes to the planning docs since April 19 confirming extension of time, so can you put on here the agreement of pp document.

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Fine if that is the case but cannot see any changes to the planning docs since April 19 confirming extension of time, so can you put on here the agreement of pp document.

Didn't the permission to demolish happen when they got planning for the "new" stadium?. 

4 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Didn't the permission to demolish happen when they got planning for the "new" stadium?. 

Do not think so, in fact I think that they never got final planning permission for the new stadium,  as issues kept cropping up, which is why they put in a new application to demolish and use part of the existing site. 

Edited by A ORLOV

42 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Do not think so, in fact I think that they never got final planning permission for the new stadium,  as issues kept cropping up, which is why they put in a new application to demolish and use part of the existing site. 

I thought that permission was granted but the reserved matters (drainage etc) were never agreed. Might be wrong tbough 

9 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I thought that permission was granted but the reserved matters (drainage etc) were never agreed. Might be wrong tbough 

I think outline pp was given but many issues arose that could not be sorted so final was not.   

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

I think outline pp was given but many issues arose that could not be sorted so final was not.   

The planning application was for "The demolition of existing stadium and construction of a new stadium, racing building, training kennels, new stands, car parking and associated development including minor access works to western access and laying out of open space/linear park."

This was granted back in 2007. From memory and without going back through the document, I cannot recall any reserved matters or conditions related to the demolition of the stadium.

10 minutes ago, MattK said:

The planning application was for "The demolition of existing stadium and construction of a new stadium, racing building, training kennels, new stands, car parking and associated development including minor access works to western access and laying out of open space/linear park."

This was granted back in 2007. From memory and without going back through the document, I cannot recall any reserved matters or conditions related to the demolition of the stadium.

Outline planning permission was given as stated earlier.

The back straight stand at the present stadium could not be demolished, seen in a document somewhere, because of drainage issues, which is why nothing has been done, but you now claim pp has been given which I have asked where is it published because it is not on the planning docs relating to the present stadium changes. 

Edited by A ORLOV

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

The present back straight stand could not be demolished, seen in a document somewhere, because of drainage issues, which is why nothing has been done, but you now claim pp has been given which I have asked where is it published because it is not on the planning docs relating to the present stadium changes. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Permission was granted for the outline plan here:

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JIUY3APT0BP00

As I said, going from memory I cannot recall any conditions on the demolition of the stadium, which would therefore require further approval. There were plenty on the construction of the new stadium, none of which have been discharged and also plenty on the construction of the houses, which unsurprisingly have been gradually discharged over the past few years.

I'm not seen anything about the demolition of the back stright stand being prevented though, so I may have missed something in my not very extensive trawl of the documents many years ago.

Either way it is all academic. Stadia UK have got what they wanted, houses, and we all know they have no intention of ever re-developing the stadium. They will be perfectly happy when the new neighbours inevitably complain about the noise and will use that as an excuse to run down the activities at the stadium going forwards.

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Outline planning permission was given as stated earlier.

The back straight stand at the present stadium could not be demolished, seen in a document somewhere, because of drainage issues, which is why nothing has been done, but you now claim pp has been given which I have asked where is it published because it is not on the planning docs relating to the present stadium changes. 

Is there any realistic time limit on when one might expect a decision on whether there really is going to be a stadium built on or around the existing site or whether the demands of modern housing sites ultimately take precidence in overtaking situations such as this ??

I am not from the  area but if the housing development has proceeded at its amazingly fast pace as most housing developments do when money is involved in changing hands on completion, then if there are resident concerns on noise levels etc (understandable if they really are that close), then surely at some stage something has to give/happen one way or the other.

We all know that planning changes/objections/amendments can take forever to go through authorities, but with the new stadium having been agreed so long ago yet the housing has pressed on regardless, then surely there must be some idea if this stadium will become a reality or maybe just more housing??

Believe there is also greyhound racing ?? which if the case is it basically in a similar supportive state to our dwindling Speedway. I.E: For many it won't be missed and I don't mean that sarcastically as I would love to see a new stadium built to hopefully help save the sport in Swindon.

7 minutes ago, MattK said:

http://pa1.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JIUY3APT0BP00

As I said, going from memory I cannot recall any conditions on the demolition of the stadium, which would therefore require further approval. There were plenty on the construction of the new stadium, none of which have been discharged and also plenty on the construction of the houses, which unsurprisingly have been gradually discharged over the past few years.

I'm not seen anything about the demolition of the back stright stand being prevented though, so I may have missed something in my not very extensive trawl of the documents many years ago.

Either way it is all academic. Stadia UK have got what they wanted, houses, and we all know they have no intention of ever re-developing the stadium. They will be perfectly happy when the new neighbours inevitably complain about the noise and will use that as an excuse to run down the activities at the stadium going forwards.

As stated that is outline pp not detail.  There is a big difference between outline pp and detail.  Outline pp is for the project being allowed, detailed is for every detail relating to each part of the project. 

21 hours ago, MattK said:

As of today, there is planning permission approved for the stadium to be demolished. I presume solicitors deal in fact and therefore that is what homeowners would have been told.

So where is this pp approval you claimed ?

Edited by A ORLOV

There is an interesting footnote to the "new" plans to redevelop the existing stadium. The council asked GI for an extension to the consultation period which GI agreed to. This appears to be in response to Barrett's objection where they claim they will not have enough time to fully review the materials submitted before the deadline of the consultation.

You have to wonder, if GI are genuinely motivated to re-develop the stadium, why they would agree to extend the consultation so that one party can further develop their objections?

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

Would indeed be sad but no great surprise. We have also seen it with Coventry where we know they want to redevelop the site. Speedway will NEVER return there and personally I hope not as the stadium is now in effect a dump. You look at what's going on at Rye and you think, Jeez where will it all end.

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

As stated that is outline pp not detail.  There is a big difference between outline pp and detail.  Outline pp is for the project being allowed, detailed is for every detail relating to each part of the project. 

You don't need outline AND detailed permission. It is one or the other. Outline permission comes with a set of more detailed reserved matters and conditions which have to be met before a certain activity can begin. If you look at the decision document (not sure you can link directly to individual documents) you can see the conditions listed. There are no conditions which prevent the demolition of the existing stadium, other than checking for bats!

35 minutes ago, MattK said:

You don't need outline AND detailed permission. It is one or the other. Outline permission comes with a set of more detailed reserved matters and conditions which have to be met before a certain activity can begin. If you look at the decision document (not sure you can link directly to individual documents) you can see the conditions listed. There are no conditions which prevent the demolition of the existing stadium, other than checking for bats!

Normally the first application outlines the overall project and the second goes into detail re each building, road, section of the build.  It may well be that both are submitted at the same time but the majority are not as the developer wants to get the initial OK before going into detail for each individual part of the whole project.

It would be stupid spending hundreds of thousands of pounds coming up with detailed building and road designs etc only for the Council to turn round and tell them they cannot build the stadium on that bit of land, only to have to change all the designs again.

If a person is building a small extension on his property then outline permission is not needed, but for a larger development no one in their right mind would go into tens of thousands of pounds of detailed designs before overall pp had been given. 

Edited by A ORLOV

So we have yet another thursday with good weather but no meeting and the possibility that the one scheduled for the 11th will be postponed as well.  I just hope there is not another panic at the end of the season to get meetings run before the cut off date. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

So we have yet another thursday with good weather but no meeting and the possibility that the one scheduled for the 11th will be postponed as well.  I just hope there is not another panic at the end of the season to get meetings run before the cut off date. 

Spot on. It’s Summer and sunny, but no meeting today or last week. And next week might be called off because we’ve chosen a World Cup semi Wednesday rather than sticking to the Thursday (no football that day). Bonkers.