British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2018

1 hour ago, New Science said:

This is another problem we have, the dedicated speedway devotees who tell the world we have such a fantastic product, when by enlarge we don't.  It must amaze you reading Laura Morgan's feature in the Speedway Star 3 weeks ago how Workington  benefited from 300 hundred people getting free admission only for that number to halve the following week when it was a tenner and then revert to nothing when it was full price a week later. Everything is not the BSPA's fault as some would like you to believe

I'm not saying everything is the BSPA's fault. It carries a large chunk of the problem tho. The general reason why regulars stop attending is the constant rule changing and blatant attempts at trying to bend the rules because the rules are so poorly written and of course along with such things as price  double points etc.

I'd disagree however that we don't have a fantastic product. Speedway without the politics is still as raw and exciting a sport to watch as it's always been. But how we get it away from being a niche sport is a different animal. 

On 09/04/2018 at 12:36 PM, Call me wolfie said:

To be honest you know nothing about Wolves finances, which were boosted by another semi-final and grand final appearance aswell as the home leg of the KO cup final at the end of last season. You are adding 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. The decision to go with Jacob as our number 1 was mainly to do with averages as we wanted to keep the core of the team as stable as possible although admittedly a little bit to do with the uncertainty over the BT tv deal.Had we gone with Freddie and his average the rest of the team would have been compromised.

Also I did my bit last season, took a friend with me midway through last season and he didn't miss a home meeting after that, regularly taking his family with him

Fred is the ultimate troll, especially when it comes to Wolves but in his comments about Lindgren/Thorssell he is 100% spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Fred is the ultimate troll, especially when it comes to Wolves but in his comments about Lindgren/Thorssell he is 100% spot on.

Bwitcher,  dont get get me wrong, im as devastated as you that we dont have Freddie this year, i really think from the form hes shown so far hes going to have a great year. However looking at he bigger picture had we gone for him over Jacob then either Sam or Rory aswell as Jacob would have to have gone which would have ripped the guts out of our team. If Jacob can get over his injury he has more than enough talent to be in the top 4 average wise.

Edited by Call me wolfie

3 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Bwitcher,  dont get get me wrong, im as devastated as you that we dont have Freddie this year, i really think from the form hes shown so far hes going to have a great year. However looking at he bigger picture had we gone for him over Jacob then either Sam or Rory aswell as Jacob would have to have gone which would have ripped the guts out of our team. If Jacob can get over his injury he has more than enough talent to be in the top 4 average wise.

Looking at the bigger picture we have a No 1 who has never ridden as a heat leader.. It's a recipe for complete disaster.

The last time we thrust someone into the No 1 position who wasn't ready was 2008 with Lindgren. He had spent a full year at No 5, so ahead of where Thorssell is now.

We were shocking.

Are you honestly suggesting Thorssell will be in the top 4 of the league averages????

Edited to add: I would love Thorsell to prove me wrong and I truly hope he does. If so, I'll be the first to say I was wrong!

Edited by BWitcher

Yes if he can get over his injury he is more than capable, just my opinion of course. I also respect your opinion, I guess time will tell. If I am wrong I will be the first one to say so. As regards your second point, thats why i believe it was more to do with averages and team building. If it's not working out there is the possibility of bringing in Tai or Pawlicki

9 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I'd rather see what Jacob can bring to the table before writing him off. 

I fully expect him to be in the top 6 end of year averages. 

I would expect Jacob to be the top five. He should finish with a higher average than Morris & Clegg!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

Yes if he can get over his injury he is more than capable, just my opinion of course. I also respect your opinion, I guess time will tell. If I am wrong I will be the first one to say so. As regards your second point, thats why i believe it was more to do with averages and team building. If it's not working out there is the possibility of bringing in Tai or Pawlicki

And bringing them in on their 7 point plus averages just like Poole were allowed to do with Kildemand.

• Like 1

If Thorsell gets in the top 4 in the league averages I would be utterly astounded and we'd be nailed on for the playoffs again at the very least.

I would say the following will certainly be higher:

Doyle
Iversen
Cook
Kurtz
Morris

Most likely higher:

Fricke
Andersen
Masters
Lambert

Top ten he will have done well.

8 hours ago, BWitcher said:

If Thorsell gets in the top 4 in the league averages I would be utterly astounded and we'd be nailed on for the playoffs again at the very least.

I would say the following will certainly be higher:

Doyle
Iversen
Cook
Kurtz
Morris

Most likely higher:

Fricke
Andersen
Masters
Lambert

Top ten he will have done well.

I find it quite interesting you have mentioned Sam. If I had to pick one of our riders to challenge Jacob for the no 1 spot it would be Rory. Shows what strength in depth we have in our top 3, possibly the strongest in the league. I also think Kyle will improve his average to 7+. I prefer to say the glass is half full not half empty.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Call me wolfie said:

I find it quite interesting you have mentioned Sam. If I had to pick one of our riders to challenge Jacob for the no 1 spot it would be Rory. Shows what strength in depth we have in our top 3, possibly the strongest in the league. I also think Kyle will improve his average to 7+. I prefer to say the glass is half full not half empty.

Whereas I prefer a full glass rather than a half full one with a hope it might fill up. :)

I have no idea why you've picked Schlein over Masters.

Masters rode pretty much the entire year at No 5. Thorsell and Schlein were riding at 3 and 4. They all have three equal rides, then their fourth.. Schlein and Masters are facing another no 3 or 4 and a reserve... Masters is facing the opposing 1 & 5. The difference is anything from 1-2pts average wise. Despite that Masters was above Schlein.

Masters is currently our best rider. Thorssell is at No 1 because of his race position last season.

Agree about Howarth if he can continue his rate of progression. 

Edited by BWitcher

I think Wolves will be in real trouble if Schlein turns out to be your best rider. He's a good rider but will do well to maintain his current average.

I hope Howarth does have a good season. He has been a steady improver during his career and has the ability to continue to do so.

• Like 1