British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2018

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I don't really care if I can or not....you speedway fans take everything so serious....

You're not a speedway fan now?

7,898 posts on a forum of a sport you're not a fan of?

I assume these means your post was made in jest and we weren't meant to take it seriously.. all good then!

Edited by BWitcher

I don't think this Wolves team is bad compared to how the other teams will likely finalise. What is disappointing is that in terms of quality the British top flight just keeps getting weaker every year.

Always reminds me of when the Bhatti Brothers were running Wolverhampton Wanderers. The crowds are down so sell some players. So the crowds go down more so sell more players and so the story went on until the club were in Division 4. Since then there has been investment and now Molineux isn't big enough to hold the numbers that will want to watch them in the Premier League.

But Speedway is on that downward spiral and the number of GP riders that ride in the UK gets less every year as we have a second rate product compared to Poland and Sweden. I know Wolves and Swindon will say that the rules forced them to release Lindgren and Doyle but given the lack of TV money did those rules just make it easier for them to break the news to fans that they were going to go for a cheaper option. Will we ever reach the point where the sport invests to get back the lost supporters? And instead of bemoaning the loss of TV money shouldn't they instead be asking why no tv company particularly wants to cover this league.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, DJWolves said:

I don't think this Wolves team is bad compared to how the other teams will likely finalise. What is disappointing is that in terms of quality the British top flight just keeps getting weaker every year.

Always reminds me of when the Bhatti Brothers were running Wolverhampton Wanderers. The crowds are down so sell some players. So the crowds go down more so sell more players and so the story went on until the club were in Division 4. Since then there has been investment and now Molineux isn't big enough to hold the numbers that will want to watch them in the Premier League.

But Speedway is on that downward spiral and the number of GP riders that ride in the UK gets less every year as we have a second rate product compared to Poland and Sweden. I know Wolves and Swindon will say that the rules forced them to release Lindgren and Doyle but given the lack of TV money did those rules just make it easier for them to break the news to fans that they were going to go for a cheaper option. Will we ever reach the point where the sport invests to get back the lost supporters? And instead of bemoaning the loss of TV money shouldn't they instead be asking why no tv company particularly wants to cover this league.

Absolutley spot on. 

1 hour ago, DJWolves said:

It getting more obvious why it should have been 1 big league IMO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Yes, I know.

The news is, there aren't any Championship teams that are stronger. Glad we've established that.

The 2nd division is always going to be way weaker than the top flight.

Last year was the weakest top flight in history yet still the 2nd tier best got thumped by easily the weakest top flight team.

Every season we hear the same thing. Truth is the 2nd tier is still much weaker than the top tier and it's nearly a certainty that 2018 will be the weakest top flight ever!

5 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

The 2nd division is always going to be way weaker than the top flight.

Last year was the weakest top flight in history yet still the 2nd tier best got thumped by easily the weakest top flight team.

Every season we hear the same thing. Truth is the 2nd tier is still much weaker than the top tier and it's nearly a certainty that 2018 will be the weakest top flight ever!

Although Lakeside do get Nick Morris on a lower average than Swindon.

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Wow... Some of the championship teams look stronger

Although Wolves look weaker for 2018......using 2017 championsip averages;

Howarth  8.62

Masters 8.57

Schlein 8.58

Heeps 6.93

Morris 4.88

Greaves 4.51

Thorssell 10.36 (EL ave x 1.2)

Total    52.45

As others have asked, can you name any Championship side anywhere near as strong?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, double_O said:

Although Wolves look weaker for 2018......using 2017 championsip averages;

Howarth  8.62

Masters 8.57

Schlein 8.58

Heeps 6.93

Morris 4.88

Greaves 4.51

Thorssell 10.36 (EL ave x 1.2)

Total    52.45

As others have asked, can you name any Championship side anywhere near as strong?

Also the Lakeside championship side would add up to just a tad over 34 using Premiership averages. It's still a decent sized gap between the two.

25 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Oh dear. 

That team is terrible.

all good solid riders and 2 improvers in Howarth and Heeps.

no risks with that 1-7 and easily top 4 material. 

then again they could sign 2 Poles in the hope they bring with them their form from abroad which is no certainty.

your on every thread mocking all the other teams when to be be honest Pooles doesnt look that good at the moment. Maybe in your mind we shouldnt bother with the league and just let Poole take it.

If Belle Vue build the supposed 1-7 rumoured they look big favourites

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavan said:

all good solid riders and 2 improvers in Howarth and Heeps.

no risks with that 1-7 and easily top 4 material. 

then again they could sign 2 Poles in the hope they bring with them their form from abroad which is no certainty.

your on every thread mocking all the other teams when to be be honest Pooles doesnt look that good at the moment. Maybe in your mind we shouldnt bother with the league and just let Poole take it.

If Belle Vue build the supposed 1-7 rumoured they look big favourites

Thorssell wont improve his average. Neither will Schlien, Masters maybe, 

Agree about BV.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Although Lakeside do get Nick Morris on a lower average than Swindon.

That's the odd thing about the averages. Can't see why they didn't stick with using 1 average again.  Would make more sense. 

But of course this is British speedway so it's never going to be sensible. 

• Like 2

Thorssell may hold his own in terms of average even at #1, but I think he'll struggle to win heats away from Monmore ALLOT more than Lindgren would.  He will only have a chance of maintaining that because there are literally no World Class riders in British Speedway as yet in 2018.  But he can only beat what is in front of him.  

• Like 1

I don't see many riders in that 7 who will improve on their average, which should surely be the primary aim when building any team. 

Safe to say that the team won't pull up any trees but it shouldn't be awful either in a further watered down league. Should be strong enough at home to beat most teams. However, it will certainly struggle away and I can't see it picking up any consolation points at most tracks. 

The good thing is that the promotion at Wolves have made changes in the past 2 seasons so hopefully if things aren't going to plan, they will do so again. 

No Freddie is a huge loss. I assume the decision was financial because there really shouldn't have been a question to ask between him and Thorssell.

I won't be purchasing a season ticket at the same price as the last 2 seasons (when we actually had a GP rider in our team after all) but will instead pick and choose meetings. The team isn't nearly enticing enough to go and watch every week, it's basically Championship standard racing plus Masters (who rode in the Champ last year anyway) & Thorssell. Last season was bad enough at times. Many of us want to see high level racing, not Championship standard. Hopefully the Swedish coverage will be back on Premier Sports next season because that's the only competitive high level team racing that most of us will get to see next year. 

Keeping prices the same across the board as the product gets weaker is just bad business sense but we've all come to expect nothing less from the useless BSPA. Is it no surprise that TV rights with BT can't be agreed when we have so few GP Riders over here nowadays? Unless a CEO type figure is appointed full time to promote, market and run the sport, then it will continue to get worse until the two leagues are combined. 

• Like 1