British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2018

GlennyLion- Unfortunately with the fixed race nights and Martin Vaculik not getting an average yet a replacement is the only option. 

The options to keep the same team just don’t seem to be available so will likely have to be two changes.

On a personal level I hope the club don’t go with one option as he will have a lot to prove to Leicester fans and would be a gamble in my view as although a solid rider on the continent would that convert into form around Leicester and British tracks 

. Another option is a more proven performer if foreign commitments can be accommodated. I am not so sure about the last option by bringing in two more middle order riders to go for strength in depth team  as tried that and never worked that well.

which ever way have faith in the Bates family and Simon Stead to make the best possible moves 

Edited by flagrag

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

The options to keep the same team just don’t seem to be available so will likely have to be two changes.

I don't like the sound of that. :(

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, flagrag said:

GlennyLion- Unfortunately with the fixed race nights and Martin Vaculik not getting an average yet a replacement is the only option. 

On a personal level I hope the club don’t go with one option as he will have a lot to prove to Leicester fans and would be a gamble in my view as although a solid rider on the continent would that convert into form around Leicester and British tracks 

. Another option is a more proven performer if foreign commitments can be accommodated. I am not so sure about the last option by bringing in two more middle order riders to go for strength in depth team  as tried that and never worked that well.

which ever way have faith in the Bates family and Simon Stead to make the best possible moves 

I agree a replacement will be needed and I do have faith for once in what the promotion are doing. From what I see I don't see any mileage in chopping either HA, KP, DK and KN. None of those will reduce their average this year and are the backbone of a very good side.

JS will be around his average but I don't see real value in getting a lower rider in which leaves Josh Bates. Chopping a family member I can't see happening and would weaken us a reserve if we need to find big points to play with.

Interesting times

9 hours ago, flagrag said:

Well, again, you may as well be talking to yourself as nobody else has the first clue what you're going on about!
You little tease

I wonder how much priority will be given to avoiding incurring loan fees when it comes to team changes? The new No.1 will probably incur having to pay one out, so if it's a case of balancing the books KP, JB and JS would be more likely retained than DK, MPT and KN. There'd probably be a riot if HA were let go!

On a completely different tack - does anyone know what gizmo Hans Andersen was using on his bike on Monday? On the left hand side underneath the saddle I could see two orange lights on some sort of box. Never seen anything like that on any other rider's bike. Looked a bit like Blackpool Illuminations! Do the lights come in different colours - could they be the same as the helmet colours? 

Will it be

1. Mysery man 2. Andersen 3. Pieszczek 4. Palm Toft 5. Bates 6. Newman 7. Serjeant

Reasoning being the form of HA and KP so far can let DK go so as to include new no.1 and save on a loan fee??

5 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

On a completely different tack - does anyone know what gizmo Hans Andersen was using on his bike on Monday? On the left hand side underneath the saddle I could see two orange lights on some sort of box. Never seen anything like that on any other rider's bike. Looked a bit like Blackpool Illuminations! Do the lights come in different colours - could they be the same as the helmet colours? 

That looks like the old “magic” box as they were called, ignition, I forgot they existed like that, not upto date on the technical side

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Will it be

1. Mysery man 2. Andersen 3. Pieszczek 4. Palm Toft 5. Bates 6. Newman 7. Serjeant

Reasoning being the form of HA and KP so far can let DK go so as to include new no.1 and save on a loan fee??

Isnt it more likely that the Bates injury will keep him out longer and therefore he will form part of any double change

5 hours ago, Big Al said:

Will it be

I know Leicester have had problems at #1 for a few seasons but I wouldn't say they wanted a misery to replace Vaculik :wink:

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

Will it be

I agree with this.  Replacing King seems very doable, especially with KP stepping up and showing he could be 3rd heatleader.

10 minutes ago, OldRacer said:

I agree with this.  Replacing King seems very doable, especially with KP stepping up and showing he could be 3rd heatleader.

Bates would have to return

Non like for like redeclaration couldnt include a facility for an injured rider

Josh Bates is targeting a comeback in around a month was the last I had heard and as others have said has to return to the team. 

Tonight at Somerset has confirmed that Leicester need a No1 and it will possibly mean weakness at bottom end of the team to accommodate a new No1 but just isn’t too riders available upto Vaculik average 

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

Josh Bates is targeting a comeback in around a month was the last I had heard and as others have said has to return to the team. 

Tonight at Somerset has confirmed that Leicester need a No1 and it will possibly mean weakness at bottom end of the team to accommodate a new No1 but just isn’t too riders available upto Vaculik average 

Harsh as it would be, swapping JS for a 2 pointer at number 7 seems a likely outcome? Opens it up to having a 9 point ish average top man?

Apologies for piping up out of nowhere but I'm planning a visit soonish as I've got a few people to catch up with up there so wanna catch some speedway at the same time. Any recommendations for simple half decent accommodation ? I've done some googling but thought I'd ask anyway 

Cheers

Tom

If your planning a trip up to BP 

There a few options locally a budget ibis located on the A6 in Birstall about 2 miles from the track but not much on site to eat and drink just a shell service station with a few fast food outlets.Nice village of Rothley near by for nice food and pubs

A premier inn Leicester North West again a couple of miles away but has a pub on site 

Plenty in the centre of town but parking could be an issue 

Good luck

shirl

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

Harsh as it would be, swapping JS for a 2 pointer at number 7 seems a likely outcome? Opens it up to having a 9 point ish average top man?

What would Jon Armstrong be? 2? Or Connor Mountain. They both seem to like BP track