British Speedway Forum

What Would You Change In Speedway Next Season?

Bibs are to make the team look like a team.

With the amount of guests being used, you only need a club shirt over the kevlars. NO to team suits. There is the matter of numerous changes to the team over the season.

Why is it irrelevant ? Does everyone have to stick to your narrow agenda on a PUBLIC FORUM :icon_smile_clown:​

WHAT ! A PUBLIC FORUM ?

how long as it been public . i was told if you didnt have a team or a team member onthe thread . YOU WERE NOT ALLOWED TO POST AN OPINION .

so double standards by peterborough fans/posters .

John Berry (PROM), Mike Lanham, Tony Davey, Billy Sanders, Kevin Jolly, John Louis, Dave Gooderham, Ron Bagley

(Kneeling) Ted Howgego, Andy Hines, Colin Cook.

Isn't it Mick Hines??? Andy was about 10 years later

Oh and team suits all the way for me. Its meant to be a team sport, dress as a team.

Edited by baldyman

Why is it irrelevant ? Does everyone have to stick to your narrow agenda on a PUBLIC FORUM :icon_smile_clown:​

Christ almighty! Time of the month dear?

Of course its irrelevant unless youre trying to say that wearing individual leathers was a factor in Speedway booming in those days ?

By the way havent you got some ironing to be getting on with?

No, that's Andy in 1976...

Yep definitely Andy. Edited by Arch Stanton

So you can build a team to the average of the Championship winning teams' final averages so that they don't have to disband and have a chance to defend their title!

See what you mean and does sound like a good idea. But on the down side chances are the league would be strengthened year on year and maybe not sustainable?

At the same time part of me says lets go for it and find out!! :P

• Like 1

Assuming all 18 teams survive. .................

1 league of 18 teams - so 17 home fixtures against different opposition every week with the champions crowned whoever is top after 34 matches

end of season playoff for top 8 - get a sponsor so teams take it seriously

the current 8 premier league teams - form 'superteams' and play in a superleague equal to the polish and Swedish league racing on only a MONDAY or WEDNESDAY - 7 home meetings and 7 away meetings - top 4 into plays in early October (it means these teams have had 24 home matches from mid March to late Sept - 7 premier + 17 championship)

the other 10 championship sides - play in a league cup competition at the start of season ( 3 groups - 2 semis and final - completed by JUNE) and a knock out cup with quarters in july semi in aug and final in sept

four team tournament - one week in july ..... 4 one off quarter finals staged with top 2 from each going to the final in aug (top 4 sides on averages seeded and host a meeting)

team make up :

for the 18 team championship .............. 42.50 points limit ............ number 6 must be a british rider under 25 .......... number 7 rider must be british rider but nl and average below 3.50

for the 8 team premiership ........... 42.50 limit .......... 1 gp rider or foreign rider not in the championship ................at least 3 riders from your championship team ............. the others from other championship sides and the number 7 must be a british rider under 25 (ie a number 6 of the championship teams)

just some thoughts to mull over ............ we still have a top flight league for the 8, a stronger championship with more variety, plenty of other comps in FTT, league cup, play offs and koc ............. and the top riders can ride in 2 leagues with upto 48 matches with doubling not impacting availability as top flight only race on Monday or wednesday

Edited by mauger65

There has been a lot of criticism of the BSPA over the last few months. The Star has a piece by Dick Barrie that suggests when he attended previous Agm's new ideas by intelligent new promoters would be shouted down. I've also read that the old guard whoever they are still control UK speedway even though there was a threat of a breakaway a few years ago. From what I can see there are more new promoters than old guard eg Glasgow, Berwick, Redcar, Somerset, rye house, Workington, Peterborough, belle vue, Sheffield, Leicester, Ipswich,etc. They should club together kick out the old guard and tell them to form their own promoters group, something like Bored of UK Speedway (sorry meant Board)

• Like 3

There has been a lot of criticism of the BSPA over the last few months. The Star has a piece by Dick Barrie that suggests when he attended previous Agm's new ideas by intelligent new promoters would be shouted down. I've also read that the old guard whoever they are still control UK speedway even though there was a threat of a breakaway a few years ago. From what I can see there are more new promoters than old guard eg Glasgow, Berwick, Redcar, Somerset, rye house, Workington, Peterborough, belle vue, Sheffield, Leicester, Ipswich,etc. They should club together kick out the old guard and tell them to form their own promoters group, something like Bored of UK Speedway (sorry meant Board)

Despite various brave new dawns and repackaging over the years , the long suffering speedway fan has just endured the most shambolic season in the history of our sport .

I just hope somebody goes to Tenerife with ideas , the vision , the lack of self interest and the diplomatic skills to open the eyes of those who will not see .

But i'm not holding my breath .

• Like 5

Guest Scunny2012

Tweaking of the rules, team limits, league structure ,etc will make no difference whatsoever to crowd levels, it will still be the same people attending week after week, Speedway needs mainstream tv coverage (fact) look at formula 1 the most boring follow the leader sport in the world but with mass tv coverage every weekend .

i dont think you can compare F1 to speedway .

F1 is once a year in the uk and everyone that has an interest in it goes to it . where as speedway is every week and it can get a bit of a binde if the product fails to supply interest .

so for me ,speedway wins all the time . just need to get good promotions putting on entertainment during heats (not kids tug o war rubbish) pure value for money .

Affordable

get control of costs now before it all goes ** up - 1st year business studies. Costs are the one main thing you have control over - you don't have as much control over your selling price (i.e. admission fees must be competitive against other entertainments and of course staying at home).

Yes you can publicise but its not as important as cost control

I bet the promoters don't run their businesses like they run their tracks

i dont think you can compare F1 to speedway .

F1 is once a year in the uk and everyone that has an interest in it goes to it . where as speedway is every week and it can get a bit of a binde if the product fails to supply interest .

so for me ,speedway wins all the time . just need to get good promotions putting on entertainment during heats (not kids tug o war rubbish) pure value for money .

If that could ever be achieved the sport of speedway might possibly be revived in the UK but we all know this will not happen and riders are almost as much to blame for the poor racing on offer.

No, you meant Bored and Can't be Bothered. Not bothered to listen to new ideas or feedback.

Edited by waytogo28