British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2018

Somewhat surprised at the scale of the changes, but you can no longer accuse Louis of not making changes early.

As much as I like Mountain, it is obvious that Foxhall just doesn’t suit him and there is no way that he was ever going to get in to the main body of the team based on his home form. He needs a different home track and good luck to the lad.

I suspect that Louis saw in Jeppesen a rider who was so slow out of the gate that he has to over try and get ragged. I just don’t see how you can give that much of a head start to the competition.

Wallinger is a strange move, but as has already been said there were probably not too many who would want such a short gig. The Wallinger/Kemp scenario feels like getting ready for 2019.

When I suggested Kemp for the injured Hume a couple of weeks ago, people who know the regulations far better than I thought this was not possible due to when his birthday falls. Has something changed or has Louis got it wrong again?

1 minute ago, BluPanther said:

Maybe it's too early in the morning, but i'm not getting it at all ...

That was my initial impression as well but on reflection at worst we’re probably no worse off. Riss is an upgrade on the previous two and will probably compensate for the less points we’ll probably get at reserve until Kemp replaces Wallinger. 

To be honest, I didn’t get the Peterborough team either at the start of the season and had them in the bottom half, they now sit top of the league so what do I know. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Somewhat surprised at the scale of the changes, but you can no longer accuse Louis of not making changes early.

As much as I like Mountain, it is obvious that Foxhall just doesn’t suit him and there is no way that he was ever going to get in to the main body of the team based on his home form. He needs a different home track and good luck to the lad.

I suspect that Louis saw in Jeppesen a rider who was so slow out of the gate that he has to over try and get ragged. I just don’t see how you can give that much of a head start to the competition.

Wallinger is a strange move, but as has already been said there were probably not too many who would want such a short gig. The Wallinger/Kemp scenario feels like getting ready for 2019.

When I suggested Kemp for the injured Hume a couple of weeks ago, people who know the regulations far better than I thought this was not possible due to when his birthday falls. Has something changed or has Louis got it wrong again?

I thought the cut off was the 12th and where you need to gives 3 days to be effective it was too early with his birthday on the 11th

I corrected it soon after when it was confirmed the cut of off is the 12th to be effective from the 15th

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I thought the cut off was the 12th and where you need to gives 3 days to be effective it was too early with his birthday on the 11th

I corrected it soon after when it was confirmed the cut of off is the 12th to be effective from the 15th

Great, thanks.

Smokescreen of the signing of Kemp..... it's for 2 matches at the end of August. He will not have ride in the required number to get both an average for next season or be an asset. So next year he can sign for the highest bidder.....

Anyways as we still waiting for bspa approval nothing is set in stone until then. 

I personally didn't think changes could be made that allow an injured rider to stay in the 1-7.... we'll see though...

Can't think the Witches promotion will have got it wrong again...... however can't see the bspa turning these changes down whether they legal or not

The article on the official site is a bit confusing. It says Wallinger will come in for 6 meetings and then be replaced by Drew “Following the meeting at Glasgow” next month. 

I make that 8 meetings before then? Leaving Drew to ride only 3 meetings, and possible a 4th depending on whether the Worky away meeting is rescheduled before or after his 16th birthday. 

To add to the confusion, Hawkins has said on the Redcar meeting preview..

“Danyon will be out for a few weeks and it is unfortunate for him to have another crash and another injury and we will see how quick his recovery period is but David comes in at reserve to replace him and his enthusiasm has really impressed us”.

That makes it sound as if the door isn’t closed for Hume? If he returned who would he replace? He couldn’t re-replace his replacement in Wallinger and I think his average is too high to replace Garcia??

8 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Smokescreen of the signing of Kemp..... it's for 2 matches at the end of August. He will not have ride in the required number to get both an average for next season or be an asset. 

I’ve no idea how the asset system works these days. I can remember Oliver Rayson signing “a club contract” to become an Ipswich asset on his 16th birthday back in the day, before he’d even turned a wheel for us. 

Puszakowski was another who became a club asset having ridden in only 2 or 3 meetings. I remember vividly Stuart Douglas getting the hump the following season because Lakeside wanted to sign him and we wouldn’t allow them permission for whatever reason

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just daft all round, Riss has been trading off his brothers stock his whole career, Kemp risking getting an average (although manipulation should take care of that with little to race for) but Wally-inger Wal the Funk. No talent, no show National League reject. There are plenty of NL riders that would have loved the opportunity to ride at this level and put themselves in the window, there are development league riders likewise and all are more deserving of a team spot than Wallinger begger me the person who runs the tea bar must be more deserving of a place.....

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

“Bringing Mark in should benefit us in the long term”

interesting comment from Hawkins. Already in for next season? Or maybe part of a bigger plan to bring brother Erik along with him next year?

What ya think Scotsman? :P

Dream on! 

He means Mark will be averaging about 8 next season. 

Super rider, great style, lovely bloke. 

Got you into the playoffs last season! 

• Like 2

Are Garcia and Wallinger going to score much more than Mountain and another home and away? Is Garcia that much better than Hume/ Mountain Ipswich had a team that should be able to carry those two reserves but other members let them down.Mountain has been sacrificed i know he has struggled at Foxhall but away he has been decent another average foreigner in Garcia gets a chance and Wallinger well no disrespect what more  can you say.

Edited by Sidney the robin

e management were damned if they do damned if they don’t! 

There isn’t an abundance of riders available, it’s clear with the guests available for danyon and mountain at reserve we weren’t going to get the points we needed!

while I’m not bowled over with the changes made the simple fact is riss should do as well as Jeppesen and in truth should score more, Garcia will score more than mountain home and away and when kemp gets in he should get a few points too.

for me the big pressure now is on heeps to do his job and get a minimum of 7 away from home and 9/10 at home every week - if he carries on getting 3 away from Homeetc. Then it doesn’t really matter who’s staying or coming in you can forget it!

• Like 4

Unfortunately the big winner in all of this Heeps. The run of injuries and the need to make changes as a result has only served to mask his continued failure this season. In truth he is the one who should have been replaced had the rest of this mess not occurred.

This years team was built around a strong top 5 and to an extent carry the reserves whilst they were given time to improve. Heeps poor performances has put the focus and unessessary pressure on the reserves.

No doubt he will return a score against Redcar but these aren’t the fixtures where we need him to deliver. It really is his (last) chance to deliver.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheSpecialOne said:

Unfortunately the big winner in all of this Heeps. The run of injuries and the need to make changes as a result has only served to mask his continued failure this season. In truth he is the one who should have been replaced had the rest of this mess not occurred.

This years team was built around a strong top 5 and to an extent carry the reserves whilst they were given time to improve. Heeps poor performances has put the focus and unessessary pressure on the reserves.

No doubt he will return a score against Redcar but these aren’t the fixtures where we need him to deliver. It really is his (last) chance to deliver.

Spot on. Heeps was brilliant last year but on his return to these shores came back considerably overweight for a rider.  He hasn’t shifted any of that excess weight since. 

Returning home from a awful performance at Peterborough we saw him At McDonald’s. Wouldn’t see many modern day riders doing that nowadays. I had hoped Jason Doyle would have given him inspiration that if you knuckle down and work hard you can reach your full potential.

seems to me he can’t be bothered. Such a waste of talent  

• Like 1