British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue 2018

11 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Its a business first and a sport second. 

Very pragmatic of you but it is still sad that doubling up is just justified because of a lack of riders and then lads are having to retire because of that same rule. This shouldn't be happening.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I Partly agree with you but also do you blame promoters. How many British riders have gone on to the GPS Tai and Cook and its taken Cook a long time to get there. 

Poole have a history of success with Aussies riders so why change from something that isn't broken. We have never been a team to have lots of Brits and i don't think we ever will. 

Success makes you more money than having a cheaper rider in Jacobs. Its a business first and a sport second. 

Cook has got to the GPs very quickly. He was a new NL novice only about seven years ago. He’s late to the sport and older but he’s the equivalent of a 23 year old who started at 16! He’s got there faster that Brady Kurtz or Jack Holder will.

Poole have cornered the win at all costs “brand”, based on mercenary opportunism every year, but it works only because no other club does that well or adopts real branding which is a longer term strategy of creating a club culture that fans and potential customers in the local community can identify with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

You are so stupid, Steve. Jacobs was superb for Belle Vue and with some effort on their part could have become a loyal servant for years.

Sure, with the short-sighted Poole mentality of win every year at all costs, you wouldn’t be interested in investing in the future of a young British rider. Just look at how Kyle Newman has been treated.

I bet you would have been well happy if he had been named as Swindons number 7!

He was a one trick pony and dreadful away from BV.  Just not good enough in the top flight. N L rider.

45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I bet you would have been well happy if he had been named as Swindons number 7!

He was a one trick pony and dreadful away from BV.  Just not good enough in the top flight. N L rider.

He could also ride Swindon really well when I was there...so probably a two trick pony......

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

You are so stupid, Steve. Jacobs was superb for Belle Vue and with some effort on their part could have become a loyal servant for years.

Sure, with the short-sighted Poole mentality of win every year at all costs, you wouldn’t be interested in investing in the future of a young British rider. Just look at how Kyle Newman has been treated.

He had beeen at Poole for about five years, picked up good sponsorship and had barely improved whilst underperforming last year. He had been given plenty of time by Poole, imo.

the touted BV team really looks as if its been built to win all home meetings and pick up the odd point away so cannot understand why they havent gone with jacobs who, whilst being poor away, banged in huge scores at home. 

On 6/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Drodz is new so 5.0 seems right. Don’t think he’s a 6. Poole’s 2 poles both have official averages.

If Poole wanted Drodz do you think we would be able to get him on a 4? Of course not.  

Plenty of riders have an OLD 2016 but they aren't official any more. So only selected riders have OLD averages. Which of course stinks.

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Jacobs really was a one trick pony. Perks is a far better rider and should get himself sorted sooner rather than later.

Perks was useless for Wolves with a 1.45 season average. Totally dreadful.

He certainly improved overall but he had achieved virtually nowt outside the NL until 2017.

Maybe he may achieve more than Jacobs but not yet.

Shame his parent club haven't included him in their plans,  but then Poole don't have a great history of looking after their assets.

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No shame on me. Jacobs wasn't good enough to cut it in the top flight. Same as Smith last season. NL is their level. Tough on him if he hasn't found a berth in the NL but riders should be active in chasing spots. 

I don't think you understood what was being said nothing to do with his ability on a bike just another gb rider lost to British speedway shame on the promoters to let this happen !!

11 minutes ago, ray c said:

I don't think you understood what was being said nothing to do with his ability on a bike just another gb rider lost to British speedway shame on the promoters to let this happen !!

What is being said? You seem to be implying that British speedway owes a living to any British rider, regardless of ability.

30 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No shame on me. Jacobs wasn't good enough to cut it in the top flight. Same as Smith last season. NL is their level. Tough on him if he hasn't found a berth in the NL but riders should be active in chasing spots. 

Joe Jacobs not good enough!!! Your talking absolute tosh as always. Averaged over 5 in the 2016 season. If anything he did to well!!

Another Brit lost to the sport.......

Steve Shovlars idea of a rider not good enough is as follows:

9+3 v Wolves .........main reserve Howarth

8 v Swindon.......main reserve Wright

7+1 v Poole...........up against Pedersen and Newman

10 v Leicester...........main reserve Auty

8 v Poole.......Pedersen and Newman again.

Wont be up against that calibre this season yet Shovlar thinks he isnt good enough lol

Edited by Gavan
more text
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

His 2016 top flight average was 5.14. Perks is the one who can't cut it at a higher level. 

I remember people saying fast Freddie was a one track pony for years. 

Jacobs has always done ok as a number 7 in the top flight,  and more than done his job. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

what pees me off is the knocking of speedway riders  on the forum when 99%of us on this forum wouldnt have the balls to do one full speed lap on a speedway bike

Agree with one proviso which is that "knocking" is justified when  higher-paid riders take the P out of the paying public

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How do you know Smith won't be good anough??? honestly you talk some crap at times a young lad who will come again last year Jack would of learned alot.As for Jacobs he has proved he can cut it in the EL and now the league is even weaker so i don't get your point.His home performances were terrific ok he  struggled at times away but with a doubling up spot he would of improved the Aces fans seemed to like Joe and they see more of him than anyone.You have real double standards you knock those two young lads yet supported Newman to the hilt when really Kyle has had more chances than most Brits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Gavan trying to fight a losing battle again.

Jacobs has been forced into retirement because no club wants him and that's the truth I'm afraid.

How incredibly insightful of you !

thats the whole point of the argument 

why was a young british rider unable to get a team birth in british league speedway ?

runs a bit deeper than “nobody wanted him” ....

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 3