British Speedway Forum

Newcastle 2018

2 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

Well, I suppose a rider line up of (my guess)

Ludvig Lindgren 7.21
Tero Aarnio     5.02
Lewis Rose      6.49
Matthew Wethers 5.65
Stuart Robson   7.02
Carl Wilkinson  4.97
Ashley Morris   4.88

Isn't about to spread terror through the ranks of the speedway world.  Going on the principle of let's not finish last in every heat, whilst acknowledging first places may be few and far between.

Keep the faith Newcastle fans. We have a more balanced team this year too so lets see how our teams do. We had the best No.1 in the league last year  , and got us nowhere. No pressure on our teams and like Newcastle , we were very much doubtful we would have speedway to watch. You never know we might just cause some upset along the way ;)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Keep the faith Newcastle fans. We have a more balanced team this year too so lets see how our teams do. We had the best No.1 in the league last year  , and got us nowhere. No pressure on our teams and like Newcastle , we were very much doubtful we would have speedway to watch. You never know we might just cause some upset along the way ;)

But it's very unlikely.

Tsunami - im not trying to have Glasgows ambitions as I know we are limited with funds

But this team is 2 points below the team building average - which does not sound much but our top 5 are all racing a counterpart who is at least one spot higher

luddo and robbo are both 3rd heat leaders riding against top two heat leaders,  we then have wethers and rose who are 4th strings racing against a 3rd heat leader

although they are all tryers ..... realistically only rose and Ashley are likely to increase their average much ... whilst heaven knows what will happen to luddo when he faces the opposition 1 and 5 three times each in his 5 rides .....   at home he will give as good as he gets but away from home hes struggled at 4 .. heaven help him at 1

its gonna be a long season ............  I am merely being realistic ................. its hardly a team that's got the other 10 worried ..........  as I've said all their promoters have us down as a potential away win

• Like 1

There’s a very good reason why we are 2 points below. There are NO top riders  available and that is obvious to everyone. We would all like a Rolls Royce, but ocassionally you have to make do with  a Mini, till a Rolls you can afford comes along. As I have said earlier, we need to remember all that had to happen during the winter, and understand the reason why we were left at the back of the queue for the top riders. We are on catch up, and I am sure if another returnee from Poland, or a another good rider becomes available, the promotion will try to get them. Apart from a rocky period in the middle 00’s,  the promotion has had decent success with some brilliant riders, and it is not in anybodies interest to be understrength, so let’s be a bit more patient before anybody stamps off in a huff. 

• Like 3

Can you have a winning team without a No.1 standard rider? Yes. It's been done.

Can you have a winning team that starts 2 points lower than the other teams?  Maybe if you've got a team full of riders who'll increase their starting averages.

Can you have a winning team that has no No.1 and starts 2 points lower than the other teams?  No chance, unless you've got some serious increases in average.

Assuming Ludvig and Robbo are in Ht 13 and possibly some Ht 15's and neither are on an upward curve they'll do well to maintain their starting averages. Lewis Rose is on the up but Ht 15's might restrict his potential increase. The rest will swap between reserve and 2nd string so should on average maintain their averages (remember there are not that many 2.00 reserves this season).

Add the fact that Ludvig, Aarnio, Wethers and Wilkinson will only have 20 odd meetings all season whilst others have 50 plus can't be good.

No point in denying this is collectively a poor team but will it be entertaining???  Maybe but getting tonked every week gets old real fast.

Edited by enotian
  • Like 1

Well I'm content that I can return to Speedway at Newcastle to be honest. It was looking dodgy for a time. I think the Promotion have done the best they could under very difficult circumstances. Hopefully, even with Lindgren at Number One, we might surprise a few people. I, for one, hope so. I wish the Promotion and the Riders all the very best for the coming Season.

Roll on a week on Sunday.

• Like 3

theres a few old riders in there that on there day were match winners for teams in the past

they might be past there best and on there way out

but they might just get a 2nd wind and have a good season

1 thing for sure theres a lot of experience in that team and a few riders i enjoyed watching when they were on form

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taylorj said:

you see thats the thing most people on this forum all they shout about is genuine no1

how many teams have won the league with a balanced team rather than big "genuine no1"

id far rather have a balanced team where you dont know whos going to win the haet or come last  thats what sport is all about

theres nothing entertaining about watching a race where you know 1 rider is gonna clear of out front and another is gonna trail around half a lap behind

Edited by scaramanga

You beat me to it Tosh, didn't that Hull team have five seven point riders. Or four with 7+ averages & two around 6.5 average. In any case a really solid side that cleaned up that season. 

It looks like a team that wants to ride for the Diamonds and has an affinity with the club. That means a lot.

I really hope you do well this year. I don't think it's a league winning side but it seems like an honest bunch of riders who will give 100% rather then a team of mercenaries who don't give a monkeys who they ride for.

There's more to the sport than winning the league.

• Like 2

some people are in fantasy world

this is no hull of 2005 ...... ffs ..... that team didn't have a no 1 yes ..............  but they had a no 3 riding at 7 !!!!!!!!!  that's why they cruised it - that team was an exception ........    that side had 4 better riders than our number 1

I repeat most successful teams in last 10 years ... have an outstanding no 1 (top 5 in averages) and best number 6 in league 

I don't expect a championship winning side ,,, but I expect a competitive team.... this team whilst full of tryers is simply not good enough

come july if we are in playoff chase I wlll gladly eat my hat ............ but somehow I think we will firmly at the bottom ..... and I fear for Newcastle cos I think the crowds will dwindle further because the team is so uncompetitive (not lack of effort) .............. I hope I am 100% wrong 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

The last team to do this with a balanced team was Hull Vikings when they won the treble in 2005 I’m sure 4 or 5 riders had a spell at reserve due to the closeness of the averages 

2004 actually, good year that with a well-solid team.  But please no-one never, ever mention 'Hull Vikings' + '2005' in the same sentance again as that was when we closed with 2 matches remaining at Craven Park :(.

Back on topic; hope it's a good season for the Diamonds and everyone in speedway for that matter :D....

45 minutes ago, RedcarRacer said:

Half a dozen home defeats about to be served up at the Greyhound Stadium - oh dear, not good as we know the fans are not very loyal and will not watch their team getting beat on a regular basis...

Nope.... no bite here..... move along....

• Haha 1

For a team like ours to do well you have to look at riders who are going to improve and put a couple of points on their averages and I can’t really see that happening, that’s what happened with the well fabled Hull team, remember what happened last time lingren was no 1 (not his fault as he’s not a no 1 )

26 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

For a team like ours to do well you have to look at riders who are going to improve and put a couple of points on their averages and I can’t really see that happening, that’s what happened with the well fabled Hull team, remember what happened last time lingren was no 1 (not his fault as he’s not a no 1 )

No pressure on him, but I think we are looking at Lewis Rose to keep up the improvement he has shown over the last 3 seasons.  Ashley may improve on his just below 5 average, so there's hope there too.  

I personally believe that we will be fine at home, generally, but away may not be as pretty to watch.  I'll still get to away matches when I can, though, starting with Berwick next Saturday.