British Speedway Forum

Newcastle 2018

Poor signing in my eyes, don't understand why we have gone for someone who has been out of the sport for a year. You could look at it from the point of view that he will have apoint to prove!!! Everyone bangs on about that 21 point max he scored around the inside, that was years ago and he has done very little since then. 

I don't see this as a team that will inspire fans to turn up and I can only assume we will see wholesale changes when riders who have signed contracts in Poland realise they are surplus to requirements and become available.  I just hope we are still around by then and fans are still turning up.

Interesting to see who the last signing will be and how much under the limit we will be.

• Like 1

I might be way off the mark here ( probably am) as you never know who is who on here with the strange names, but are most of the posters who are writing that they are happy with the team as it means they have speedway are ones who work on the track, in the pits or have something to do behind the scenes so they don’t need to pay in as I think paying £50 a month to watch this team will not appeal for very long ( and again I hope I am wrong) if we are getting beat every week ... Hope they get a real good number 1 and prove the doubters ( including me) totally wrong though 

18 minutes ago, Midget said:

And Adam Roynon to be announced in the next few days. 

Funnily enough I was thinking just the same!

But then the earlier post referring to "Dads Army" would suggest a Number 1 called Wilson maybe - can't think of any speedway riders called Mainwaring or Pike

Firstly I'm going to say I'm not overly excited by the team up till now, having said that I think we all knew this years team would be along these lines due to financial constraints. 

We'll certainly be reasonably strong at reserve, plus this team will give 100% on and off track. Hopefully we can hold our own at home to keep fans turning up.,and to use that word again consolidate for next year and garuntee the sport. I know some fans will just moan and whinge but if you only have a certain budget then what else can ppl expect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan_Jones said:

Was he injured for the whole season? That's the only way he'll get a reduction.

No he wasn't injured Alan, he didn't get a ride so had to take the year out. I though there was a reduction when you came back, and I was later told he could get a 5% reduction. It doesn't really matter actually as I can't see us getting a rider that takes us up to the points limit.

I'm not exactly delighted with the team but I've been going since 1975 and I'm not going to stop now. I've seen us have great teams and poor teams before now and my enjoyment of speedway comes from the racing. We have plenty of racers in the team so I shall be giving them my full support. I have nothing to do with Newcastle Speedway other than attending for 43 years (with the gap years when shut). I get my moneys worth when Robbo or Lindgren blast past people on the outside of the 4th bend and hope to see plenty of it this season.

• Like 4

It’s a fine line and the promotion have had to build a team probably on the worst case scenario in terms of crowds which is the right way to go and if the team is successful it will bode well for next year, what this team won’t do from the start is attract people like me back who have drifted away from the sport for one reason or another, however my concern is this team could struggle and that could have a reduction in the die hards who attend which could be disastrous,but start winning a few and produce exciting racing and you never know.........fingers crossed 

• Like 1

This is the worst PL team since Mildenhall in 2008 in my opinion. Will there be a reduction in the admission price for the Newcastle fans that reflects what a poor team they have? I understand they clearly have to cut their cloth but when you look at that side I cant help but wonder why they are bothering and why they didnt just drop into the conference for a season and try and bring on some talent before stepping up again when able.

12 minutes ago, Midget said:

I am hearing that the Roynon signing is a short term contract? Maybe to buy some Time, but it could well be weathers that makes way if Roynon rides to past ability 

Please tell me that the Roynon thing is a windup or and early April Fool.

• Like 1