British Speedway Forum

Newcastle 2018

Can we race with a 5 man team + 2 guests - anyone know?

Or are we going with Josh Embleton + 1 guest like end of last season?

Would be nice to get some sort of steer or statement of intent from the promoters if they are still not in a position to announce new signings

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

To what day?..... 

Monday Prem Lge, Tuesday Prem Lge, Wednedsday Prem Lge, Thursday Dogs, Friday Dogs, Saturday Dogs.....

Answer on a postcard....

Or, as I posted last week, what division???

If Sunday isn't viable for Championship, it would be in the National League.

Sounds like the finances are a struggle at Championship level anyway.

Perhaps the U21 semi final will give a flavour of the future.

2 minutes ago, enotian said:

Would the fans support an NL team?

I know NL would be cheaper riders wise, but it would be the same outlay for stadium rent (I doubt they would reduce the rent just because we would be in a lower league), Ambulance cover, Ref fees etc. 

Bearing in mind we are down to the hardcore fans as it is, dropping down to NL doesn't necessarily mean it will be any easier on the finances, but, at the same time, any speedway is better than no speedway.

16 minutes ago, enotian said:

Would NL speedway attrack enough fans to pay the rent ???

Sorry, Steve has already highlighted that.

Edited by ruffdiamond

14 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Can we race with a 5 man team + 2 guests - anyone know?

Or are we going with Josh Embleton + 1 guest like end of last season?

Would be nice to get some sort of steer or statement of intent from the promoters if they are still not in a position to announce new signings

Sounds like head scratching is the current state of play.

Can't see how we'd be allowed to start the season with guests but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Perhaps if Kennett doesn't like the thought of the travel he could sign short term until say May by which point you'd expect who's actually getting rides in Poland to be clearer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Would the fans support an NL team?

I know NL would be cheaper riders wise, but it would be the same outlay for stadium rent (I doubt they would reduce the rent just because we would be in a lower league), Ambulance cover, Ref fees etc. 

Bearing in mind we are down to the hardcore fans as it is, dropping down to NL doesn't necessarily mean it will be any easier on the finances, but, at the same time, any speedway is better than no speedway.

Is it the standard or how successful the team is that determines crowd levels? 

It is the solution to the Sunday problem though. 

26 minutes ago, enotian said:

Sounds like head scratching is the current state of play.

Can't see how we'd be allowed to start the season with guests but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Perhaps if Kennett doesn't like the thought of the travel he could sign short term until say May by which point you'd expect who's actually getting rides in Poland to be clearer.

Yes. I had thought of that before. There is nothing stopping us to getting a short term signing whist looking for the emergence of a rider possibly dropped from a Polish squad, or a new rider being found whose circumstances have changed(dropped by a British club perhaps). It is even possible to have a series of short term signings to cover riders available to the UK because of gaps in their leagues such as Sweden and Denmark. I am sure George will be doing his best to get a decent pair of riders, even though he might have an eye on future developments.

If Danny Phillips has gone to Scunthorpe as has been pointed out on here, that leaves us as the only Team in our League with Riders short.

I fervently hope that something can be sorted out soon.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:21 PM, Tsunami said:

I am sure if there was a possible decent Dane wanting a ride we would have had him by now. 

Wouldn't that also be the case if a decent Swede, Brit, Aussie, Ruskie or Yank wanted a ride? By your own admission, Newcastle appear to be up the creek without a paddle!!

30 minutes ago, KevH said:

Wouldn't that also be the case if a decent Swede, Brit, Aussie, Ruskie or Yank wanted a ride? By your own admission, Newcastle appear to be up the creek without a paddle!!

in a boat with a hole, and no bucket,,,

there seems to ge a lot of Brit riders riding in Poland this season, so what has happened to the riders they will be replacing ?

KevH

Nope. With our history of Danes, if there is a good one coming along and we know about them, people are talked to. Doesn't apply to the other nationalities.

With less than 2 weeks to press & pratice, I think It's about time to press the panic button. We are obviously struggling to obtain the services of riders that we can afford and I believe that there is a minimum points limit as well as an upper one so we can't just sign anyone. Worst case scenario, there is an announcement in the next two week saying unfortunately we're not running as we can't afford it.

• Like 1