British Speedway Forum

Tragedy Kenny Carter

Bryce

Hi there, I was going to send this as a pm to TMC, but his message box is full. Therefore I'll post it as a thread topic, and others can comment if they so choose.

I just thought I'd let you know I bought a copy of the above book recently from the track shop at Rye House, and I wanted to thank you for a thoroughly engaging read. It certainly brought back a lot of memories.

I must compliment you on the even handedness of the book. It hilighted both Kenny's amazing determination and raw talent, whilst not glossing over the darker side of his personality and story.

I have to confess to a slight bias in that I was a Cradley regular in the early 80s and therefore one of those who couldn't have been counted as a Carter fan. Having said that, the insight into his background, upbringing and personality provided by this book does make me feel a little more sympathy and understanding for Kenny. That doesn't condone or excuse the things he did at the end of his life, and I acknowledge that the book didn't try to do that.

Thanks again for an excellent book, albeit a whole decade after you wrote it!

• Like 3

Hi there, I was going to send this as a pm to TMC, but his message box is full. Therefore I'll post it as a thread topic, and others can comment if they so choose.

I just thought I'd let you know I bought a copy of the above book recently from the track shop at Rye House, and I wanted to thank you for a thoroughly engaging read. It certainly brought back a lot of memories.

I must compliment you on the even handedness of the book. It hilighted both Kenny's amazing determination and raw talent, whilst not glossing over the darker side of his personality and story.

I have to confess to a slight bias in that I was a Cradley regular in the early 80s and therefore one of those who couldn't have been counted as a Carter fan. Having said that, the insight into his background, upbringing and personality provided by this book does make me feel a little more sympathy and understanding for Kenny. That doesn't condone or excuse the things he did at the end of his life, and I acknowledge that the book didn't try to do that.

Thanks again for an excellent book, albeit a whole decade after you wrote it!

I have a copy of the book and makes for a fascinating read although I was never a fan of his.

Visited his grave recently as I was passing by.

I remember him on the Mike at Cradley once saying he didn't understand why Cradley fans boo him. Trouble is he pronounced us as CrAdley. You can imagine how that went down. I'm presuming our fans boo d him for some incident with Penhall. The booing started before the 82 incident

I remember him on the Mike at Cradley once saying he didn't understand why Cradley fans boo him. Trouble is he pronounced us as CrAdley. You can imagine how that went down. I'm presuming our fans boo d him for some incident with Penhall. The booing started before the 82 incident

Everyone outside the Midlands pronounced it that way in those days, even Eric Boothroyd did and he had ridden for them.

Everyone outside the Midlands pronounced it that way in those days, even Eric Boothroyd did and he had ridden for them.

They(we) still do.

It's really no different that calling a mic' a Mike...

• Like 1

I remember that. He told the crowd they didn't deserve to see him ride! I think he'd just beaten Bruce in the Golden Helmet match race which is what had upset them.

There is no doubt that he was fiercely patriotic and riding for England really mattered to him. I would think the English fans of English teams who'd turn up at big events with the flags of other nations (Coventry with Danish flags, Cradley with USA flags etc) were an annoyance to Kenny.

Edited by Bryce
  • Like 2

There is no doubt that he was fiercely patriotic and riding for England really mattered to him. I would think the English fans of English teams who'd turn up at big events with the flags of other nations (Coventry with Danish flags, Cradley with USA flags etc) were an annoyance to Kenny.

Never understood that.

Im British i support Britain. Im also an Ipswich fan. I cheered Carter over the likes of Sanders, Cook and Sigalos.

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind comments about both books we published on the Carter brothers. Blimey, how come the Rye House shop still had a copy for sale? Crazy to think that Amazon are still selling copies for £50-plus.

I found the one on Kenny particularly challenging to write, because we all knew the tragic ending.

After two re-prints, there is no mileage in printing a third paperback edition but an updated and extended eBook of Tragedy can be bought from Amazon, for downloading to the Kindle e-reader, for just £4.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tragedy-Kenny-Carter-Love-Forget-ebook/dp/B0128VURS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505834052&sr=8-2&keywords=Kenny+Carter+Tragedy

Thanks for your kind comments about both books we published on the Carter brothers. Blimey, how come the Rye House shop still had a copy for sale? Crazy to think that Amazon are still selling copies for £50-plus.

I found the one on Kenny particularly challenging to write, because we all knew the tragic ending.

After two re-prints, there is no mileage in printing a third paperback edition but an updated and extended eBook of Tragedy can be bought from Amazon, for downloading to the Kindle e-reader, for just £4.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tragedy-Kenny-Carter-Love-Forget-ebook/dp/B0128VURS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505834052&sr=8-2&keywords=Kenny+Carter+Tragedy

Thanks for that link, I've just purchased it..

This book is probably the best speedway tome I've read - so good, i've bought it twice :t:

• Like 1