British Speedway Forum

Workington V Edinburgh 16/09/17 7:00pm Champ

I would like to start by stating i do not like writing posts like this and some will say why write them, but it was obvious by Sargent's display tonight he made no effort to race in his early races and approached the meeting with the attitude to do what most who attended tonight believe was a deliberate act to manipulate his average or go all out in what seems to be his vendetta against Workington. For a home rider to turn a home crowd against them like he has, is the first i have ever witnessed at Derwent Park. It absurd that any governing body of any sport can allow this to happen and potentially contribute to the demise of any club, due to the club not being able to make the necessary changes to try and remedy the situation, it has been forced into by the rules of our sport.

I admit some people may believe these are strong words and not the backing any rider deserves, but if there was a facility to make a change i am sure those who have witnessed his displays most weeks, would agree he should be replaced. If the Workington promotion had the facility to do so and they didn't react, those people who disagree with my post would probably be the first to criticise the club for not doing so. The promotion clearly tried to make the necessary changes early season to strengthen the team, but unfortunately this did not pan out as they deserved, due to rumors i believe which did not come to fruition. This is clearly not the motivation any rider deserves and like i said i do not enjoy writing it, but when you consider James's display tonight and previous comments he has publicly made, combined with the recent crowd attendances, how can Laura financially commit to the future of Workington Speedway with this dwindling lack of support.

• Like 1

i guess its no surprise that the unoffical comets forum is off line tonight

as for the comets management

well they deserve all the flack they get

my mate asked me tonight if id be unhappy if speedway r4an next year at workington and i found it hard to give him a answer

the junior match afterwards had more entertainment than the 15 long heats tonight

paul bowan would have been shown up in the 125 races as he couldnt turn his bike during the main meeting

the kids showed what a entertaining close race the track could produce

in the interest of speedway james sargent should be banned from the sport which also inclueds the start off next season

he is a disgrace to the whole sport

ive never ever seen a rider remove his helmet during a race before

ive seen riders get a fine for doing practice starts on parade without a helmet so james should at least get a fine

I disagree to an extent.

Both of the Riss brothers pulled off brilliant passing moves - Mark in particular when he got some terrific speed to shoot past Proctor round the final two corners.

Funny thing was I thought that it was a battling performance from Campton, Proctor, Williamson & Ostergaard. If Workington had had a decent reserve this would have been much, much closer.

Replacing Cook was almost impossible and would have been even if the Comets have tried weeks ago. Over half the league was riding anyway and most of the other top Championship riders were in the Premiership riders meeting. Comets had little choice but to use RR.

As to Sarjeant, I'd have sacked him weeks ago and brought in virtually anyone else because they couldn't be that much worse. His ridiculous tendency to get excluded for starting offences is actually getting worse (if that's possible) and once off 15 metres he wasn't interested. Word I got was that he had to be persuaded to stay on after the second exclusion - although he has no-one to blame but himself - and was fined heavily by the referee for delaying the start.

I felt desperately sorry for Laura Morgan because no-one can say she hasn't tried hard at Workington. A crowd of 350 or so with no real hope of improvement means just one outcome, because she simply can't continue losing that much per meeting. ​I really hope I am wrong because a trip up to Cumbria with decent company, a couple of pints and some tea in the town and usually a pretty decent meeting is something I'll miss.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

I would like to start by stating i do not like writing posts like this and some will say why write them, but it was obvious by Sargent's display tonight he made no effort to race in his early races and approached the meeting with the attitude to do what most who attended tonight believe was a deliberate act to manipulate his average or go all out in what seems to be his vendetta against Workington. For a home rider to turn a home crowd against them like he has, is the first i have ever witnessed at Derwent Park. It absurd that any governing body of any sport can allow this to happen and potentially contribute to the demise of any club, due to the club not being able to make the necessary changes to try and remedy the situation, it has been forced into by the rules of our sport.

I admit some people may believe these are strong words and not the backing any rider deserves, but if there was a facility to make a change i am sure those who have witnessed his displays most weeks, would agree he should be replaced. If the Workington promotion had the facility to do so and they didn't react, those people who disagree with my post would probably be the first to criticise the club for not doing so. The promotion clearly tried to make the necessary changes early season to strengthen the team, but unfortunately this did not pan out as they deserved, due to rumors i believe which did not come to fruition. This is clearly not the motivation any rider deserves and like i said i do not enjoy writing it, but when you consider James's display tonight and previous comments he has publicly made, combined with the recent crowd attendances, how can Laura financially commit to the future of Workington Speedway with this dwindling lack of support.

as a neutral and after reading a lot or your posts i have to say that my heart goes out to the promotion, supporters and to some extent, most riders in your team with obviously one exception.i remember saying to the wife several years ago at scunthorpe where we first saw serjeant ride about how fast and smooth he looked on a bike and earmarked him as one for the future but warning signs were there with his petulance in a national league encounter between himself and nathan grieves and things seem to have gone downhill from there culminating in the disgraceful attitude to the sport last night.yes,he should now not ever ride again for the club and i certainly know who i would rather have between him and adam roynon,who ,i believe, had a bit of a raw deal when he was moved on at owlerton to accommodate ty proctor.adam would have been a very very good rider if it hadn't have been for his injuries and to this day i still enjoy watching him ride.it has also been a baptism of fire for young matt riding at four.did expect a few more points from ty as well but i could go on.i really feel for your promotion and supporters and know what it is to have really bum seasons at sheffield as well so all i can offer is chins up and for the remainder of fans to get behind your team for the remainder of the season because you certainly don't even want to contemplate the alternative.workington are very important to all supporters up and down the country and it would be a very sad loss to see them fold.

• Like 3

I disagree to an extent.

Both of the Riss brothers pulled off brilliant passing moves - Mark in particular when he got some terrific speed to shoot past Proctor round the final two corners.

Funny thing was I thought that it was a battling performance from Campton, Proctor, Williamson & Ostergaard. If Workington had had a decent reserve this would have been much, much closer.

Replacing Cook was almost impossible and would have been even if the Comets have tried weeks ago. Over half the league was riding anyway and most of the other top Championship riders were in the Premiership riders meeting. Comets had little choice but to use RR.

As to Sarjeant, I'd have sacked him weeks ago and brought in virtually anyone else because they couldn't be that much worse. His ridiculous tendency to get excluded for starting offences is actually getting worse (if that's possible) and once off 15 metres he wasn't interested. Word I got was that he had to be persuaded to stay on after the second exclusion - although he has no-one to blame but himself - and was fined heavily by the referee for delaying the start.

I felt desperately sorry for Laura Morgan because no-one can say she hasn't tried hard at Workington. A crowd of 350 or so with no real hope of improvement means just one outcome, because she simply can't continue losing that much per meeting. ​I really hope I am wrong because a trip up to Cumbria with decent company, a couple of pints and some tea in the town and usually a pretty decent meeting is something I'll miss.

i agree mason really stood up last night and gave his all

which is another point in switching him and matt around in the riding order

but hey us fans only watch from the outside were not the ones looking for a reason to pull the plug

• Like 1

anyone going to take a bet that sarj goes A.W.O.L. for the last meeting at home and drops us in the shot ..

ah well , no change in there then , always dropping us in the shot .

cant see the unofficial site being energized again .

it keeps neg comments out about certain management crew ,R.I.P. workington speedway .

enjoyed it while it lasted , as did many fans .

pitty about golden balls tho .

Edited by jenga

anyone going to take a bet that sarj goes A.W.O.L. for the last meeting at home and drops us in the shot ..ah well , no change in there then , always dropping us in the shot .cant see the unofficial site being energized again .it keeps neg comments out about certain management crew ,R.I.P. workington speedway .enjoyed it while it lasted , as did many fans .pitty about golden balls tho .

So sack him and use a guest, it sounds like anyone wouldn't be any worse so what have you got to lose.

• Like 1

An honest question -- have the Workington riders always been paid on time? You do hear of clubs that aren'd doing very well and losing fans struggle to pay riders.

Nothing to do with riders getting paid ..James Sargeant should be ashamed of himself , he should have gone months ago but they stuck with him and now look, he has just about finished Workington Speedway, an absolute disgrace .

Where to now , weeks left of this season, if speedway goes it won't come back , the management have made crap decisions throughout this season and a lot we don't agree with but they need us fans to rally round now more than ever , we have to get behind them and pull this Club through the next few weeks

• Like 5

An honest question -- have the Workington riders always been paid on time? You do hear of clubs that aren'd doing very well and losing fans struggle to pay riders.

i dont think there is anyone on this forum can actually answer that question and hold their hand up and say it is the truth .

So what made him turn on the crowd? You don't just snap for no reason

look at his starting stats .he is well known for jumping and thats why %99.9 of fans give him grief .

he is supposed to be the mature reserve , but he deserves everything that comes his way , inc the shot !

how do yo go from 12+2 one night and the return 1+1 on home soil .

he got a reasonable fine for removing his helmet DURING a race , he then threw his race bib on the ground as he was walking back through the pits gate ..

bargain average , my arse . )just an underperforming show pony .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

if only we could

a question for comercial dan

any news on the how long the unoffical forum is going to be down

think we would like to know if its temporary or been closed down for good

On the basis of what he did last night he is withholding his services, that's grounds at any time.

I know I would have been upset if I was a Workington fan last night but the score is deceiving as there were some pretty good races

Now, can I play Devils advocate again even tho' I do not condone James's behaviour.

James is a young lad who has earned himself a "reputation at the gate" and sadly, he will probably never lose it now - the ref's & fans are watching!!! The pressure he must feel every time he rocks up to the start line must be immense and the frustration when it goes wrong again must be even more immense. I truly hope James can get past all this as he is a great (GB) rider when he has a good meeting

• Like 3

I disagree to an extent.

I know Laura Morgan has made considerable personal and financial sacrifices to keep Workington Speedway going, sadly towards the end of last season there were doubts about speedway continuing in Workington due to low crowds. It would be a real shame if the doors were to be closed but sadly it wouldn't come as a shock.

Nothing to do with riders getting paid ..James Sargeant should be ashamed of himself , he should have gone months ago but they stuck with him and now look, he has just about finished Workington Speedway, an absolute disgrace .

Where to now , weeks left of this season, if speedway goes it won't come back , the management have made crap decisions throughout this season and a lot we don't agree with but they need us fans to rally round now more than ever , we have to get behind them and pull this Club through the next few weeks

You honestly believe that ONE RIDER has ''just about finished Workington Speedway''? I am a neutral but that sounds a very naïve statement to make.

• Like 2