British Speedway Forum

Workington V Edinburgh 16/09/17 7:00pm Champ

I guess I like many locally based speedway fans need to answer the question of how much we want to see Workington continue.

Unfortunately, too many fans have dwindled away over the course of this season and seasons past. In comparison to many other tracks, the promotion have been pro-active in trying to promote the sport but the Comets have consistently fielded (in my opinion) unattractive teams.

On paper, the side assembled at the start of this season was always going to be mid-table at best, as the likes of Jorgensen, Proctor and Roynon were unlikely to improve much beyond their starting average leaving Workington over-reliant on Craig Cook to score a maximum (or close to) week in week out.

Since then, Roynon has been replaced by Sargeant, which has proved to be a pretty disastrous signing and with Rob Shuttleworth deciding that reserve pay rates did make ends meet the Comets have been left fielding an unattached reserve week in week out. Both moves have taken further scoring power out of the team leading to poor results and a further diminishment of interest. With Craig Cook being absent on occasions, the Comets have been left without a big hitter further reducing the likelihood of victory and dare I say it interest.

The weather has equally been pretty disastrous with rain-off upon rain-off leaving big gaps on occasions between home meetings with further diminishment of interest.

Your questions have answered themselves, that is what the problems have been in the past and continues to be now, unless SGB can come up with a formula that provides consistency of the product we will continue to have a sport in decline?

As for the Comets situation I will continue to get down as much as possible but for me the writing is on the wall for the very reasons you quote, it's become too much of the same old same old, start with a team, end up with a team of individuals, too many meetings lost, too many blank weekends, too many allowances made for under performing riders, a few poor results and off we go again?

Far too many supporters have left, probably never to return to make the club viable as things stand, crowds of 300/350 are not going to sustain the club and unless we stop tinkering with rules/team builds and, in the case of the Comets, put together a competitive side that can consistently race together we will never break the cycle that we are currently in?

This team is failing because it hasn't come together soon enough and at this stage of the season, when the prizes have gone for another year, you won't see too many big returns from riders as their eyes will be on a job for next year, just take it in turns, do what needs doing and hope it's enough for the win, it happens all the time, supporters know that and as a result, it's bye bye til next time, the only time you'll stop that is when we as a team are competing at the business end and not just watching the season fading away?

If we run next year I would suggest a far more robust team management than we currently have, if you allow failing riders to perform every week you are effectively rewarding riders for doing exactly that, supporters then reward you by not turning up, even if you change and it doesn't solve the problem your at least being seen to be making an effort and that would stand you in far better stead than persevering with no hopers, change the riding order, freshen things up, do something different, not what we do now, too little too late? :t:

I guess I like many locally based speedway fans need to answer the question of how much we want to see Workington continue.

Unfortunately, too many fans have dwindled away over the course of this season and seasons past. In comparison to many other tracks, the promotion have been pro-active in trying to promote the sport but the Comets have consistently fielded (in my opinion) unattractive teams.

On paper, the side assembled at the start of this season was always going to be mid-table at best, as the likes of Jorgensen, Proctor and Roynon were unlikely to improve much beyond their starting average leaving Workington over-reliant on Craig Cook to score a maximum (or close to) week in week out.

Since then, Roynon has been replaced by Sargeant, which has proved to be a pretty disastrous signing and with Rob Shuttleworth deciding that reserve pay rates did make ends meet the Comets have been left fielding an unattached reserve week in week out. Both moves have taken further scoring power out of the team leading to poor results and a further diminishment of interest. With Craig Cook being absent on occasions, the Comets have been left without a big hitter further reducing the likelihood of victory and dare I say it interest.

The weather has equally been pretty disastrous with rain-off upon rain-off leaving big gaps on occasions between home meetings with further diminishment of interest.

Strangely (?) he scored 12+2 tonight guesting for Glasgow at Edinburgh!!

• Like 1

Sarjeant was excellent last night possibly tired later on but the best I have ever seen him.

The shared event shouldn't be anywhere near the cut off date and fair play to Workington for putting a meeting on that could still be vital to decide the play off teams.

And with the team worky have been forced to track, monarchs fans may require a calculator

So, we're using R/R coz we cant find any rider for Craig, the last few posts have asked, do we want speedway in Workington, and then we get this situation straight away, answers on a postcard?? :(

I think this has just shown up what a disaster the Premiership is when their individual Championship is populated "virtually" by Championship Ht Leaders? :oops:

• Like 6

be careful lord lucan for posting what you and EVERYONE else thinks . you may get a 28 day ban or even a 9 month one lol.

not good to see the bspa reading the beano and dandy while they could be working out how to save British speedway from being history !

where the heck has all the top flight racers gone , ? we seem to have them in our league.

but cant use them !

• Like 1

Is Sarj on a wind up? Deserves to be fined/sacked/released, his performances for Workington have been shambolic.

That's the problem they can't get shot,and he knows it,he can do what he wants,and after tonight probably the final nail in the coffin of Workington speedway seems everyones just given up,the management seemingly a long time ago
  • Like 1

i guess its no surprise that the unoffical comets forum is off line tonight

as for the comets management

well they deserve all the flack they get

my mate asked me tonight if id be unhappy if speedway r4an next year at workington and i found it hard to give him a answer

the junior match afterwards had more entertainment than the 15 long heats tonight

paul bowan would have been shown up in the 125 races as he couldnt turn his bike during the main meeting

the kids showed what a entertaining close race the track could produce

in the interest of speedway james sargent should be banned from the sport which also inclueds the start off next season

he is a disgrace to the whole sport

ive never ever seen a rider remove his helmet during a race before

ive seen riders get a fine for doing practice starts on parade without a helmet so james should at least get a fine

Edited by scarra

i guess its no surprise that the unoffical comets forum is off line tonight

as for the comets management

well they deserve all the flack they get

my mate asked me tonight if id be unhappy if speedway r4an next year at workington and i found it hard to give him a answer

the junior match afterwards had more entertainment than the 15 long heats tonight

paul bowan would have been shown up in the 125 races as he couldnt turn his bike during the main meeting

the kids showed what a entertaining close race the track could produce

in the interest of speedway james sargent should be banned from the sport which also inclueds the start off next season

he is a disgrace to the whole sport

ive never ever seen a rider remove his helmet during a race before

ive seen riders get a fine for doing practice starts on parade without a helmet so james should at least get a fine

He should be sacked immediately seems he deliberately went thru the tapes 3 times,no interest in going off 15 metres,gestured to the crowd and threw his race jacket at the owner,he's barely scoring anyway, so we may as well finish the season with six riders
  • Like 1

He should be sacked immediately seems he deliberately went thru the tapes 3 times,no interest in going off 15 metres,gestured to the crowd and threw his race jacket at the owner,he's barely scoring anyway, so we may as well finish the season with six riders

weve been saying this for weeks

its so obvious what hes doing

its in the best interests of both workington comets and british speedway to get rid of him

workington speedway is almost dead and james sarjent is a big part of it

the promotion/management must take a lot of the blame but this guy is responcible for for a good few fans not going anymore and i know that for a fact

also tonight they switched ty to 5 and used ulrich as a guest for jorgonson at 3

the change in rider order is 2 and 4 but yet again the promotion/management wont give the loyall fans that are left what they are asking for

its with a very heavy heart that i say it looks like speedway in cumbria is in its last few weeks

Edited by scarra
  • Like 1

I was told on the centre green that James had been fined £300 and that in one of the tape breaks his clutch had failed. Hoping that we still have a team next year but something needs to change..

id say your right about heat 2

james was unlucky in that 1 as max clegg mooved first and also jumped his 2nd ride but wasnt pulled back

really feel for laura as shes put a lot of money into speedway but unfortunatly she is surounded by people who are not good for workington speedway

right or wrong id say theres a few that need to move on if speedway at workington has a future

and to think we had 1 of the biggest crowds sometime back with 1500+ for a long time

how long do riders get to pay fines hopefully he wont pay and gets banned

Edited by scarra
  • Like 2

come on glasgow , sign sarj now. dont wait until 2018 L.O.L.

any speedway club who signs this nugget are asking for trouble .

never witnessed anything like this guy . he is an insult to our sport .

from a 5 poimt average to around a 2.5 while he has been turning up for workington .

sticking a finger up at the crowd shows what he thinks of workington speedway and its fans .

yep , that bargain average is getting better all the time .

i wonder if he is like that at the traffic lights in his car , always going on the amber ..

from 12+2 last night to 1+1 tonight . iif the bspa allowed it , i would rather run with 6 riders than this effort of a human being .

disgraceful , shambolic , abysmal , all the gear , but no idea . joke speedway rider . total fake and a failure .

very premature ,, in all things !

Edited by jenga
  • Like 2

Well that's the second time I've been to Derwent Park this season, the last time I commended on how many fans were there (or not there more to the point) in fact that addendace was massive looking at tonight's, really enjoyed the 2 match, maybe the way forward for Workington is the NL? If not I'm afraid it's RIP to the Comets

Think this meeting easily trumps the performance earlier in the season against Ipswich?

One of the most "heartless" meetings I've ever seen a Comets side put up in god knows how many years and the only positive thing I can say about this is a BIG well done to Mason Campton, without him for definite this would have been even more embarrassing, solid enough performances in support from Ostergaard/Proctor but unfortunately that's where it all ended?

Too easy for Edinburgh, Wells back at his best, Erik Riss just too good throughout, looked way too fast for our blokes and although he fell away a bit, Masters had done his winning when it was needed, solid efforts from the rest and play off time it is with an easy four pointer?

Three home meetings left to try and resurrect some pride in the team and at least go out with a bang as after this catastrophe unless there are some serious personnel changes both on and off the track this looks very much like the end of the Comets, I dont want it to happen but these collapses in form shouldn't keep happening, yes, I know we cant win anything but we can still keep winning and performing at home and keep the flag flying, you cant just give up like tonight and expect supporters to keep paying to watch? :nono:

Best thing to do now is just draw a line under this, regroup for tomorrow and start again, we wont be this bad, surely!!! :)

PS.

As for the Serjeant business, after that little strop the guy just needs to step back, take a deep breath and calm down, he wont go anywhere performing like that? He proved last night he can score points so why he falls apart down here is an absolute mystery to me, he was unlucky in the reserve race but, as for the rest of it, what happened, total enigma??? :unsure:

• Like 1

I would just have sacked Sargent there and then after he removed his helmet during the race and gave the finger to the crowd. What did he expect, a round of applause?

He is an embarrassment to the sport and should receive a lengthy ban carried over into 2018, which may prevent him getting his apparent wish to ride for Glasgow next season.