British Speedway Forum

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

Star Lady

Hey mate are you coming to the speedway again?

No I'll wait 'till the play offs, I like the big crowd atmosphere, it just seems better.

Oh right.

It doesn't work like that. But if it floats your boat, fair enough.

How does it work then?

Crowds for regular meetings would be the same whether you have play-offs or not.

Crowds took a massive dip during the 1990s, before play-offs were introduced.

The play-offs at the end of the season simply mean the teams get a chance of a bumper crowd. Take the away the play-offs and that opportunity is lost.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Crowds for regular meetings would be the same whether you have play-offs or not.

The play-offs at the end of the season simply mean the teams get a chance of a bumper crowd. Take the away the play-offs and that opportunity is lost.

All the best

Rob

How does it work then?

Speedway fan s crowd in the higher ... butit was then before in .

Like Lucifer said. :P

? Did Fred forget to change alias there, and obviously switched off the real dictionary spellchecker as well. :D

All the best

Rob

That's a moot point which'll never be proved one way or the other but certainly, as a peripatetic fan, I and the up to four folk I go with never attend a match involving a team for whom play-off qualification is assured. I'd rather go to a match involving the bottom two on the same day.

We've never been to a play-off either.

• Like 1

I described a scenario where fans miss the regular season but go along to the play offs and you counted that by describing a scenario where fans miss the regular season but go along to the play offs.

Where ?

That's a moot point which'll never be proved one way or the other but certainly, as a peripatetic fan, I and the up to four folk I go with never attend a match involving a team for whom play-off qualification is assured. I'd rather go to a match involving the bottom two on the same day.

We've never been to a play-off either.

What would be the difference between two teams that had already been assured of qualification and two teams who at the bottom of the league ? both matches would mean nothing .

And who do think would get the better crowd ?

What would be the difference between two teams that had already been assured of qualification and two teams who at the bottom of the league ? both matches would mean nothing .

And who do think would get the better crowd ?

With no team to support I go where I please and have my own way of deciding. In the past, I've seen some lively affairs between lower teams and I prefer those to matches involving already qualified teams. Just personal preference.

As for the better crowd, that's immaterial to me. OK, so I'm doing my bit to keep the less well-off teams going at the back end of the season rather than handing the money to those with the extra matches. :)

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 2

What's people's views on this one?

Do clubs get a better average attendance per meeting if they run weekly up to the end of the season or if they cram several fixtures into a short space of time or even run double header?

Here's one for people with promoting knowledge, do you make in gate receipts running two meeting one week after the next at full price or do double headers draw a bigger crowd in, that compensates for the reduced admission charged for the two meetings?

One of the problems now is Clubs don't run WEEKLY speedway ,they have to get back to running a fixture every week whenever possible or the fans just get out the habit.This season at most tracks it was a joke athe height of summer.Most tracks have an alternative race night ,so use that if the need arises to keep the continuity of meetings.Plays Offs have to be held after All fixtures are completeIMO.More co-operation required.

One of the problems now is Clubs don't run WEEKLY speedway ,they have to get back to running a fixture every week whenever possible or the fans just get out the habit.This season at most tracks it was a joke athe height of summer.Most tracks have an alternative race night ,so use that if the need arises to keep the continuity of meetings.Plays Offs have to be held after All fixtures are completeIMO.More co-operation required.

That is the point but you forgot to mention "self interest" which is one of the biggest problems. As has been proved in the past, teams changed race nights to suit Sky & now BT & during August & September, quite a few teams raced on a Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday just to get meetings done & these were not alternative race nights according to their websites. "As And When It Suits"