British Speedway Forum

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

Star Lady

Which should have been re-branded to European League Winners as it contains teams who finish 2nd,3rd or 4th in their respective leagues just to appease TV & Sponsors

Yeah, because the fans hate it don't they.

All those empty stadiums for the teams who finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

The absolute despair when your team clinches a Champions League place.

Damn those tv and sponsor people!

• Like 1

Speedway at it's absolute best.

Superb atmosphere, riders giving their absolute all.

I didn't know riders were not giving their all in other matches , what you describe should be standard in all matches , you shouldn't have to pay extra for basically you making the event atmosphere bettter
  • Like 2

The only way to make it work and have the two separate 'champions' if you will is as mentioned earlier in the thread and turn it into an 'event'. A weekend of speedway at the NSS etc.

However.. there is one big problem with that of course and that is the weather which may decide not to play ball!

You could move the British GP back. Then have the play off final at Cardiff on Friday night followed by the GP on Saturday.

That's what I call an event

Seems from rumours that speedway on TV is no longer the cash cow it was (if ever ) and the play-offs were brought in to suit TV, do we still need them.

Would it not be better to have a league with champions and an end of season cup competition so that clubs season doesn't end in August?

BT could always show the cup comp if they wanted to go into October.

Disclaimer....I've always been against play-offs

No because that would be boring. The play offs is speedways money shot. It's what it all leads up to.

Don't go then, it's really that simple.

im not going , not just because of things like the price rise , just lost interest in British speedway and that is where we are , if the sport can't get someone like me to go it's doing something wrong and needs to change it thinking , I'm not lost to the sport just the British version
  • Like 2

im not going , not just because of things like the price rise , just lost interest in British speedway and that is where we are , if the sport can't get someone like me to go it's doing something wrong and needs to change it thinking , I'm not lost to the sport just the British version

So the price is irrelevant then.

not interested in any other sports but when money is tight and the sport is struggling to attract fans it shouldn't be making the public pay extra , you get nothing extra for your money , the riders don't get anything extra , the costs are the same so why should the fans be charged extra ?

yet again tell me the difference from any other sport ? You get plenty extra in terms that you see a grand final with every rider trying a 100 % and with a chance of your team become league champions..every club is losing money and you want to stop them giving them a chance of getting some of it back . Edited by orion
  • Like 1

If they charge more for the Play-Offs, then what about some of the weakened line-ups and the early cancellations they offer from March-August? Surely they should drop some of the prices.

yet again tell me the difference from any other sport ? You get plenty extra in terms that you see a grand final with every rider trying a 100 % and with a chance of your team become league champions..every club is losing money and you want to stop them giving them a chance of getting some of it back .

I guess your not reading my other posts of why I feel I no longer have a team to follow

Im of the opinion that the team that finishes top of the league at the end of the season are the real champions as they have had that consistency over the whole year not just four matches. Having said that we now use that system so we have to go with it. The thing is it was supposed to be a system that would give clubs some incentive if they were not going to finish top of the pile and also give the qualifying clubs a couple of good paydays. Now at Belle Vue we qualified for the play offs a while back so the remaining matches were in effect meaningless as we were not going to finish top. Thus we have seen crowds drop over the tail end of the season, question is will a good crowd on Monday and also for the final if we get through compensate for the lost revenue in the regular league matches that saw people stay away waiting for the play offs to begin?

The best bit of the Speedway season is the playoffs. It's what keeps us interested!

I've missed quite a few meetings on tv. But I'd never miss a playoff meeting. Look at Monday, that was brilliant, proper screaming at the tv stuff!

In fact. When I was in the Midlands I'd go to the meeting then watch it back when I got home...

2010 has been watched many times in fact 😁

• Like 2

Im of the opinion that the team that finishes top of the league at the end of the season are the real champions as they have had that consistency over the whole year not just four matches. Having said that we now use that system so we have to go with it. The thing is it was supposed to be a system that would give clubs some incentive if they were not going to finish top of the pile and also give the qualifying clubs a couple of good paydays. Now at Belle Vue we qualified for the play offs a while back so the remaining matches were in effect meaningless as we were not going to finish top. Thus we have seen crowds drop over the tail end of the season, question is will a good crowd on Monday and also for the final if we get through compensate for the lost revenue in the regular league matches that saw people stay away waiting for the play offs to begin?

If you were not going to finish top, they would still have been meaningless without the play-offs.

However, given how close the top three were this year I don't buy that you weren't going to finish top and this year is an exception in that if there weren't any playoffs the race for the title would have been fantastic. Things would I am sure have played out differently too.

Yet again if there was runaway leaders in a normal season all the matches would be meaningless and you would lose revenue without any chance of getting it back .

• Like 1

The thing that's coming over loud and clear is that play off matches see riders giving 100%. I cannot argue with that after witnessing my first ever play off at the NSS last year. It was one of my most enjoyable nights of speedway in nearly half a century of watching the sport.

The flip side is that other meetings are run with riders not giving their all, I can't argue with that either and this is the problem.

Years ago many teams knew from day one that they weren't going to top the table but the pecking order especially with local rivals was still a focus. Riders wanted to perform for THEIR club no matter what and fans wanted to watch them. Your place in the table was as important at the last meeting as it was for the first.

Now you either qualify or you don't.

Fans now have a mental benchmark for what is "good" speedway, speedway worth going out for. The inevitable consequence of this is they can feel (most) other meetings just aren't worth the bother.

The question is does the extra? attendance immediately before and during play offs make up for the rest of the year?

• Like 3

The thing that's coming over loud and clear is that play off matches see riders giving 100%. I cannot argue with that after witnessing my first ever play off at the NSS last year. It was one of my most enjoyable nights of speedway in nearly half a century of watching the sport.

The flip side is that other meetings are run with riders not giving their all, I can't argue with that either and this is the problem.

Years ago many teams knew from day one that they weren't going to top the table but the pecking order especially with local rivals was still a focus. Riders wanted to perform for THEIR club no matter what and fans wanted to watch them. Your place in the table was as important at the last meeting as it was for the first.

Now you either qualify or you don't.

Fans now have a mental benchmark for what is "good" speedway, speedway worth going out for. The inevitable consequence of this is they can feel (most) other meetings just aren't worth the bother.

The question is does the extra? attendance immediately before and during play offs make up for the rest of the year?

Agree.

Yet again if there was runaway leaders in a normal season all the matches would be meaningless and you would lose revenue without any chance of getting it back .

I doubt it... as teams usually increase support when they are successful.