British Speedway Forum

Poole V Swindon Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/17

Most riders will tell you that going from slick to a wide dirt line is dangerous. Sudden grip which pulls you into the fence. Whilst it allows for "big blasts round the outside" it is dangerous as every rider is going for the same part of the track. Look at every heat, from the start every rider was aiming to get up to the high line.

I accept that the track staff had limited time & rain didn't help.

What a cracking meeting that was, speedway as it should be. My thoughts:

- I expected to log on and see people acknowledging that actually the Poole track produces good racing. But over half the people on here are complaining about it!?! Cant understand it - I measure a track by two things. Is it safe, and how good is the racing? The racing was excellent, and I dont think it loked dangerous. It required riders to ride with heart, head anmd skill, and thats the way it should be. Much rather watch racing on a track like that than on something so smooth, fast, and easy to ride athat there is no passing. Best meeting I can recall watching this season outside of the the NSS.

- Swindon were undoubtedly strengthened by Newman. Not going to pass judgement on whether it was dodfy or not, but not going to shed tears for Poole with their history. Hve to say Swindon are starting to do much the same (Bacth/Ward gate for example)

- Cant understand any Poole fan booing Neman. When Aces offloaded my favourite rider Larry Ross, whenever Halifax came to visit I'd still be cheering for him, hoping he'd score a max and the Aces would win.

-5 out of 7 Poole riders did their job, Holder and Lahti let them down

-For Swindon, everyone did their job

- Shanes is a great little battler, shows why every team should have at least one brit at reseve, hope he is back at Poole next year

-Newmans team riding when Ellis went off 15m was absolutely superb, slowing the race down perfectly, cant remember the last time I saw someone do it so well - Darcy?

- Swindon had the rub of the green with luck, but that said ould easily have ended more than 2 points iup 0-

-instructions to not build too big a lead in last 2 heats to ensure a big crowd for the 2nd leg ;) othwrwise was an odd choice not to put out Morris and Doyle as a pair after their efforts in ht13 , regardless of how well Musielak had ridden.

In summary, great meeting, great result, and look forward to seeing a kiwi back in swindon colurs for the 2nd leg. If the Aces dont win this year, I hope the Robins do, certainly noone can acuse their fans of being glory hunters!

Edited by hyabb17

Most riders will tell you that going from slick to a wide dirt line is dangerous. Sudden grip which pulls you into the fence. Whilst it allows for "big blasts round the outside" it is dangerous as every rider is going for the same part of the track. Look at every heat, from the start every rider was aiming to get up to the high line.

I accept that the track staff had limited time & rain didn't help.

Holder certainly didn't look to get to the high line on heat 1 😉

But there was passing on the inside as well as outside. And apart from 1st bend incidents, only one fall all night. Certainly didn't think the track looked dangerous, and the racing was top notch.

I really don't get how anyone can complain about the track after a meeting like that, or say it was a good meeting "despite the track."

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours differs from mine but that's what makes the debate. The bumps did not help at all, all bikes were bouncing into the corners. That can't be safe, can it?

I even note that Darcy Ward made a comment on how bumpy it was.

Holder certainly didn't look to get to the high line on heat 1 😉

But there was passing on the inside as well as outside. And apart from 1st bend incidents, only one fall all night. Certainly didn't think the track looked dangerous, and the racing was top notch.

I really don't get how anyone can complain about the track after a meeting like that, or say it was a good meeting "despite the track."

Edited by hyabb17
  • Like 1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours differs from mine but that's what makes the debate. The bumps did not help at all, all bikes were bouncing into the corners. That can't be safe, can it?

Agree it's all opinions, I'm just amazed anyone would complain about the track after that meeting.
  • Like 2

Oh FFS! Hans has said he prefers it bumpy cos away riders don't like it, so get the away riders to fake liking it and maybe they will change it. Best racing at Poole all season and still people moan moan moan and whinge. I think you lot moaning wouldn't know fun if it bit you on the bum!
  • Like 3

Oh FFS! Hans has said he prefers it bumpy cos away riders don't like it, so get the away riders to fake liking it and maybe they will change it. Best racing at Poole all season and still people moan moan moan and whinge. I think you lot moaning wouldn't know fun if it bit you on the bum!

I think we've been brainwashed into thinking tracks have to be smooth and bald . I thoroughly enjoyed that last night , there were some terrific races , surely as a neutral that's what you want to see , rather than 15 heats of follow the leader on a one line track .

• Like 6

Just making some points, if you can't take those onboard then that's not my problem.

Love, I have more fun at the weekend the most do in a lifetime.

Edited by hyabb17
  • Like 2

Judged by the results at the FPA this season everyone loves it bumpy...

Steve Shoveller asserted there were about 20 Robins fans in attendance, and questions why

It seems to back my strongly held, and oft repeated, belief that live televising of a league match keeps the attendance down, some, or many, preferring the comfort of their armchair, or bar stool at their local, to view the match instead of paying their turnstile entrance money

Yes, reduced admission prices for some tv matches has looked to increase crowd figures, but I wonder if there's any net financial gain from such an exercise, or is it purely cosmetic

How many stayaway Robins fans would have travelled to Poole last night if it hadn't been on tv?

• Like 1

The mixed weather forecast was the issue for me. It's a 90-95 min drive when the traffic isn't bad. Didn't fancy making that journey for a rain off. Done that in 2012 & got near the track & had to turn around

Steve Shoveller asserted there were about 20 Robins fans in attendance, and questions why

It seems to back my strongly held, and oft repeated, belief that live televising of a league match keeps the attendance down, some, or many, preferring the comfort of their armchair, or bar stool at their local, to view the match instead of paying their turnstile entrance money

Yes, reduced admission prices for some tv matches has looked to increase crowd figures, but I wonder if there's any net financial gain from such an exercise, or is it purely cosmetic

How many stayaway Robins fans would have travelled to Poole last night if it hadn't been on tv?

The mixed weather forecast was the issue for me. It's a 90-95 min drive when the traffic isn't bad. Didn't fancy making that journey for a rain off. Done that in 2012 & got near the track & had to turn around

If it hadn't been on tv, perhaps you would have chanced it?

My brother and I only decided to travel down to Poole at 15.00 due to the possibility of a rain off. The forecast was extremely hit and miss, so can understand the decision of any Swindon fan not to travel.

There was much more than 20 Swindon fans there but SS, I think, was trying to detract from the poor home crowd. I turned up at just after 19.00 and walked straight in. I could have even sat in the stand if I so desired, which should tell you it was a below par crowd for a semi final.

Look forward to the hundreds of 'The People's Favourites' supporters making the short trip now they are right back in the tie.

Just making some points, if you can't take those onboard then that's not my problem.

Love, I have more fun at the weekend the most do in a lifetime.

Yes, make your point but some keep going on and on and on plus maybe we should have it smooth and bold like Lakeside used to, would that make if better? No of course it wouldn't, it would have been gate and go. Best racing at Poole for a while and i enjoyed the racing even though we lost!

Yes, make your point but some keep going on and on and on plus maybe we should have it smooth and bold like Lakeside used to, would that make if better? No of course it wouldn't, it would have been gate and go. Best racing at Poole for a while and i enjoyed the racing even though we lost!

Oh ffs, I knew sooner or later Lakesides track would be brought up😅.