British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2018

3 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I'd be intrigued to know what alternative they think is possible. Perhaps they could just go off and run their little fantasy while the rest of speedway rebuilds on sane lines?

That's three times now my Rockets have died. My worry this time is that it is the stadium leaseholders involved and any replacement future promotion would have to deal with them rather than a third party, as is usually the case in speedway. One promotion goes and a replacement does a deal with the landlords. It's not so easy this time. 

I tried to prepare people for the worst..........

I have to agree with you. The stadium ownership is going to be a major problem for any revival.

The quicker the powers at be realise that the Sport needs a total revamp at a lower level and build up again the better IMO.Its been staring them in the face for the last few seasons.The riders will be getting a little nervous these days.Feel sad for Rye fans,hopefully the can be resurrected by someone next season.Guests ,doubling-up and fixed race nights have to go.The sport has to be creditable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mb1990 said:

Feel for the Rye House fans.  How many more club's are we going to lose before the penny drops and those in charge realise things need to change?

The trouble is not they have not changed things but that they keep making changes that make no sense. Almost every year we hear that the changes we made at this AGM are the changes that will ensure the long term success of British Speedway. The last time they made changes that were made and ensured the future of British Speedway was at the 1964 AGM.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I'd be intrigued to know what alternative they think is possible. Perhaps they could just go off and run their little fantasy while the rest of speedway rebuilds on sane lines?

That's three times now my Rockets have died. My worry this time is that it is the stadium leaseholders involved and any replacement future promotion would have to deal with them rather than a third party, as is usually the case in speedway. One promotion goes and a replacement does a deal with the landlords. It's not so easy this time. 

I tried to prepare people for the worst..........

Do the current promoters or Len own the leasehold, Len purchased the leasehold a few years ago now. 

38 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO but why would Len or anyone for that matter want to spend money on a business that, in its current form, has already been administered the last rites?

Is this the angle we can expect the Speedway Star to come from now going forward Phil ? 

Game over ?

1 minute ago, semion said:

Is this the angle we can expect the Speedway Star to come from now going forward Phil ? 

Game over ?

Regretfully this is the truth of the matter.

25 minutes ago, semion said:

Game over ?

I REPEAT that any views I express here are my own. But I think in the very near future SS will be expressing its concern not only about British speedway but the magazine itself. The two go hand-in-hand and with attendances dramatically down right across the spectrum of British speedway sales of Speedway Star are inevitably adversely affected.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

2 hours ago, mrss said:

What did anyone expect? Rye stadium is a dump, the team is rubbish ,and the promoter is a prat. Little wonder people didn't support it.

And yet when I went at the beginning of last season the place was packed. Literally thousands were there. 

Its none of those things that has done Rye House, its the switch of race nights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Halifaxtiger said:

And yet when I went at the beginning of last season the place was packed. Literally thousands were there. 

Its none of those things that has done Rye House, its the switch of race nights.

I agree with this but £10k each meeting is a huge sum, if true.  The BSPA release also said BMR notified them of the troubles, as well as riders.  As they are the leaseholders, did they sub-let to the promotors and charge a rent?  BSPA release doesn't make it sound like the promoters are BMR.