British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2018

44 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

As have the long drawn out BSPA negotiations. If the rumour I heard was that a prominent Championship team were going to take over the Rye House position in the Premiership and vice versa mid-season. That's a lot to talk about IF it is more than a rumour. A real House of Cards that would be. Has to be a fantasy?

I can't even begin to think how that would work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

As have the long drawn out BSPA negotiations. If the rumour I heard was that a prominent Championship team were going to take over the Rye House position in the Premiership and vice versa mid-season. That's a lot to talk about IF it is more than a rumour. A real House of Cards that would be. Has to be a fantasy?

Well I think the BSPA all live in fantasy land anyway.  If that idea was even being considered it has to be the daftest one they've come up with yet.  I think every supporter in the country knows that won't work.  If it's considered for next year it would be a good idea.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shadders said:

Averaging around 400 I’ve been told. That’s not sustainable at Championship level, let alone the Premiership. 

I heard about 1500 needed to break even and only getting about 500.

4 hours ago, colin wood said:

It always does when Starman starts posting.He thinks he knows BV crowd size and he's never been near the place.

Only got to look with my eyes old son at the TV pictures, you dont have to be Einstien to work it out near as damit.. As i said , pull the wool over somebody else's eyes, you'l have to get up real early to fool me..;)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Only got to look with my eyes old son at the TV pictures, you dont have to be Einstien to work it out near as damit.. As i said , pull the wool over somebody else's eyes, you'l have to get up real early to fool me..;)

So you've just seen the tv matches ?  How many of those have there been Starry ?  Not exactly an accurate way to guess at figures really imo.

Rye house is a dilapidated old stadium. It has been for years. It looks like it was thrown together in the 50’s and hasn’t been touched since. 

If if one of your biggest selling points is “the best fish and chips in speedway” you know you’re already knee deep in the brown stuff. No one seems to know ( or care) how to bring it into the 21st century in terms of comfort, catering, presentation or anything else that would attract someone to it as an evenings entertainment  

Its sad but just put it out of its misery. You really are flogging a dead horse 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Rye house is a dilapidated old stadium. It has been for years. It looks like it was thrown together in the 50’s and hasn’t been touched since. 

If if one of your biggest selling points is “the best fish and chips in speedway” you know you’re already knee deep in the brown stuff. No one seems to know ( or care) how to bring it into the 21st century in terms of comfort, catering, presentation or anything else that would attract someone to it as an evenings entertainment  

Rye House using the fish and chips as a selling point stopped about a decade ago. 

The stadium does need work doing to it though and what has been done by the promotion to this point hasn’t improved it from when Len Silver left. 

That said, you don’t just put it out of its misery because we’re going through a rough patch. Until this point we’ve been one of the most stable clubs in the country since our reformation. 

When there were calls for us to move up a league in the mid-00s Len always said it wasn’t viable. He may not have been the best at promoting the club at that point but nonetheless it looks like he was right from a business standpoint. 

• Like 4

If I may return the topic to Rye House for a moment...I must say I really did think that some kind of statement would have been put out by now. Can the Speedway Star really go with a "let's pretend nothing's happened at RH" approach tomorrow?

9 minutes ago, White City Rebel said:

If I may return the topic to Rye House for a moment...I must say I really did think that some kind of statement would have been put out by now. Can the Speedway Star really go with a "let's pretend nothing's happened at RH" approach tomorrow?

It is incredible that over 1 week since the first announcement was put out, there has not been a single statement form the BSPA as to what is/may be going on.

Appreciate there may have been some internal negotiations/discussions but it just further highlights the problems at the so called top level of the sport.

It also adds confusion when one reads on the Swindon Forum that approval has been given for the demolition of the current stadium but nothing is mentioned about what about the new stadium that was supposed to have been built 1/2 years ago. Comments about complaints from new residents on the new housing development about Speedway noise but not one positive comment put out that work will start on the new stadium on ???. Also one poster mentions that too long a gap between meetings and maybe the 11th July home meeting may be in doubt ???. May all be just rumour but no news coming out of such situations just frustrates things for all concerned with the clubs.

Perhaps the current issues are wider reaching than just Rye House ???

Very worrying times.

Was it a leak or was it a "fact" that we would we told something on Tuesday ( the one just passed)? Not only for Rye House it really is very dangerous for the whole sport, if this is not a one club wobble but a sport-wide earthquake. My view of it is that it must have closed because it is no longer open. It's last fixture was cancelled. I hope someone. sometime corrects my assumption.

22 hours ago, Najjer said:

Does the National League team make money... does this offset some of the costs incurred from the Premiership side? It's a weird situation if a 3rd division side is propping up the 1st division side however. If it doesn't make money, why have they even got a 3rd division side?

Does the World Cup/Speedway of Nations bring in considerable cash to top up the bank balance?

If you're seriously suggesting a business model of "We are losing money, but it's better than any other options" is a good one, I hope you never go into business.

Actually I have 4 businesses and my point is if the company can't make money then it should not be trading. Of course it is a lot easier said than done just winding up a company.

By the way, my companies are very profitable and I have sponsored speedway over the years but not all of my businesses have made money all of the time. That is the nature of business and I have been in business 30 years.

Edited by TesarRacing
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Didn't you once get confused between the sport of rugby and the town of Rubgy? :rofl:  (and this isn't even a joke!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Rye House was the first place I ever watched Speedway and, with the exception of Torun and Glasgow, still my favourite place to watch the sport. It may be run down but it's a great track and I go for the racing not the creature comforts. 

There were substantial four figure crowds there for much of last season but the fixed race nights and a peculiar distance and lack of promotion from BMR (probably linked to the cashflow crisis we're currently seeing) as well as the gawdawful MotoX track have combined to kill the crowds and atmosphere there. 

It can be revived, probably with Saturday racing and the switch to the second tier racing that might entail but talk of "put it out of its misery...flogging a dead horse" is ignorant BS which fails to ackowledge how precious *any* currently operating track is in the precarious times for this great sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Jonny the spud obviously hasnt been to many of his boys home meetings at Lakeside then. Now that is an absolute dump. 

Christ, is he a Lakeside fan? 

I like the track but it suffers the same negative attributes you could throw at Rye House (and maybe more given that Rye House has a far superior view of the racing - at least prior to the mudheap in the middle) and it's the racing that matters. 

Edited by SFTGNigel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Pr1ck.

Rye probably had the second/third highest average crowds in the division on a Saturday or Friday night last season.

12 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

The fish and chips are no longer a selling point. As for the stadium being dilapidated yes it does need major improvement to bring it into the 21st century but so do many other speedway stadiums. What Rye does have (or maybe did) is loyal fans who want to see speedway at Rye and elsewhere survive.  To say just "put it out of its misery" is an insult to all of us who loyally support the team and speedway (even though we do have our moans and groans along the way).

• Like 3