British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2018

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I don't think even Shovlar could be that cruel to post it if he wasn't certain. 

My point is it’s not official anywhere, so at this stage it’s speculation. 

Tine will tell if a ‘source’ proves right.

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FAT lady not signing yet but she is certainly doing her warm up. Fear there will be more to come before October. British speedway is in a very parlous state right now.

Very true , many tracks seem to be well down on attendances, not helped by race nights and disjointed fixture list

If the team are unable to continue and that in itself is a sad state of affairs and the blame must sit with the BSPA who voted through the changes that have had such a detrimental affect on clubs and in turn lead to supporters not turning up on ‘off’ race nights one must hope that the speedway track is retained and perhaps an open licence can be granted to run some individual meetings and possibly share with short track until something more permanent can be sorted out. The sport really has hit a nadir and those in charge should hang their collective heads in shame. Time to have an emergency BSPA meeting, sort it out now and not November and allow clubs to revert to race nights that offer the  best chance of getting punters through the gate and clubs generating some income. Sod Poland and the other nations, start thinking of number one. Are you listening BSPA?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FAT lady not signing yet but she is certainly doing her warm up. Fear there will be more to come before October. British speedway is in a very parlous state right now.

I commented on here a couple of months ago that the fixed race nights were harming my club, only to receive a snide tweet about my observations on the matter. No one is laughing now. If the news is true, hope Rye come back in 2019.

Edited by mikec

3 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

If the team are unable to continue and that in itself is a sad state of affairs and the blame must sit with the BSPA who voted through the changes that have had such a detrimental affect on clubs and in turn lead to supporters not turning up on ‘off’ race nights one must hope that the speedway track is retained and perhaps an open licence can be granted to run some individual meetings and possibly share with short track until something more permanent can be sorted out. The sport really has hit a nadir and those in charge should hang their collective heads in shame. Time to have an emergency BSPA meeting, sort it out now and not November and allow clubs to revert to race nights that offer the  best chance of getting punters through the gate and clubs generating some income. Sod Poland and the other nations, start thinking of number one. Are you listening BSPA?

I'm gonna defend the BSPA a bit. Yes they are a p!$$ poor organisation but the issue has to be with the naivety of Rye's promoters. 

Us fans have been screaming for fixed race night's for years. Now we've got them there is always going to be teething problems. 

In hindsight we should have gone with 3 night's rather than the 2.

I think we should stick with fixed race night's and add the Friday to it.

Belle Vue and Somerset would obviously prefer. Hopefully Rye House can return in 2019 and go with Friday too. 

Maybe we can increase the size of the Premiership and include Sheffield and Ipswich to the league.

With such a change thing's have to be tried and tested. 2018 has failed, hopefully 2019 will be a progressive season.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well the source who told me will most certainly know. 

Very sad. Hope they can come back next season on a night they feel happy with. 

Sad day ,if true. Hope your source is wrong, but I don't think you would post it, if it wasn't good info. :sad:

7 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I feared a few clubs would hit the wall this season after seeing the outcome of the AGM.

When I was in 'the club' I was always amazed at the amount of ideas coming from promoters which increased costs and when ever I had an idea that increased revenue they would turn their nose up.

Seems the boat has now sailed and nothing but a complete reset will fix the mess the sport is now in. 

When the whole lot collapses I may put a plan together for a few clubs to break away and start a new league based around British riders on club supplied equipment with standard engines.

Numbers drawn out of a hat for who rides what bike before the start of a race with team selections made after practice.

From there the sport can grow again.

SOME good thoughts there JC

• Like 2

The sport in the U.K. tends to have a history of racing seven nights a week and clubs rode on those nights that suited the local fan base. With few exceptions popular race days were Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Others found success on alternative nights because of the number of clubs in the various leagues. Now the sport has to share the action with other nations this is not conducive to the uK business model. Tinkering has failed. Ignoring the fan base has failed. Only the NL (except Stoke) seems to be getting on with entertaining the punter and providing opportunity to new riders. The BSPA have failed to listen and learn. They think they know best and that may possibly be right but those that really count, the fans do not agree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MY guess is that we are heading for one league ... the question is how many tracks will be in it?

I think two leagues. One NL and the rest and if it is the same number that are open today in the pl and cl then it must be regionalised for financial survival. North and South each with own league and final being between winners of North and South. Cup competition on a national basis, best pairs, 4TT and individual British championship with every league rider eligible with qualifying rounds and final in September for the top scorers. Anything that stops the rot and wholesale closure of tracks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

It's true.

Rumours at Poole tonight is that we are picking up Harris or Nicholls maybe both. Grajczonek or Szczepaniak going. Maybe even both

Hope Rye return next year.

Was that from one of your well placed connections?

or are you sitting at home making stuff up as usual ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

It's true.

Rumours at Poole tonight is that we are picking up Harris or Nicholls maybe both. Grajczonek or Szczepaniak going. Maybe even both

Hope Rye return next year.

:rofl: guess you haven't checked out the averages before posting that garbage 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SOME good thoughts there JC

excellent idea. best 2 wheeled racing i have ever seen was the yamaha pro am series in the 80's. riders drew a number from a hat for a standard bike and engine supplied by yamaha , close exciting racing and the best rider won not the one with the most money!

I am sadly not surprised. I rarely tweet, but did so on 20th Nov 2017 - highly praised on Twitter and here, especially by international speedway hangers on - that it wasn't good for British Speedway. Once a 7 day sport, week in, week out during March to October, the cost of losing that hurts clubs. As other sports move towards a 7 day model too. Speedway got there first.

Look at a track like Coventry, all bar the first Saturday of the month. Speedway. Easy to plan, easy to arrange.

Attendances and profile of the sport is now higher in Scotland than the West Midlands. The second tier is far more attractive to fans and promoters. International Riders should not dictate race nights, fans should. The small, irregular top flight will cease to exist. I was an Elite League snob, but the strengths of each division has closed tremendously, aided by the poorly thought double upping and continued absence of top riders. Time to accept where the footfall is, and is not, of fans.

• Like 1