British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2018

At the last two meetings of 2017 at Rye House it was mentioned that the Kings Lynn meeting would not be the last meeting of the season and we should look out for news of the last meeting. Still no news which makes me wonder if the idea has been dropped. If it has I can understand why but it would be nice to have confirmation or is that expecting too much?

That was what I thought but I always live in hope!

Think there will be but usual story it is the availability of riders which does not help. Think the re -arranging of champ riders meeting on a Sat does not help things

Lack of communication from the club regarding whether this is happening or not is poor. There'll have been no speedway at Rye for over a month by the time it rolls around, if indeed it does. Just another part of a disjointed season of racing at Rye. A Raiders side is needed for next year to keep the fixtures coming regularly.

Lack of communication from the club regarding whether this is happening or not is poor. There'll have been no speedway at Rye for over a month by the time it rolls around, if indeed it does. Just another part of a disjointed season of racing at Rye. A Raiders side is needed for next year to keep the fixtures coming regularly.

Totally agree with regard to the Raiders, continuity of fixtures keeps the interest.

Can't see it happening though.

I would agree that from a fan point of view then a Raiders team is a great idea but sadly I suspect most of us have seen how few of our fellow fans will watch a Premiership/Championship team and also watch a National League team at the same track on a regular basis. I have seen the size of crowds over the years at National League meetings at tracks that have a team in one of the higher leagues and with that knowledge I can understand why promoters do not want to run two teams at many tracks. What is needed is fixture lists that give a full programme of fixtures in the league of choice then tracks could run a full programme with just one team.

Rye House has been the track I have visited the most in the last year and this season they ran/planned home meetings as follows:-

April - 4 Saturday night

May- 2 Saturday night (1 rained off), 1 Bank Holiday afternoon, 1 Junior on a Sunday afternoon

June - 1 Wednesday night, 1 Junior on a Sunday afternoon

July - 1 Saturday night

August - 4 Wednesday night (2 rained off), 1 Saturday night, 1 Bank Holiday night, 1 Tuesday night

September - 1 Friday night, 1 Monday night

Just shows how uneven a fixture list Rye House landed up with. Two senior meetings in two months during the middle of the season with four meetings in eight days at the end of the season. I would agree a Raiders side could have filled some of the blank dates but would they have broken even, let alone made a small profit? The questions we really need to find an answers to are how does a track run a season with regular meetings that will be supported by the fans? Are we willing to have a meeting once a fortnight or do we want weekly meetings? Do we want to watch racing in two leagues or will we only support the team in the higher league?

Personally, I am happy to watch racing in all three leagues given the chance but find weekday meetings much easier to attend due to other committments at weekends.

I would agree that from a fan point of view then a Raiders team is a great idea but sadly I suspect most of us have seen how few of our fellow fans will watch a Premiership/Championship team and also watch a National League team at the same track on a regular basis. I have seen the size of crowds over the years at National League meetings at tracks that have a team in one of the higher leagues and with that knowledge I can understand why promoters do not want to run two teams at many tracks. What is needed is fixture lists that give a full programme of fixtures in the league of choice then tracks could run a full programme with just one team.

Rye House has been the track I have visited the most in the last year and this season they ran/planned home meetings as follows:-

April - 4 Saturday night

May- 2 Saturday night (1 rained off), 1 Bank Holiday afternoon, 1 Junior on a Sunday afternoon

June - 1 Wednesday night, 1 Junior on a Sunday afternoon

July - 1 Saturday night

August - 4 Wednesday night (2 rained off), 1 Saturday night, 1 Bank Holiday night, 1 Tuesday night

September - 1 Friday night, 1 Monday night

Just shows how uneven a fixture list Rye House landed up with. Two senior meetings in two months during the middle of the season with four meetings in eight days at the end of the season. I would agree a Raiders side could have filled some of the blank dates but would they have broken even, let alone made a small profit? The questions we really need to find an answers to are how does a track run a season with regular meetings that will be supported by the fans? Are we willing to have a meeting once a fortnight or do we want weekly meetings? Do we want to watch racing in two leagues or will we only support the team in the higher league?

Personally, I am happy to watch racing in all three leagues given the chance but find weekday meetings much easier to attend due to other committments at weekends.

I attended every meeting that was on a Saturday but can't make weekdays meetings due to time restraints/work. I felt a bit short changed after supporting them every week until about June, then only seeing 1 more meeting

How were the crowds for the weekday meetings, anything like the Saturday crowds?

If I'm honest I wouldn't travel to Rye to watch National league with both Kent and Lakeside closer

I attended every meeting that was on a Saturday but can't make weekdays meetings due to time restraints/work. I felt a bit short changed after supporting them every week until about June, then only seeing 1 more meeting

How were the crowds for the weekday meetings, anything like the Saturday crowds?

If I'm honest I wouldn't travel to Rye to watch National league with both Kent and Lakeside closer

I only got to a couple of Saturday meetings but based on those I got the impression that the crowds were nearly the same midweek as they were on Saturdays.

I only got to a couple of Saturday meetings but based on those I got the impression that the crowds were nearly the same midweek as they were on Saturdays.

Gotta disagree there. Some of those midweek meetings were very poorly supported compared to Saturday. But on the flip side some of those meeting were in a space of 10 days where we ran 5 meetings but i really don't think midweek would be the favourite of many at Rye.

But that fixture list was awful regular meetings, even if they were Raider meeting may well help to keep supporters interested.

Gotta disagree there. Some of those midweek meetings were very poorly supported compared to Saturday. But on the flip side some of those meeting were in a space of 10 days where we ran 5 meetings but i really don't think midweek would be the favourite of many at Rye.

But that fixture list was awful regular meetings, even if they were Raider meeting may well help to keep supporters interested.

The meetings in that last week saw one of the biggest crowds for the TV meeting followed by poor crowds. Talking to regulars around me, many of them did two or three out of four because they could not afford so many meetings in such a short time. Running regular meetings means supporters follow their team but the way things were this last season you never knew when the next meeting would be. That makes it very hard to get new fans involved which is not good for the future of either Rye House or the sport as a whole.

There will also likely. Be competition for the fans if Lakeside return to the premier league next season..How many wil return ? Will there be enough fans to make two clubs in close proximity financially viable..people do not have a bottomless pit to spend on speedway especially at the top level......

There won't be another meeting at Rye this year

Not surprised. These things need to be organised well in advance. Playoffs have ruined Speedway for me with the season over at start of September for lots of teams. The sport always looked better under floodlights but now we end before we need to switch the lights on.

It might not be long before the sport is just a series of open meetings.

Edited by JmeRay

It might not be long before the sport is just a series of open meetings.

I have often thought that open meetings on the style favoured in the USA rather than league matches could be the salvation of speedway in Britain.

Any views on this suggestion?

I have often thought that open meetings on the style favoured in the USA rather than league matches could be the salvation of speedway in Britain.

Not my cup of tea for regular Speedway. I like the team aspect but thats being destroyed now.

No. There isn't a country without a league system where the sport thrives. It'd be no different here, just another nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

No team speedway no me.Individual meetings are ok every now and then but team speedway is what gives me that buzz.Theres nothing like your team having a good season.Following a team is what keeps my interest up for the full season its where every heat really means something.Team speedway also keeps my interest up during the closed season whats the points limit who are we going to sign who are other teams signing etc.Without that there would be nothing of any interest going on through all the cold winter months.

TEAM SPEEDWAY HANDS DOWN FOR ME.

• Like 1