British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2018

from the moment frn were voted in i could see the damage it would do , fans are used to there race nights, the atmosphere is different on another night , people have plans on other nights

its ridiculous now to think the bspa even put this on the table ....just to appease some riders .......

imo we should go back to fri and sat race nights ignore the gp riders , start from the bottom and work up , if we can one day get the money back into british speedway the top riders will all come back

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ONE league (combined PL/CL) momentum is gathering strength ... no 'star' names which to many will be viewed as a watered down product.

It is a watered down product with out doubt  but we are fast approaching the realms of watered down one big league one option or we carry on as we are and many tracks will go out of business so the choice is watered down to one big league with hopefully all clubs surviving or we carry on and see many closures ? I’d like to think it would be two steps back 5 steps forward over the next few years speedway in the UK is living beyond its means and it’s time to realise this before it’s too late 

• Like 5

Thats what i heard to. They asked to run saturday but BSPA refused. Why refuse. We need to keep the clubs going. And whatever people thought of the guests and R/R crowds were much larger cos they rode on there preferred race night 

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Moving forward Speedway has lost its identity with the set race nights also due to  lack of fixtures . People like continuity and were some clubs ride at home one week and there next home fixture is in 3 weeks is not good enough,people especially families will find something else to do .

I think the lack of regular fixtures is HUGELY important. Currently, each Premiership team has around 15 home meetings scheduled each season (+ two or three more if you happen to make the playoffs or KOC).

It's no surprise, therefore, that riders want/need to double up/down. And no surprise that fans give up when there's nothing regular any more, no weekly habit to get into.

I mean, if you've got a shop, but you only open for one night every two or three weeks from April to September, can you really expect to stand a chance of making much money?

Forty years ago you'd have 35 home meetings a year, 21 heats each meeting (13 for the match + 8 second half), meaning a dedicated fan could see 735 races a year at their local track.

Nowadays with 15 home meetings and 15 heats per meeting, that's a total of only 225 races a year. Massive difference.

In terms of giving speedway fans what they want, surely at the top of the list is the opportunity to regularly see some actual racing?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Thats what i heard to. They asked to run saturday but BSPA refused. Why refuse. We need to keep the clubs going. And whatever people thought of the guests and R/R crowds were much larger cos they rode on there preferred race night 

Good last point

Can't see why there should be a problem with allowing Rye House to finish the season with meetings on Saturday's if that is what's required to keep them going. Only Berwick race regularly then in the Championship and there are very few GP riders here so it shouldn't be hard to schedule the remaining fixtures so that full teams are riding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ONE league (combined PL/CL) momentum is gathering strength ... no 'star' names which to many will be viewed as a watered down product.

Agree and the league could be just as good and a feeder for European leagues for any rider that wants to join them but GB would have to come first.  Cut the costs and the entry prices and the fans may come back.  The biggest issue is how do you stop the likes of the bspa continually screwing the sport up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

The only thing is that if they let rye house do it then what's stopping belle vue and the like asking for Friday's back 

Also it has a knock on effect to a visiting team if visiting riders are unavailable on a Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Yes and poor old Bill Barker had it all stolen from his house didn’t he !!

Yes he did,  poor Bloke... There are a lot of crocks about . :D

I seem to recall the event where cash was taking from the Boot of a car at Lynn, Involved Cyril Cranes car.   I hope the poor guy was insured.

We'll get into a situation where Rye House moves to a Saturday but the away clubs refuse to reschedule the fixtures. Same if Belle Vue go Friday's, clubs will refuse to move their original dates.

With Denmark, Poland and SEC, GP practice running Friday's, Poland, SEC, SGP Saturday's a change to the calendar now is pretty much a no go.

50 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

They let Swindon stay on Thursdays, so I don't see what the problem is. If belle vue wanted to go back to Friday's, would they let the aces fold.

21 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Agree and the league could be just as good and a feeder for European leagues for any rider that wants to join them but GB would have to come first.  Cut the costs and the entry prices and the fans may come back.  The biggest issue is how do you stop the likes of the bspa continually screwing the sport up.

You only need to look at the current Lakeside team to prove what can be done.

They have a decent couple of H/L in Morris and Lawson - good middle order riders such as young Ellis and not so young but not old Newman - Good lower order in young Zach - Good N/L rider with experience in Morley and and a young improving N/L rider who didnt come into the sport so young in Bowtell who is improving with racing.

Its the kind of thing I have been advocating taking combining both leagues into one, and then combining the riders from Prem/Champ and N/L.

This way we get to see the best of all 3 Worlds. Can't believe that those with a willing to do it can't come up with something to make it work, otherwise i fear for our Sport at top level.

Lakeside from a media perspective have also shown how it can be done as get daily twitter reports as well as race clips etc daily to keep all in the loop. They also do plenty for young fans which is also well recorded and shown.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

They let Swindon stay on Thursdays, so I don't see what the problem is. If belle vue wanted to go back to Friday's, would they let the aces fold.

Thursday was the original fixed night agreed with the FIM. It was only changed to Wednesday because of some Championship club failing to agree. They should have stuck to their guns & forced it through. By switching to the Wednesday night, t has caused problems for any club that has Danish riders.

• Like 1