British Speedway Forum

Newcastle V Redcar 3/9/17

Looks like Robert Lambert`s meeting in Poland has been postponed due to rain, re-arranged for this Thursday.

Can we not now use a guest or rider replacement tonight then as he is allowed 24 hours grace 😀😉 Edited by KEITH M

Thought you were allowed 24 hours grace to get back from a world championship meeting

Up to Robert and the ref to allow him to be included in the line up I reckon. Wonder what time it was called off, and it there is enough time for him to make it. After all the waffle and sub plots wasted on this thread, it would be great to hear what those posters make of Robert managing to get back and ride tonight. Here's hoping. :D

Up to Robert and the ref to allow him to be included in the line up I reckon. Wonder what time it was called off, and it there is enough time for him to make it. After all the waffle and sub plots wasted on this thread, it would be great to hear what those posters make of Robert managing to get back and ride tonight. Here's hoping. :D

Looks like it was called off around lunchtime, our time, I would guess it would be just about impossible for Lambert to make it to Newcastle in that time.

https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/zuzel/708765/w-lublinie-przegrali-z-pogoda-spotkanie-przelozone-na-czwartek

Thought you were allowed 24 hours grace to get back from a world championship meeting and he hasn't rode in Poland 😀

Peterborough have a facility for Holder for that circumstance so now that Lambert wont be riding in Poland there should be a facility for Lambert too...
  • Like 1

Thought you were allowed 24 hours grace to get back from a world championship meeting and he hasn't rode in Poland

Would have thought he would have been allowed to ride if he made it back. As far as a guest would depend on the interpretation of the called off meeting counting or not. Noticed Scott Nichols is riding for Holder at Peterborough today as Holder rode in The under 21's last night but I assume was not committed to a Polish meeting today so that would allow a guest under the 24 hour rule. However Ellis Perks is riding tonight and he rode in the under 21's. Tero Arnio was originally booked as a guest for him but as Ellis rode on borrowed bikes over there he is flying back to make the meeting tonight. Gets complicated does it not

Edited by Sly Fox

To be fair it's difficult to argue against that.

The one point may be whether the denial of facility is for riding elsewhere or the intention to ride elsewhere when the teams are declared

I would assume as Newcastle have named their team without Lambert then they wouldn't be able to then include him, but you never know!

On the issue of a rider missing a league meeting to ride elsewhere I don't see there is any problem with a team doing this if they wish to it just means they are understrength and have to justify actions to their fans. To compare this situation to Peterborough is totally wrong Panthers went against a direct BSPA ruling and then decided to virtually brag about the compensation they received to do it.

• Like 1

I would assume as Newcastle have named their team without Lambert then they wouldn't be able to then include him, but you never know!

On the issue of a rider missing a league meeting to ride elsewhere I don't see there is any problem with a team doing this if they wish to it just means they are understrength and have to justify actions to their fans. To compare this situation to Peterborough is totally wrong Panthers went against a direct BSPA ruling and then decided to virtually brag about the compensation they received to do it.

Nothing has actually been mentioned about what any form of compensation was offered other than it could be a good deal for Peterborough speedway , so I don't see where they were bragging about it , loads of rumours have been put on this site but nothing as been stated about what actual incentive was involved .

Was thinking of making a rare trip to Brough tonight but having seen the team I'll give it a miss. Whatever the rights and wrongs it is a joke having a young lad who has ridden only a handful of matches at National League level, riding at number 1. It's not fair on the lad and particularly unfair on the paying public who are being short changed yet again.

I have been watching the Diamonds since the late 80's and this is definitely the worst state I can recall the sport being in. I have watched the Elite League decline year on year but the PL (or whatever it's called now) has generally been a solid product with a good variety of teams across England, Scotland and sometimes Wales and dedicated riders who were either established at that level or were exciting youngsters on their way up.

Now the PL/Championship is in as just as bad - possibly even worse - state than the former EL was/is. We have too few teams and no variety and doubling up is killing the league with teams turning up with endless guests and facilities. 7 v 7 and no guests is an increasingly rare event. As a result teams have no identity anymore. Throw in the dismal state of many of the tracks, the ageing stadia and paltry facilities and it's no wonder crowds are at an all time low.

I seriously don't know if speedway has a future in this country and honestly believe we are not far from it becoming an amateur sport at best. Sad to see.

Edited by NJC71
  • Like 2

Nothing has actually been mentioned about what any form of compensation was offered other than it could be a good deal for Peterborough speedway , so I don't see where they were bragging about it , loads of rumours have been put on this site but nothing as been stated about what actual incentive was involved .

As you say nothing has been confirmed about what the incentive was, however it was provided on the proviso that Holder was released, therefore it can be deemed as compensation. In my opinion the statement put out was highlighting that it was a good deal for Peterborough speedway and it read to me that the management were congratulating themselves on the deal achieved which, again in my opinion, is bragging about it!

Was thinking of making a rare trip to Brough tonight but having seen the team I'll give it a miss. Whatever the rights and wrongs it is a joke having a young lad who has ridden only a handful of matches at National League level, riding at number 1. It's not fair on the lad and particularly unfair on the paying public who are being short changed yet again.

I have been watching the Diamonds since the late 80's and this is definitely the worst state I can recall the sport being in. I have watched the Elite League decline year on year but the PL (or whatever it's called now) has generally been a solid product with a good variety of teams across England, Scotland and sometimes Wales and dedicated riders who were either established at that level or were exciting youngsters on their way up.

Now the PL/Championship is in as just as bad - possibly even worse - state than the former EL was/is. We have too few teams and no variety and doubling up is killing the league with teams turning up with endless guests and facilities. 7 v 7 and no guests is an increasingly rare event. As a result teams have no identity anymore. Throw in the dismal state of many of the tracks, the ageing stadia and paltry facilities and it's no wonder crowds are at an all time low.

I seriously don't know if speedway has a future in this country and honestly believe we are not far from it becoming an amateur sport at best. Sad to see.

Unfortunately very few clubs are blessed with millionaire owners who can get stadiums up to scratch, and are in the hands of landlords who just see speedway as a way of paying their running costs each year thru the rent we pay, so where it's everyones choice how they spend there money each Sunday night it'll be those fans staying away who at the end of the day that will close teams down. Robert is missing one match due to other commitments, it's something they, the rule makers, need to look at in the winter but at the moment it is what it is.

What direct BSPA ruling did Panthers go against.

A Referee told me you can change your team up to 1.5 hours prior to the match starting.

So if the rider missing is foreign, Newcastle would have got a facility according to the rules. Yet because he's British then Newcastle get no facility.

What an effing joke. And they wonder why the sport is on its arse. Robert HAS to ride in Poland but no facility is allowed. Had he been German, French, Swedish etc then it would be claimed his FMN had recalled him in line with the international fixture list and a guest would be allowed.

Only in British Speedway can you punish British riders and clubs that sign British riders