British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

I can't agree that "good tracks produce boring speedway"  if you went to any meeting @ Somerset during the 2017 season & likewise Belle Vue (from what I did see) you would have seen brilliant speedway. It's not good when riders crash - only due track POOR conditions! this is costly on machinery & even worst  riders injuries. 

In some respects safety is another reason for lacking entertainment. 

Elbow to elbow, wheel to wheel racing, rider's going through fences and punch up's was all part of the entertainment. 

Racing hasn't gotten better or worse than years gone by just that what was once a very very dangerous sport is now just a sport with risk

18 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I can't agree that "good tracks produce boring speedway"  if you went to any meeting @ Somerset during the 2017 season & likewise Belle Vue (from what I did see) you would have seen brilliant speedway. It's not good when riders crash - only due track POOR conditions! this is costly on machinery & even worst  riders injuries. 

It would be an exaggeration to say that every meeting at Belle Vue in 2017 had brilliant speedway.  It would, however, be true say that some meetings most certainly did and that you would be more likely to see brilliant speedway there than just about anywhere else.

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Racing hasn't gotten better or worse than years gone by

Its a myth to suggest that the racing was better 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago. It wasn't, but nor was it worse.

My Dad went to Wimbledon in the fifties - Boy Wonder Ronnie Moore and all - and when I said I was going he said 'first out of the gate always wins'.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

IIts a myth to suggest that the racing was better 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago. It wasn't, but nor was it worse.

My Dad went to Wimbledon in the fifties - Boy Wonder Ronnie Moore and all - and when I said I was going he said 'first out of the gate always wins'.

I can understand your Dads comments and in most cases he was correct to say Wimbledon was a Gater's paradise.    But Wimbledon was a special place.  It was the first time I watched Speedway from inside .  It was always prepared for the occasion where the atmosphere was intense and the excitement was never far away.  Must admit i never rated it as one of my favourite tracks but always enjoyed my many visits.... 

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I can understand your Dads comments and in most cases he was correct to say Wimbledon was a Gater's paradise.    But Wimbledon was a special place.  It was the first time I watched Speedway from inside .  It was always prepared for the occasion where the atmosphere was intense and the excitement was never far away.  Must admit i never rated it as one of my favourite tracks but always enjoyed my many visits.... 

Didn't mean it was so much a gaters paradise as the quality of the racing really hasn't changed much since the 1950's. Fantastic stadium and dreadful that it is about to be demolished.

Got to agree racing wasn't that much better years ago,although some people seem to think it was.The only thing that has changed is the size of the crowd so therefore the atmosphere at speedway now is pretty much non existant.If you get a great atmosphere it doesn't seem to matter to much how good the racing is the crowd will be pulled along with it.

To me the Cardiff GP isn't great racing,but the atmosphere is second to none and this is what makes it a great night.

So it's the enthusiasm of the people who go to watch, this is what Poland has had in abundance for years and what many speedway fans of today had when they were young, it goes hand in hand ..... I've said before that the Polish promoters do nothing special on race night at all but the fans who go are totally up for supporting their team, they make the atmosphere and enjoy their night out ....

On the other hand great racing makes a good atmosphere, when you're watching an exciting race you can't help but cheer, whoop or boo lol

16 hours ago, mrss said:

If riders like Thj ,Auty, and Palm Toft were passing people regularly the opposition must have been poor. I attended the last double header meeting and the racing was dreadful. I will be on the first bend supporting the Stars again next season, but if the racing is poor again I will stop going.

So you don't go to support your team, you go to see good racing only?  Did you go into the press conferences after the meetings last year?  I think if the fans have closer contact with the riders they will support the team more rather than going just for the racing, what do you think?

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

So you don't go to support your team, you go to see good racing only?  Did you go into the press conferences after the meetings last year?  I think if the fans have closer contact with the riders they will support the team more rather than going just for the racing, what do you think?

I have supported the Stars all my life and will continue to do so. But the last two seasons the racing has been poor. The Home meeting against Poole killed my enthusiasm and I vowed not to go again until Holder was gone. No ,I didn't go to any press conferences as I was bored most weeks and couldn't wait to get away. It's not the fans that need to be closer to the riders, it's the riders that need to get closer to the fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrss said:

. It's not the fans that need to be closer to the riders, it's the riders that need to get closer to the fans. 

Never a truer word spoken. At the end of the day a rider can always find somewhere to compete against others with the same mindset, even if it's just some waste ground. What they need to realise is that if they want to be paid for doing what they enjoy they need to treat paying customers with respect (and not just by posting on social media) and not as an inconvenience, which is how some come across. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, g13webb said:

10 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Never a truer word spoken. At the end of the day a rider can always find somewhere to compete against others with the same mindset, even if it's just some waste ground. What they need to realise is that if they want to be paid for doing what they enjoy they need to treat paying customers with respect (and not just by posting on social media) and not as an inconvenience, which is how some come across. 

The first time i went to Plough Lane i thought wow!!! what a place  i was in awe of the stadium you could watch the racing in comfort.The track was always prepared well so the racing was always decent was never a fan of little tracks but i did like Wimbledon.I never tired of going to Wimbledon or Hackney both were a great night out and i can honestly say i didnt see many duff meeting's at either venue.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

I admire your tunnel vision where the team comes before all else. but in reality it has to be a two way thing.   Come to think about it I should say a three way thing..    The Fans, The Rider and the Promoters.   all supporting one another.    It's when one takes the other for granted does problems start to appear.   Having witness the Stars for  many years,  I've seen many Promoters and umpteen riders and teams and have lost count of the times it has gone  pear shape.  

Of the three, the fans are the easiest to satisfy. All they want is VFM and excitement from the Promoter, and for the Riders to have a real go.    Winning is not that important, as long as they each apply them selves to the cause.   Next is the Riders, they want to be appreciated by the fans and the promotions  and expect a track good enough and safe enough to race on.   Last but not least has to be the Promoter. He has to have a Workable/Viable  business that is sustainable.   He has to ensure the race track is in top condition enabling the riders to entertain the fans,   he has to ensure the fans are happy with what they see so they will return the next time.   

Looking back at recent years,  there has been a lot of cases where all three have been  guilty of taken others granted, and that will always cause problems.    I feel all three can learn from the closeness of the others,  and working together is the best way to achieve success.       Its not just about the team,   or the Riders,  the Fans  nor the promoter,    its about all of them....  Each as important as the other....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Star Lady said:

The press conferences  are a good way to hear what the riders have to say and have a word with them if you want to.  The walk back from the start is always a good way for communication between the fans and riders, quite a few of the clubs do this sort of thing now.

25 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I admire your tunnel vision where the team comes before all else. but in reality it has to be a two way thing.   Come to think about it I should say a three way thing..    The Fans, The Rider and the Promoters.   all supporting one another.    It's when one takes the other for granted does problems start to appear.   Having witness the Stars for  many years,  I've seen many Promoters and umpteen riders and teams and have lost count of the times it has gone  pear shape.  

Of the three, the fans are the easiest to satisfy. All they want is VFM and excitement from the Promoter, and for the Riders to have a real go.    Winning is not that important, as long as they each apply them selves to the cause.   Next is the Riders, they want to be appreciated by the fans and the promotions  and expect a track good enough and safe enough to race on.   Last but not least has to be the Promoter. He has to have a Workable/Viable  business that is sustainable.   He has to ensure the race track is in top condition enabling the riders to entertain the fans,   he has to ensure the fans are happy with what they see so they will return the next time.   

Looking back at recent years,  there has been a lot of cases where all three have been  guilty of taken others granted, and that will always cause problems.    I feel all three can learn from the closeness of the others,  and working together is the best way to achieve success.       Its not just about the team,   or the Riders,  the Fans  nor the promoter,    its about all of them....  Each as important as the other....

I don't have tunnel vision, that's why I helped start the Supporters Club, I had my ideas about giving the supporters more on race nights and I think we have delivered with pit walks, watching from the centre, having photos with riders and presenting Rider of the Night.  We have an extra experience for 2018 which I hope our members will enjoy :)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

I don't have tunnel vision, that's why I helped start the Supporters Club, I had my ideas about giving the supporters more on race nights and I think we have delivered with pit walks, watching from the centre, having photos with riders and presenting Rider of the Night.  We have an extra experience for 2018 which I hope our members will enjoy :)

Aren't you the one that fancies Chris Holder?

1 hour ago, Trees said:

The press conferences  are a good way to hear what the riders have to say and have a word with them if you want to.  The walk back from the start is always a good way for communication between the fans and riders, quite a few of the clubs do this sort of thing now.

The press conference great idea love it if racing started 7-30 prompt I’d definitely be there but I’m sure as eggs are eggs ain’t going to a press conference at gone 10pm when I’ve to be up early for work the next morning I’ve no interest in that what so ever . So get the racing started at 7-30 show a bit of urgency to keep the meeting moving rather than endless laps with the tractor and more would attend meetings and attend press conference it’s thats simple . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trees said:

You most definitely do have tunnel vision - I admire your dedication to the club I cannot fault you on that but just sometime even you must leave the stadium and doubt your dedication.to the club . 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Haza said:

You most definitely do have tunnel vision - I admire your dedication to the club I cannot fault you on that but just sometime even you must leave the stadium and doubt your dedication.to the club . 

Of course I do, I'm only human lol BUT I try to always remain as positive as I can. I have loved speedway racing for 40 years, I admire the guys who race, who put their life and limb on the line for their job! Only love, sex and rock n roll is better than a great speedway race :D

If only riders were admired, loved and revered as they used to be in the UK, as they currently are in Poland. Instead some of us tend to take them and their talent for speedway for granted, moan and groan, expect more, question and swear about them. There must be some middle ground.  

Of course we want VFM but we must go to speedway looking forward to the racing, looking forward to cheering our team onto a win, the Polish people do, there is no extra entertainment, no interviews even, it's all about supporting their team, chanting, cheering, flag waving, all the simple things that some of us have forgotten it seems to me.  It's odd how our personal change when we take the trip over to Cardiff or the SWC comes to town, we're totally up for supporting our riders and team at these comps. 

I'm positive about the new season, let's see what's in store, let's start off positive, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!