British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

36 minutes ago, DWP said:

Crash in UK, injured and can’t ride Poland. Huge loss of income and probably having to pay back proportion of sign on fee. 

Is that the norm? I'm obviously very naive but for clubs to expect riders to pay back part of a sign on fee when injured is morally wrong. 

4 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Would be very stupid to turn down a 1 year deal down, even if the money is poor. Except offer then immediately start making plans for 2019 and other options, an internal channel from BSPA or speak to other broadcasters. Get the rules sorted early and get out there and sell the product, don't get to next November and do nothing and be in the same boat which is the norm with people running UK speedway. Things don't just fall into your lap you have to go and work for it!

Get all clubs to put on a real show come to agreement for both sides where stadiums are packed, make the product look good and then use that to sell to other broadcasters. Use BT and then somehow get a bidding war if you can get a second company interested in the product. 

To make a decision without knowing the conditions of a deal is foolhardy.     Obviously the sport needs TV,  but if they are asking for certain conditions that cant be met then the BSPA has to say NO.

Question:  If both the Premiership and the Championship are of similar strength, why are the costs so different ? ,  If the costs are so different and with the top riders being  programed/ Priced out of our league , why didn't the BSPA decide on one league only, and start building a new beginning?    

5 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Is that the norm? I'm obviously very naive but for clubs to expect riders to pay back part of a sign on fee when injured is morally wrong. 

Yep - Poles will fine you for wearing the wrong shirt. They can be ruthless. 

16 minutes ago, semion said:

How do you get to a percentage of 98%?

15 minutes ago, DWP said:

Been told how many made losses so did calculation 

4 minutes ago, DWP said:

Ok it was a quick calculation. Heard only 3 didn’t loose money 

3 would be 83% made a loss and not 98%

12 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Put yourself in their shoes. You sign a rider, agree a large sign on fee paid 1st February. Your rider injures himself first week of April whilst riding outside Poland and is out for 2 months. Wouldn’t you want your money back. 

3 minutes ago, DWP said:

Put yourself in their shoes. You sign a rider, agree a large sign on fee paid 1st February. Your rider injures himself first week of April whilst riding outside Poland and is out for 2 months. Wouldn’t you want your money back. 

I'm obviously more compassionate than the Poles. I don't believe in kicking someone when they are down. Everyone knows the sport is risky, seems the Poles want the riders to take ALL the risk.

I think we now have a generation of men in their 20's, 30's and 40's (maybe more) who are obsessed by betting on sport, who probably find it strange that speedway meetings don't allow on-course betting. Look at who sponsors a lot of sport nowadays......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I'm obviously more compassionate than the Poles. I don't believe in kicking someone when they are down. Everyone knows the sport is risky, seems the Poles want the riders to take ALL the risk.

Understand your feelings. But I can also understand the Poles. Unlike the UK, owners of most Polish speedway clubs have/do put a lot of money into their Club/investment. They would rather their riders only ride in Poland. But as it is at moment they can’t do that. But they naturally want to protect their investment in riders. 

On 12/13/2017 at 4:40 PM, Hamish McRaker said:

I think we now have a generation of men in their 20's, 30's and 40's (maybe more) who are obsessed by betting on sport, who probably find it strange that speedway meetings don't allow on-course betting. Look at who sponsors a lot of sport nowadays......

Fantastic comment and I think this would be a massive draw.

In 2017, I went to a number of meetings, and in 4 of these, I took car loads of friends who’d never been. All bar one of these questioned me if they could place a bet, and seemed genuinely annoyed they couldn’t and impacted on their experience. One of these was at Ipswich where they could see a betting shop, but light off and nobody home!

Having spoken to people within the industry, I understand it’s incredibly difficult for the bookmaker as it’s viewed as high risk minority sport - effectively meaning they feel they’d stand to lose more than they’d win!

They told me, the answer would be for them to have high volume of stakes on the GP, and particularly ‘home’ riders ie riders that race in the U.K. and this would encourage them to open up more markets, put kiosks in at clubs etc.

Someone with some good business acumen could Close a deal with a bookmaker I’m sure ...

20 minutes ago, AlexBrady said:

Fantastic comment and I think this would be a massive draw.

In 2017, I went to a number of meetings, and in 4 of these, I took car loads of friends who’d never been. All bar one of these questioned me if they could place a bet, and seemed genuinely annoyed they couldn’t and impacted on their experience. One of these was at Ipswich where they could see a betting shop, but light off and nobody home!

Having spoken to people within the industry, I understand it’s incredibly difficult for the bookmaker as it’s viewed as high risk minority sport - effectively meaning they feel they’d stand to lose more than they’d win!

They told me, the answer would be for them to have high volume of stakes on the GP, and particularly ‘home’ riders ie riders that race in the U.K. and this would encourage them to open up more markets, put kiosks in at clubs etc.

Someone with some good business acumen could Close a deal with a bookmaker I’m sure ...

21 minutes ago, ray c said:

I wonder if you will hear any rider news before then ?

The press release says rider news will be released throughout January with the final two announced at the forum.

Given all the fuss about Lynn press releases I do wonder sometimes why they bother as it seems folk don't read them:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1