British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

I'm like GRW ( OMG) Saturday night at Lynn was never to be missed. I well remember going to watch the footie at Norwich, leaping off of that bus on the return journey and jumping on the Speedway bus to Lynn........My hero back in the day was Barry Crowson. No idea why !

Now Speedway at Lynn, I can take it or leave it... Slightest sign of rain, makes my mind up straight away. The Number of times I have been to Lynn over the past couple of seasons, and thought to myself afterwards, why on earth did I bother. I will sure give it a look next season to see if things have improved. Ok I'm a masochist, but I still live in hope if not expectation.

Edited by semion

I'm like GRW ( OMG) Saturday night at Lynn was never to be missed. I well remember going to watch the footie at Norwich, leaping off of that bus on the return journey and jumping on the Speedway bus to Lynn........My hero back in the day was Barry Crowson. No idea why !

Now Speedway at Lynn, I can take it or leave it... Slightest sign of rain, makes my mind up straight away. The Number of times I have been to Lynn over the past couple of seasons, and thought to myself afterwards, why on earth did I bother. I will sure give it a look next season to see if things have improved. Ok I'm a masochist, but I still live in hope if not expectation.

same here regarding rain the weather needs to be dry and settled.

same here regarding rain the weather needs to be dry and settled.

I contacted the AFA several months ago by email, to ask if they still did the texting service which informed fans if a match was postponed or rained off. I was led to believe by somebody on this forum, they still did it? I live south of Norwich, so its 100 mile round trip for me (I must be mad) and I don't want to arrive in Lynn to find we have a rain/wind/electrical failure postponement.

Did I get a reply.....Did I hell!

I contacted the AFA several months ago by email, to ask if they still did the texting service which informed fans if a match was postponed or rained off. I was led to believe by somebody on this forum, they still did it? I live south of Norwich, so its 100 mile round trip for me (I must be mad) and I don't want to arrive in Lynn to find we have a rain/wind/electrical failure postponement.

They are all very busy. Planning the "New Dawn' of UK speedway for 2018. To make things simpler, the new Direct To Your Brain Service will tell all fans IF the meeting is on. With a live count down from 6 hrs before the Tapes Up time. All part of the planned Stay In Touch With Supporters service.

• Like 1

I'm Now out in North Norfolk, so if there's doubt then I don't even consider it. Seen one too many of Buster's 'Its On' meetings only to turn up to finding him blading the track, meeting of course starts late and ends up with little to no racing. No Thanks.

• Like 1

My hero back in the day was Barry Crowson. No idea why !

Mine too! A fast gater, lovely smooth style and top bloke. I have vague memories of him beating Ivan Mauger around Saddlebow Road, and Mauger threw a right strop getting beaten by such a "lowly" rider.

Bumped in to Barry at the World Speedway Riders dinner at Norwich in 2016, he lives locally and has lost all that lovely long hair he had in the 70's. We had a nice chat, and I found, like myself, he is a keen caravanner and spends much of the year touring around. I have fond memories of his time at Lynn, and it was nice to see him again.

I'm Now out in North Norfolk, so if there's doubt then I don't even consider it. Seen one too many of Buster's 'Its On' meetings only to turn up to finding him blading the track, meeting of course starts late and ends up with little to no racing. No Thanks.

When did you come out then ?

OMG you old farts, did you never hear of sharing lifts, there used to be 5 of us sharing a lift so we only drove every 5 weeks, perfect! Perhaps we could organise something through KLSSC?

Now I travel on my own so I get there early, PAY to get in (included that for the flipping doubters!) and set up the KLSSC table and do my bit ....

Of course the cost of diesel (answer, get a car that does 60 to the gallon haha, my fiesta does) does make one question travelling on a dodgy weather night, promoters are sometimes damned if they do and damned if they don't make early calls in these cases .....

• Like 1

I do car share but pick a couple up on the way through to Lynn cos the gits are too lazy to drive. Trouble is if it gets called off it's always my bloody fault.!!!

Oi Trees I may be old but I'm in total control any farts, well mostly 😂

Edited by semion

well they definitely do still do the text service as I still receive them .

I might be an old fart but I think you are the same age as me Trees. If not you are close. It would be hard to car share where I live as there is only me and my son who go to speedway.

Pick others up on the way maybe? Would you seriously be interested in car sharing, we seriously should try to set something up if people are interested??

well they definitely do still do the text service as I still receive them .

I will find out about this ....

I did 73 at 22 tracks - guess that makes me a part timer.

I think when Redcar named their team for Sheffield the season reached its low point.

Definitely part time :o:D;)

My low point was when Lakeside got a 3 point reduction in Paul Hurry's average.

I can very much see your point, but that team was largely forced upon Redcar by circumstances. The Hurry average reduction was an appalling example of the arbitrary, vicious and uncontrolled corruption at the heart of our sport, motivated by jealousy, spite and self interest.

I was absolutely delighted that Lakeside (and Plymouth) won nothing and that worthy teams like Belle Vue, Eastbourne and Mildenhall took the silverware.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

The principle of car share is a good idea. The problems start when things go wrong . One of my friends used to give his uncle a lift to work. They were involved in a road traffic accident and the uncle sued him.

Blimey,that was good of him..Not giving someone a lift in case they sue you.Whatever next.I suppose it's the way of the world these days. :o Blames and claims and all that.

OMG you old farts, did you never hear of sharing lifts, there used to be 5 of us sharing a lift so we only drove every 5 weeks, perfect! Perhaps we could organise something through KLSSC?

Now I travel on my own so I get there early, PAY to get in (included that for the flipping doubters!) and set up the KLSSC table and do my bit ....

Of course the cost of diesel (answer, get a car that does 60 to the gallon haha, my fiesta does) does make one question travelling on a dodgy weather night, promoters are sometimes damned if they do and damned if they don't make early calls in these cases .....

you’d better get used to old farts as you call them with no effort given to attract the younger generation along to clubs OAPs will be the majority before too long .