British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

As good as Iversen has been for the Stars in seasons gone by, he isn't the rider he was. And unless the track gets better he won't get the big points everyone expects.

he won’t do no worse than what we started the 2017 season with at no1 or what we ended the season with without a no 1.

As good as Iversen has been for the Stars in seasons gone by, he isn't the rider he was. And unless the track gets better he won't get the big points everyone expects.

And if there is no tv agreement to show meetings where will the money come from to pay him anyway, or any of the top riders.

• Like 1

And if there is no tv agreement to show meetings where will the money come from to pay him anyway, or any of the top riders.

Surely he will put a few on the gate, sponsorship could cover some cost and potentially you offer him less money than he was on a couple of seasons back? Just like any business, it can be worth having someone who costs more if they help grow your revenue, but you dont pay them more than you can afford taking that into account.

Each year that comes round I always have high hopes of a decent side. During each of our years back in the Elite, I thought this could be the one when all our dreams came true. NKI had been prominent in all of those thoughts when we seem to have all the basses covered. One year we were 30 points clear until the gods conspired to declare war on everything we had done. When Points were deducted,and the team savaged by injuries, it throw a life line to other less deserving teams to that precarious title...

So we have moved on from there, and am more grounded in the thoughts of the teams that are assembled. From previous years we have learnt the team at the start of the year means nothing. Riders are dropped like a pin if and when its deemed fit. Loyalty means nothing today and fans bases are pushed aside like confetti, all in the conviction of winning.

Having been brought up to do everything the correct way, I'm not so convinced this 'win at all cost' is the right attitude. I believe it distance more fans than it gains. But what do I know.... With an old head on an even older body, I remember the good times, when a team was selected for the whole season, and there was not a ringer to be seen anywhere...

We have had good teams for ages, it's luck that thwarts us or in the case of last year, sackings and illness (Dale).

I personally think most teams keep loyal to the majority of their riders from year to year, at Lynn riders have to perform really bad for us to lose our rag with them (Bjerre).

Edited by Trees

GRW, have you ever considered that Speedway, today, is really not for you ?

Ah well, yes it is us "dinosaur " fans who do complain about speedway not being what it used to be. But it obviously isn't or the terraces at KLS and elsewhere in UK speedway would be bulging with fans in the 20 - 40 age range. Conspicuous by their absence and all we can see are a number of disgruntled old boys " who know nothing of today" ( in the eyes of some ). All that is left is the remains of the 70s & 80s hordes, giving up their pensions more and more grudgingly to watch very poor VFM racing. The future of UK speedway is not safe in the hands of the BSPA who are dinosaurs themselves.

I doubt if there are many who haven't considered that. I did 74 meetings at 23 tracks last season and, on occasion, I did.

I did 73 at 22 tracks - guess that makes me a part timer.

I think when Redcar named their team for Sheffield the season reached its low point.

Ah well, yes it is us "dinosaur " fans who do complain about speedway not being what it used to be. But it obviously isn't or the terraces at KLS and elsewhere in UK speedway would be bulging with fans in the 20 - 40 age range. Conspicuous by their absence and all we can see are a number of disgruntled old boys " who know nothing of today" ( in the eyes of some ). All that is left is the remains of the 70s & 80s hordes, giving up their pensions more and more grudgingly to watch very poor VFM racing. The future of UK speedway is not safe in the hands of the BSPA who are dinosaurs themselves.

what the powers that be have failed to realise is there are so many other sports out there to spend money on theses other sports have moved with the times speedway sadly hasnt - also the weekly speedway habit has been broken it was more or less speedway at our home track every week from March to October the weeks we have no racing we do other things and other things become a habit .

Speedway is broken in the UK sadly .

GRW, have you ever considered that Speedway, today, is really not for you ?

Yes many times. But to be truthful there isn't much left of the Motorbike circus we all enjoyed back in the heydays of 60's , 70's and 80's.. Speedway was just a small part of the ample meetings we could fulfil our addiction. We had Motorcycle Scrambles on each and every Sunday. from local events to big national meetings held at the many race tracks we had then. Road Racing was also very popular with meetings most weekends. We use to swap and change depending where the meetings were held or how important there were. Speedway was important virtually every Saturday night. Home or away we always went.. It wasn't that the racing was better or faster, but it was more entertaining and relevant. The riders were part of a team and hated to lose. The opposing team was the enemy. Brilliant enthusiasm and atmosphere. the crowds were big and noisy. These nights were a million miles away from what we have now.. But that all we have left.

Moto-Cross Scrambles have all but died, they are nothing compared to the sport they once were. Same with Road Racing, apart from the BSB series, there are a few meetings scattered around the country, but nothing to compare with the locality we once enjoyed.... so speedway is the only alternative open to my life long addiction of bike racing...... Frequenting these meeting like I do, I notice there are many old folk like me, coming to watch live action, but actually, we are all living in the past, hoping we can relive those wonderful times.

I sometimes wonder who will replace us on the terraces when we become too old to attend anymore....

• Like 2

Yes many times. But to be truthful there isn't much left of the Motorbike circus we all enjoyed back in the heydays of 60's , 70's and 80's.. Speedway was just a small part of the ample meetings we could fulfil our addiction. We had Motorcycle Scrambles on each and every Sunday. from local events to big national meetings held at the many race tracks we had then. Road Racing was also very popular with meetings most weekends. We use to swap and change depending where the meetings were held or how important there were. Speedway was important virtually every Saturday night. Home or away we always went.. It wasn't that the racing was better or faster, but it was more entertaining and relevant. The riders were part of a team and hated to lose. The opposing team was the enemy. Brilliant enthusiasm and atmosphere. the crowds were big and noisy. These nights were a million miles away from what we have now.. But that all we have left.

Moto-Cross Scrambles have all but died, they are nothing compared to the sport they once were. Same with Road Racing, apart from the BSB series, there are a few meetings scattered around the country, but nothing to compare with the locality we once enjoyed.... so speedway is the only alternative open to my life long addiction of bike racing...... Frequenting these meeting like I do, I notice there are many old folk like me, coming to watch live action, but actually, we are all living in the past, hoping we can relive those wonderful times.

I sometimes wonder who will replace us on the terraces when we become too old to attend anymore....

while clubs make 0% effort to attract new fans the future is bleak
  • Like 1

I have just turned 60 so just in the old bracket now.

The way I look at it is that speedway will never be like it was in days gone by.But I try to leave speedways problems at the door and just enjoy the racing on the night which thankfully I still can at the NSS.

I look at it that the sport might die but so will I but until which ever comes first I will attend as many Aces/Colts meetings as I can and enjoy it while I still can.

• Like 5