British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

I have nothing against JC . All I am saying is times have changed. Speedway isn't the entertainment that it was years ago. Bikes are to quick, tracks are to slick , and the riders don't care about the fans anymore. The catchment fence around the track at Lynn stopped fans getting near the track so there's no atmosphere anymore.

They sure as hell didn't build or surface the A47 ;)

And I have been blaming them all these years for our crap roads.... My apologies to the ROMANS ... They must have been laid before them then..... :o

Your assessment is far too negative.

Group 1 - what do clubs do to reward loyalty? I don't know about KL, but at Swindon there is nothing. Clubs should be working much harder to reward their diehard fans in order to stop them drifting into group 2. Simple things such as attend five meetings and get a pit tour, attend 10 meetings and get to watch a heat from the centre green, attend 20 meetings and get a meet'n'greet with your favourite rider. All things that cost the club NOTHING, except effort. In turn, use your most loyal and diehard fans to actively promote speedway. Set up some kind of referral scheme where fans can introduce newcomers. Gamify it by having leagues tables of the fans who have introduced the most newbies. Get the fans competing against each other. There are plenty of options in this space.

Group 2 - firstly you need to understand why these fans have been lost. I used to be a regular at Swindon, but I've stopped going mainly because the racing is rubbish. Even the meetings I've watch on TV this year have been poor. In my opinion there are two main reasons for this. Firstly the gap in quality between riders is vast. This started with the draft, but unfortunately has got worse. Secondly, the track at Swindon is very poor. However, these are the problems, what are the solutions? Offer fans some kind of incentive to return. Discount entry, hospitality package or something along those lines. I can't remember receiving an email from Swindon in the last two years, so there is plenty of scope to try and win back these lost supporters.

Group 3 - I don't agree with your assessment of "I still feel that anybody, that was interested in bike racing, would take it upon themselves to locate and watch". I've spoken to several people who actively follow other types of bike racing, but have never been to speedway. This is an easy group to target. However, I think there is an even bigger untapped market among the general public. I used to work for the largest employer in Swindon. Out of 6,000 people I knew four of us who went to speedway. Yet I never once saw a single poster, leaflet let alone a staff discount or other type of promotion in any of our offices to try and attract new fans.

​Now, I appreciate there is a huge difference between getting people through the gates once and them returning on a regular basis, but I feel most clubs lack a strategy to address either.

My views are not meant to be negative, merely based on the reality of this present day, mostly at Kings Lynn. Although through the season I do travel to some away venues, I don't go often enough to pass an accurate assessment of how fans are treated. I do talk with those fans and many have axes to grind. You'll be amazed how many are unhappy with the way the sport has gone..

I like your comments about Groups 1, 2, and 3 and feel there is a million ways this sport could be promoted . I used to own a season ticket for many years , but now there is no point spending out big money to save a few quid, Missing just one meeting and you're on a loser, and that not counting the double headers. We the fans are treated like mugs....

I wish I could turn the clock back when speedway was the place to be, 1000's through the gate, the place was heaving, the racing was always exciting, and the meeting lasted all night. We often lost those tight matches, but it didn't matter. It was roll on to next week.

Now we go home early, and feel robbed of the money it cost.... if it wasn't for the memories we wouldn't have much left...,

• Like 2

So Martin Vaculik confirms he is to race in Britain next season!! The strong rumours are that Kings Lynn are in pole position to sign him rather than the expected Poole??!!

I don't wether to feel pleased or sad. If he is coming he won't be cheap, let's hope the risk pays off.

I don't wether to feel pleased or sad. If he is coming he won't be cheap, let's hope the risk pays off.

As a seasoned SGP rider I would imagine he ought be given a 9 average, but what's the betting he'll be given something stupid like a 6 or probably 7 .

That seems to be the aim of most manager's, getting a ringer on a low average, and forgetting all the damage this practice does... :t:

As a seasoned SGP rider I would imagine he ought be given a 9 average, but what's the betting he'll be given something stupid like a 6 or probably 7 .

That seems to be the aim of most manager's, getting a ringer on a low average, and forgetting all the damage this practice does... :t:

If Vaculik is heading Lynn's way and if it will be on a 9,then i'd rather NKI for the same money.Vaculik could end up a 7/8 point rider in his first season,and potenitally an expensive one at that..

Maybe Lynn will be going all out and getting both

No chance of that unless a big sponsor is found.Even if the money was there it would be wasting it imho....I don't think Vaculik would be a great number one either,and the most expensive 7/8 point rider in the league maybe..

Edited by Bald Bloke

No chance of that unless a big sponsor is found.Even if the money was there it would be wasting it imho....I don't think Vaculik would be a great number one either,and the most expensive 7/8 point rider in the league maybe..

Blimey, A GP rider apparently heading for British racing next season and the only reactions posted are negative ones (and not only by you bald bloke). Whoever he does race for, the promoter deserves credit for not giving up on trying to attempt the best riders possible. That said, other promoters do need to follow suit and need to do so in a manner that is affordable to their club.

• Like 3

Blimey, A GP rider apparently heading for British racing next season and the only reactions posted are negative ones (and not only by you bald bloke). Whoever he does race for, the promoter deserves credit for not giving up on trying to attempt the best riders possible. That said, other promoters do need to follow suit and need to do so in a manner that is affordable to their club.

They can't follow suit.Not enough fans to pay much more than half of the teams wages without sponsors is the problem.Better for teams to cut costs(riders wage bill) than to go all guns blazing and go bust.

Halifaxtiger wrote " There is a club in speedway which has increased its gates four fold on the previous promotion and, aside from one meeting, increased attendances on every single occasion in 2017 when compared with 2016 despite the fact that it finished bottom of its league. According to its promoter, it broke even this year.

It remains my opinion (and I am anything but alone) that that is the case because of the huge amount of effort it puts into attracting new fans and then ensuring that it gives them what they want and treats each one as a highly valued customer."

And they went back to basics to do their marketing which the BSPA and many individual clubs can't be bothered to do. Or can't find the volunteers to do it for them. Relying on Twitter and Facebook as your free social media as THE way to put the sport in front of new potential supporters will not work on it;s own, even though it obviously has it's place. You have to get out there and build up interest in your catchment area.

Precisely, but not just with their marketing.

Thing is what they have done is neither rocket science nor costly. Its simply attracting people in the first place and giving them a good time so they come back.

Little wonder they have been nominated for WSRA Community Club of the year and I'll be surprised if they don't win.

Your assessment is far too negative.

Group 1 - what do clubs do to reward loyalty? I don't know about KL, but at Swindon there is nothing. Clubs should be working much harder to reward their diehard fans in order to stop them drifting into group 2. Simple things such as attend five meetings and get a pit tour, attend 10 meetings and get to watch a heat from the centre green, attend 20 meetings and get a meet'n'greet with your favourite rider. All things that cost the club NOTHING, except effort. In turn, use your most loyal and diehard fans to actively promote speedway. Set up some kind of referral scheme where fans can introduce newcomers. Gamify it by having leagues tables of the fans who have introduced the most newbies. Get the fans competing against each other. There are plenty of options in this space.

Group 2 - firstly you need to understand why these fans have been lost. I used to be a regular at Swindon, but I've stopped going mainly because the racing is rubbish. Even the meetings I've watch on TV this year have been poor. In my opinion there are two main reasons for this. Firstly the gap in quality between riders is vast. This started with the draft, but unfortunately has got worse. Secondly, the track at Swindon is very poor. However, these are the problems, what are the solutions? Offer fans some kind of incentive to return. Discount entry, hospitality package or something along those lines. I can't remember receiving an email from Swindon in the last two years, so there is plenty of scope to try and win back these lost supporters.

Group 3 - I don't agree with your assessment of "I still feel that anybody, that was interested in bike racing, would take it upon themselves to locate and watch". I've spoken to several people who actively follow other types of bike racing, but have never been to speedway. This is an easy group to target. However, I think there is an even bigger untapped market among the general public. I used to work for the largest employer in Swindon. Out of 6,000 people I knew four of us who went to speedway. Yet I never once saw a single poster, leaflet let alone a staff discount or other type of promotion in any of our offices to try and attract new fans.

​Now, I appreciate there is a huge difference between getting people through the gates once and them returning on a regular basis, but I feel most clubs lack a strategy to address either.

Aside from the fact that there has always been a gulf between riders - I can recall Alan Mogridge in races with Dave Jessup and Bruce Penhall - you are spot on :approve:

When did I say I had the winning formula?

I've told you categorically, 100%, without even a shadow of a doubt that implement the proposal he put forward of no riders above a 6.00 average from last years top flight and you will have a number of clubs close, clubs that have been traditionally very stable.

It won't happen anyway, even the BSPA aren't stupid enough to go with such a nonsensical idea.

I must admit I thought that was daft. Use a points limit and maybe a salary cap but build how you want.

Why do people keep banging on about the the time that JC was at the AFA. He doesn't work there anymore so it's time to move on.

Because maybe he had the right ideas that could be repeated now ? I certainly believe - along with others - that the promotion of the Super 7 events was better than anything I have seen since.

And therein lies the real point about those who advocate the strengthening of teams and attracting top riders.

It is, without a doubt, a massive financial risk and its very easy to propose such a strategy on the pages of this forum with other people's money, because one thing is certain : those who suggest it won't put a single penny of their own in.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Aside from the fact that there has always been a gulf between riders - I can recall Alan Mogridge in races with Dave Jessup and Bruce Penhall - you are spot on .

Totally agree - those too couldnt even hold a candle to Moggo! 😜

The Vaculik rumours don't seem to have come from any kind of reliable source and seem very pie in the sky to me. Can't see him ending up anywhere other than on the south coast, can't believe he would get a better deal anywhere else.

Would love to see a spearhead of Puk and Robert. MPT, Kerr and Rose will hopefully come into the reckoning too. Huckenbeck and Porsing flatter to deceive for me unfortunately, superb on their day but neither have enough of them.

Not an Auty fan personally but can imagine Buster wanting him in after one or two of his displays towards the end of the season.