British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

57 minutes ago, semion said:

I remember back in the Premier League heyday when Buster had sponsors queuing up to throw money at him.  Seem to recall we had 3 'shirt' sponsor's at one time ( Money Centre, Jark and Banham Poulty)  That must have amounted to some serious wonga, it was suggested it amounted to a 6 figure sum, combined. That for a club in the 2nd Tier of British Speedway.  I would think those days are long gone.

For me, back in those days everything was rosey in the garden.  The fans were happy and were involved with the riders.  Buster was happy , sponsorship and decent gates.  The riders were happy as we had a successful team so there was plenty of points money to be had.  JC was pulling the PR strings and making the whole nights entertainment something that fans were looking forward to week on week.  Then we decided to move up with the big boys.  Interaction between riders and fans all but disappeared, sponsorship was harder to come by, riders were picking up pay cheques then onto to the next gig.  Fans no longer felt 'part' of the Club.  JC upped sticks and left ( many know and understand why).    With all this going on Buster was just content to re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic ( or the equivalent of)

The money from sponsorship today's if far greater. Stadium sponsors from Adrian Flux and club sponsorship with Tru Plant. These names far outstrip those names that have gone before.

I would say that King's Lynn could survive with half the crowds with those names backing them up. 

At the end of the day, sponsorship always comes to an end, fans are for life. When we feel we don't matter we won't turn up. 

King's Lynn will reap what they sow. They certainly ain't sowing the seeds of supporters. If that continues it's obvious what happens at the end.

Daniel Smith wrote on another thread " 

"Jonathan wasn't to everyone's cup of tea, but he did always put himself on the front line and stood up to every bullet fired on this forum. Always posted press releases, team changes etc very pronto.

He did all the same when on social media too, Twitter and Facebook. Always answered questions, even the questionable moments regarding postponement with opposition fans.

Lots of people didn't like him but was very approachable and got things done.

While stadium improvements are continuing and the new scoreboard is an excellent edition the sound system has seriously been neglected. "

Regarding Jonathon Chapman - he did at least listen or read fan feedback and attempt to do something about it. I was commenting on the same thread " the continuing decline of speedway" that in feedback to the KLS management over three years ago we ( a small group of regulars ) one thing we complained about was the muffled, mostly inaudible rider interviews that should provide some interest in the break between races. This could be improved at almost no cost by tweaking existing gear. But no - one within the promotion is listening to any suggestion put forward. We were not asking for the AFA to be roofed over.

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The money from sponsorship today's if far greater. Stadium sponsors from Adrian Flux and club sponsorship with Tru Plant. These names far outstrip those names that have gone before.

I would say that King's Lynn could survive with half the crowds with those names backing them up. 

At the end of the day, sponsorship always comes to an end, fans are for life. When we feel we don't matter we won't turn up. 

King's Lynn will reap what they sow. They certainly ain't sowing the seeds of supporters. If that continues it's obvious what happens at the end.

The Money Flux is sticking in is for the Stadium, not the Speedway.     I would think If you amortised the amount paid that the % would be small for the twice (ish) Monthly Speedway of say 1200-1500 people.   I would doubt the money from Tru Plant would cover what the other 3 were handing over.  Plus lets not forget this was back in the days of 2nd Tier of British Speedway, paying out 2nd tier wages.  Not Top Level Speedway ( for the UK).  Plus I would suggest wages have gone up somewhat since 2006 (ish).  All this without even factoring the change in the rate of the EURO to the £ which is somewhere around 25-30% difference now.

19 hours ago, stevehone said:

noticed quite a few Kings Lynn supporters at Peterborough recently .. is it due to a lack of regular meetings at KL?

I would think so Steve.Even i have nearly considered it,but then can't bring myself to go and watch it as it isn't my team.I went a couple of times to watch Workington with someone back in the old PL,even though i liked to see him do well it still wasn't the same as watching your own club you support race.

54 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I would think so Steve.Even i have nearly considered it,but then can't bring myself to go and watch it as it isn't my team.I went a couple of times to watch Workington with someone back in the old PL,even though i liked to see him do well it still wasn't the same as watching your own club you support race.

I think the action is pretty good at Boro and of course Sunday speedway, as u say, suits a lot of people, I would much rather go to Mildenhall though to support all our local boys.... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrss said:

Charles Wright is looking for a Premier club. Is it time he replaced Thomas Jorgensen in the Stars team?

Not as a straight replacement he can't.Think the only one at the moment is possibly young Kasper that may need replacing.

1 hour ago, mrss said:

Charles Wright is looking for a Premier club. Is it time he replaced Thomas Jorgensen in the Stars team?

If you wanted Wright for TJ,you would have to get rid of 2. Example Kasper on a 4 and say Kerr and replace with Wright and a rider around a 3.5 point ave(not looked at the aves.Just an example)..

Edited by Bald Bloke

2 hours ago, Clive Ward said:

Don’t know if I’ve missed something but has the draw been made for the semifinals of the ko cup and if it has who have we got.

Pretty sure we have Swindon.

Proctor at reserve from July 1st.A bit of back up from the no7 now and we could get back into the play off frame.

Edited by tellboy

10 hours ago, tellboy said:

Pretty sure we have Swindon.

Proctor at reserve from July 1st.A bit of back up from the no7 now and we could get back into the play off frame.

With MPT due to miss his last Wednesday night fixture due to riding in Denmark next week its quite handy that he and Proctor are swapping.

Proctor at reserve will be useful...and he hadn't been too bad until his injury. Its a bit of a luxury with one of our reserves always being pretty decent, guess that's down to a well structured team. With NKI seemingly turned a corner we just need to get Kasper going or replaced and we could be fairly invincible as long as we can field a full team for every match 

49 minutes ago, kelvinht said:

Proctor at reserve will be useful...and he hadn't been too bad until his injury. Its a bit of a luxury with one of our reserves always being pretty decent, guess that's down to a well structured team. With NKI seemingly turned a corner we just need to get Kasper going or replaced and we could be fairly invincible as long as we can field a full team for every match 

If Lynn want the plays offs, they have to replace Kasper who is on a 4.00. Maybe it's a year or 2 to soon.

Even Kev Doolan, until the end of the season.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

If Lynn want the plays offs, they have to replace Kasper who is on a 4.00. Maybe it's a year or 2 to soon.

Doolan would be on a 5.17 ave so can't replace Andersen, would have to be a Champ rider below 5.20 to fit! Dimitri Berge? Mark Riss?

Edited by szkocjasid

On 6/28/2018 at 10:09 PM, Bald Bloke said:

Totally agree! Say what you like about Matt Ford (i'm not a fan) but his only thought process is making his team successful. He's just got Frederik Jakobsen in on an assessed 4.00 average which is the same as Kasper Andersen's. For me Jakobsen is far far better than Andersen. Why aren't the Lynn management looking for these opportunities or are they???

I very much doubt if they are. They always look to give the riders they first choose, plenty of time to settle in. If F. Jakobsen came in on a 4.00 Poole continue to be remarkably lucky or totally in the know. KA must be replaced if the Stars really have ambitions.

• Like 1

Having been to a place I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy , followed by recovery in hospital  and convalescent at home , it sure puts a different outlook on ones life...      For one who thought speedway was more important than life ,    now realises  nothing is as important then that.  

It really hits  home when I read comments made about this sport,   It saddened me to read about Rye House, and all the problems relating to FRN ,   but what changes.   Every issue with the way the sport operates are self inflicted, and whatever the fans think will not change a thing.   Fans are treated with such contempt it is embarrassing.  Their views are not heard, nor wanted..

I once lived for the day when the Stars would lift that Crown of Champions,   But its not important anymore   Win or lose it has no value.   Rules are altered to suit the few and the masses can only follow.   I will still go to watch and enjoy the spectacle of 4 men racing,  but apart from that,  the sport has nothing else to give  ….  

NB:  I hope Rye House receives the help they desperately need,  but I cant see it happening.        The whole sport is governed  by   'Sod you / I'm alright'  philosophy  and will not alter their ways  to help other clubs.     Here lies the biggest problem...

• Like 2