British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

We are now  being silly,    next someone will suggest  bikes staked to the ground..    I like the competition between the rider and the ref, it adds much needed excitement after the follow the leader races.....

So what if a reserve gets a roller, or someone wins against the odds.  

How about the idea of a count down clock.  5.4.3.2.1 green light tapes up at the same time  or count down lights to green........ If a rider aint ready, sod him, his problem. Riders would soon know what gives.  

Might even build the excitement for the fans

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, g13webb said:

What really gets up people backs, is when the red light comes on  for the slightest infringement, riders goes back to the pits,  mechanics come out,  another 10mins of waiting about .

That is certainly one thing that does get my back up. I thought / hoped that mechanics coming out etc etc and causing delays could very simply be dealt with, IF the sport is committed to it.

• Like 2

On 19/02/2018 at 7:41 PM, g13webb said:

If only it was that simple !!..   An apology should be from the heart.   you don't need someone to tell you he his sorry, you should be able to deduct how they feel that from their behaviour.  Very few from Lynn came out with any credit from that Poole match,  What a pity they didn't follow Poole's professional approach and conducted themselves in the right a proper way.  I'm in no doubt who the main protagonists were,   and yes I was pleased they were shown the door,    Buster must take responsibility that day for a terrible prepared track.   Don't forget, these loyal supporters had to stand about for over an hour waiting for that bloody tractor going round,    That should never have happened..

After that fiasco, we then waited 3 weeks for another meeting,, Matches were called off on the strength of the weather forecast, when the night was actually rain free.  The replacements were not of the quality  one had hope for , but I understand the difficulty.   These replacements became a problem when we had   clashed meeting  and they went missing, forcing us  to ride half a team,   Strange, it usual slipped their memory to inform their loyal fans of riders missing  until they we had paid to get in.    No one occasion, NPT  was down to ride at No5,      DWP then informed the forum , NPT was riding in Denmark with Porsing.   Most of last year the supporters were   kept in the dark, and treated like mushroom,,,,

Non more so then those double headers.  On both occasions we never had a full team for the first match,   without adequate  replacements or reserves to cover, any mishap would be catastrophic.  Needless to say both second matches were an embarrassment, a pointless exercise.    In that Wolves doubleheader 2nd meeting  we attempted to compete with only 3 riders,  we ran  8 heats with only one rider in and one without any rider at all.    That's unforgivable....   We may have been offered a refund, but that was insulting .    I felt offended by the offer.  

It would have been nice for someone to have seen the dire way the fans were treated and acknowledged the situation as it was.    It would be nice to think it would never happen again,   But as of yet, apart from bringing in Brundle,  I don't see much change..

My one hope is that Brundle will be the Messiah,  we desperately need....  

I have to say that that is just about spot on. I departed last season well before the real fun started. Will I ever return? Who knows?

On 2/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, Clive Ward said:

Yes I agree with you about the start time as as I would think 99.9 % of fans would but meetings running on to around 10 o’clock isn’t something that has just started to happen. Going back 50 years my uncle used to take me to Lynn when it used to be on a Saturday night and every week before the second half final we would have to go and stand on the third bend so we could get a quick getaway to get home to watch Match of the Day so this has been going on for years and personally it would take something much worse than this to stop me attending. 

I do realise it’s a different world now and if my kids were round about 8 years old I would want them home and in bed before 10 with school the next day so I do see your point.

I started watching speedway at Sheffield in 1961. In those days Frank Varey started at 7:45 and very rarely finished later than 9:30. A meeting then consisted of 21 races and race times were almost 10 seconds slower.

In this case I long for the "good old days".

10 hours ago, stevehone said:

a lot of time is taken between heat 14 and 15, if the riders in heat 14 aren't going to be in the last race i can't see why it takes so long

I think that it is the promoter / team manager believing that they are building up the excitement of the "crowd". There is not interest in getting on with it because there is no pressure by hordes of new fans. Imagine if in football there was 5 minute ( or longer ) delay in taking a penalty.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

I think that it is the promoter / team manager believing that they are building up the excitement of the "crowd". There is not interest in getting on with it because there is no pressure by hordes of new fans. Imagine if in football there was 5 minute ( or longer ) delay in taking a penalty.

They might be if there is a last heat decider but it is pointless when the meeting has been won, it just gives more people the option to leave before others to get out of the car park but if it is very cold fans just get fed up.  

• Like 1

Ermm.I admit I'm no sports scientist,by a long shot.Everything a driver does in the car in an F1 car is logged into data.Speedway tracks vary a lot from week to week.The bikes are so basic,no computers on board,riders ride injured etc.. F1 has computers to monitor tyre pressure,downforce,driver braking,Brake balance from front to rear.Gear changes,and many more.Don't know how much you can use that with a basic bike,with no brakes,no gears.I might be way off the mark after a tipple ;)

27 minutes ago, mrss said:

On a positive note. After a long wait ,countless phone calls, and e mails , the club have refunded the rain off money owed to me from last season. 

Whilst I’m pleased you have had your refund - but what an total shambles you had to chase them with phone calls and emails - hope you had a full apology for 6 month delay in getting your refund ? 

Edited by Haza

7 hours ago, mrss said:

On a positive note. After a long wait ,countless phone calls, and e mails , the club have refunded the rain off money owed to me from last season. 

I assume that they were hoping you would give up and accept a loss?  :sad:

9 hours ago, Starboy118 said:

I assume that they were hoping you would give up and accept a loss?  :sad:

I would say you are dead right on that one - as for communications improving they really can’t get much worse .

Fingers crossed we see many improvements on and off track . 

As a general point I don't think there is any excuse for poor customer service and not putting those who pay to use your business and therefore keep it afloat first, second and third. Whatever the shortcomings of that business are excellent customer service should be an absolute minimum. It's a no brainer.

'Customers are not an interruption of our work, they are the purpose of it'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

As a general point I don't think there is any excuse for poor customer service and not putting those who pay to use your business and therefore keep it afloat first, second and third. Whatever the shortcomings of that business are excellent customer service should be an absolute minimum. It's a no brainer.

'Customers are not an interruption of our work, they are the purpose of it'.

As some will no I’m a cricket fan as well and a member at Trent Bridge- speedway could learn so much about customers service from Trent Bridge from official stewards to box office staff to catering staff they can’t do enough for you as a fan you feel valued they email fans before games about how the club is looking forward to our visit and by the time we get home there is another email saying hope you enjoyed your visit and please let’s us no if there is anything that can be done to improve the match day experience- ok two different sports one cash rich the other not in the same financial league but speedway is up against sports like this and the difference to how fans customers are treated is vast . For me it’s all about being valued as a fan rather than being taken for granted. 

• Like 6

Customer service give a company the opportunity to turn a negative into a positive. Do the job correctly you have the chance to keep that customer for life, plus the spin off when that customer tells other people ( word of mouth, social media) how well they were treated.

It’s really not rocket science 

Edited by semion
  • Like 3